Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Level 10 user

Self-Portraiture and Sculpture

Self-portraiture in sculpture doesn’t appear to have nearly tradition (nor scholarship) as self-portraiture produced in 2D media. Even so, it seems to have picked up in the last 20 year with folks like Tim Hawkinson, Marc Quinn, Charles Ray, Janine Antoni and Rona Pondick. Anyone out there sculpting self-portraits….representational or otherwise?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Self-Portraiture and Sculpture

Looking in the mirror hurts. I'm getting old. I'd do it if I thought there was any money in it. I don't see any one stepping forward with a fat check for a self portrait of me. I like the idea, I just don't see it happening.......which is sad. Oh well, maybe someday...on my own dime.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Level 10 user

ditto on the mirror thing. Although my mother has stopped asking me to at least try and look pleasant, people still ask me if I feel ill or tired. It gets old. So my "self portraits" are more a state of mind thing, with no correlation to the mirrored mug.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Sculptor

It's partly a matter of relative cost. Canvas and paint are much cheaper that bronze or stainless steel. Also an ego thing. It probably wouldn't sell, and I don't want myself staring back at me.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie View Post
It's partly a matter of relative cost. Canvas and paint are much cheaper that bronze or stainless steel. Also an ego thing. It probably wouldn't sell, and I don't want myself staring back at me.
But think of the green you would save on model costs!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
But think of the green you would save on model costs!
Yeah, but supplying the pepto for the galley opening would negate any savings.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 AM
ISC Member

Seem to be on the outside in this thread, but I consider every piece I do as a self-portrait. Not that I am trying to look-at or reproduce my physical appearance literally (I am not), but no matter the objective subject the subjective object can't help but be about me and my perceptions, can it? Ergo, all pieces are a self-portrait. (You did say "representational or otherwise" <grin>)

Don
www.dondougan.com
Old 04-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Level 10 user

Don, I certainly agree that our works are autobiographical, but self portrait implies the representation of ones image whether real, idealized or abstract.

I've been working on some self portaits, a whole series in fact. I'm not going to share this work until all pieces are complete. I don't know how far I'll take this series but I've been keeping it a secret (at least the actual work) from everybody, including my wife. I'm using the self-portrait as a vehicle of self discovery. The portraits are all idealized or distorted in some way, and I'm not spending much time in making them. Get the feeling of the piece and get out, that's what I'm trying to do.

Alfred
Old 04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
ISC Member

I did a self portrait (In my own style, of course) a long time ago. I have reproduced that