Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Level 10 user

Re: are you an adrenaline junkie?

Even if your a methodical planner, there has to be that creative unnameable that you isolate, nurture, harness, whatever that gives life to the whole mess or it's just decoration or a toaster. And not even a pretty toaster.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Level 10 user

Skills are an achieved, accumulated, learned, practiced entity...Once absorbed they are at your beck and call. They will find their way into the activities you value above others. This includes that exceptional activity of Artmaking. Even in the midst of a tumultuous creative upheavel,your body will draw from your skills...but in a new or different way...a way that is often unforseen BECAUSE it was unplanned.

Musicians engage reality in a proper fashion, with physical and intellectual intensity...but like us...sometimes they are just practising, sometimes rehearsing, sometimes earning a buck, and sometimes REALLY performing. Only real difference is that they often need other creatives around them...no good.
It is not the case that athleticism will improve your art...but a unique and achieved physical approach will.

Dismiss the poets...they only pander to each other (not even to themselves) and will revel, academic spastics, in their "craft". Not a relevent artistic medium.

Last edited by evaldart : 10-08-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Level 10 user

Gee, Joe, do ya think he's needlin' ya???
Old 10-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Gee, Joe, do ya think he's needlin' ya???
Good observation.

You know Eval, either you are just tagging folks along...coool,... or are you really missing out on getting some incredible natural highs from other arts. I mean, like what you said about poets. I only recently have had some as good friends and thus increased my appreciation and enjoyment of poetry to whole new levels. So now my daughter and I go out to poetry in addition to the music shows. I'm always on the look out for any art done well, or ways of increasing my natural high in its presence by learning more. That's why I read all the books I do. I need to alternate between ways of experiencing art--visual, written, aural, creating. I 'm a junkie. I figure I'm not gonna live all that long. So might as well really enjoy life via intensity, i.e., of the adrenaline of others in artistic forms. Ya, so there. I''ve been outed. I've forced to recant my first post.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Level 10 user

To continue. There are no Kings here. There are amazing experiences to be had in so many places. The unexpected are such an effin' delight. The other night my kid and I go to a show/birthday party for a barrista music goer with lots of girl friends. Small turnout and the music is not even live but by DJs, yeah plural. BUT, it was an unforgettable experience. Three DJs playing at the same time. They improvise play lists as they take turns off each other. They were jamming. Amazing, bloody fantastic music. I even got some of the wall flowers to get down. Danced for about 3-4 hours. Major music art. Its about getting moved in a major major way. Someone else s art you enjoy and express yourself IN to fatigue. Top that!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
... So might as well really enjoy life via intensity, i.e., of the adrenaline of others in artistic forms. Ya, so there. I''ve been outed. I've forced to recant my first post.
I's okay, we knew it was a carefully worded response.
You had previously outed yourself as someone who needed to be peeled off the ceiling at the end of the night & basked in the glow of that high as you meditated the energy to the interior mix. You were slightly below half maybe on the mellow scale when you gave that initial response I'd be willing to guess.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
You were slightly below half maybe on the mellow scale when you gave that initial response I'd be willing to guess.
Cool Grommie. You're totally on the same vibe. Nice. Yeah, I'm embarrassed to say(not really, it sounds funnier that way...like I really don't read all the newspapers and magazines out there--heh, heh)I learned a knew word that day and it was swirling in my head and I just had to find a way to get it in a post to get it out of my head. It also set the mental tone of the day. Juicy thoughts can do that to you.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
...I learned a knew word that day....
umm mundane?... passion?... nourish... adrenaline..
irie... I'm sure you heard it before, but were too irie to notice.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Level 10 user

Joe, art is actually NOT a spectator sport - or some brand of entertainment. The delights you're experiencing are those advertised in the Arts and Liesure section or promoted in your local underground rag. I think it was ol' Oscar who used to refer to us artists as entertainers...maybe he's right on some level. But choosey mothers choose Art that has NO entertainment in it.

I too have paid at the door to enjoy an aural suicide-mission and wreak havoc upon the tattooed flounderers. Damn fun. And maybe, if I'm lucky, the screaming will be shrill enough, the crunch will be loud enough and the shredding will be lightning-fast and piercing enough that I will break an Art-sweat...but mostly not. Its just another good time.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Level 10 user

So how good an indicator is the sweat quotient?
Do we feel most succeeful when we can wring out a shirt as proof?
*flop sweat does not count.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Joe, art is actually NOT a spectator sport - or some brand of entertainment. The delights you're experiencing are those advertised in the Arts and Liesure section or promoted in your local underground rag
You make it sound like art only exists in the "church of art", the gallery, the museum, or the machinations of ones personal struggles for MEANING expressed in the usual ways. I'm for a bigger and more spacious art . An art that can be a shape shifter, art that will startle, surprise, bore, and make you dance, and even entertain. And to "spectator sport", I say YES! We've had this conversation before and the following statement from Oldenburg bears re quoting as my answer: http://popartmachine.com/masters/STATEMENT.htm
Old 10-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Level 10 user

Yes, Joe we've all read that idealistic quote from a young and recently matriculated Oldenburg as he dipped down with his cohorts into the "underground" with left-over beatniks. As soon as the big money came available the whole damn manifesto went out the window...he became the opposite. As that era goes I'm much more entertained by the manifestos of Rienhardt.

And no, the galleries, museums and sculpture-parks are often not much more, in function than nightclubs, stadiums or amusement parks. Sustenance will have us artists busy will all kinds dalliances, charades and distractions - we will involve ourselves in a wide range of creative efforts from the robotically usual and mundane to the shockingly magnificent. So it goes. But an awareness of what exactly IS your "finest of the fine" must be relentlessly and continuously fueled and developed. Again, you/we/the Artist MUST know which level is being executed as we perform and we must NOT pretend that ALL creative actions and producings are equal. We must know how to be prepared for the REAL thing and initiate it when the time is right...these heightened efforts needn't have anything to do with the general human sustenance...but they might.

I could scribble-down a different manifesto at breakfast every morning - but I relish the experience of the 6 eggs and grits far too much to taint that time with brainyisms.

Last edited by evaldart : 10-09-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
...enjoy an aural suicide-mission and wreak havoc upon the tattooed flounderers. ... the crunch will be loud enough and the shredding will be lightning-fast and piercing enough ... another good time.
OK
while it seems that all of those words are encompassed within the language I know
their combination leaves me bereft of comprehension
rephrased
I ain't gotta clue
or
huh?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Again, you/we/the Artist MUST know which level is being executed as we perform and we must NOT pretend that ALL creative actions and producings are equal
Of course they are not equal. Depends on your personal appetites, what the daily menu offers, and how awake you are at the moment. I don't need the "finest of the fine" all the time, or even most of the time. I've got no interest in assessments and those kind of measurements. I'll embrace all sorts of descriptors. Its kind of a Walt Whitman thing, or Zen thing, or....
Old 10-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
OK
while it seems that all of those words are encompassed within the language I know
their combination leaves me bereft of comprehension
rephrased
I ain't gotta clue
or
huh?
I think he was referring to "music" made by violent criminal escapees from the planet Zorgon, described on another post as being on the other side of a line I have drawn as to what music gets played in my studio.

Apparently, and I base this on conjecture rather than experience, there is some ritualistic behavior that accompanies large gatherings of those who are attracted to this type of sound fest. It was this ritual that evaldart was describing.

Unless I'm mistaken, and he was in fact referring to the democratic national convention.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, and he was in fact referring to the democratic national convention.
That reminds me of an article by Norman Mailer that never got published in Esquire because the magazine feared a libel suit from the Republicans over its title. And Mailer refused to write for them until they agreed that he had absolute right to have his own titles. The Mailer title feared by Esquire was "Cannibals and Christians" for the 1964 Republican convention. Things just never change.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Again, you/we/the Artist MUST know which level is being executed as we perform and we must NOT pretend that ALL creative actions and producings are equal. We must know how to be prepared for the REAL thing and initiate it when the time is right...these heightened efforts needn't have anything to do with the general human sustenance...but they might.
Unless the "real thing" is a cumulative experience/action. Let go of your hierarchical scale and let all these creative (and non-creative) acts mix freely. Not all parts need be equal - either in amounts or perceived value.

I very much doubt anyone can separate themselves so completely from these “other” influences to reach your imagined Art Nirvana – and, more importantly, why on Earth would anyone want to?!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
and, more importantly, why on Earth would anyone want to?!
Really, why on Earth of all places. Its not always location, location, location. Accelerating beyond the escape velocity of contemporary, let alone past culture(on said Earth) is sooo cool. Anyways, that's what I always say. It even has GlennT always inventing terms to try and keep up.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Level 10 user

Sorry - my bad. Thats what I get for using language (and all its shortcomings).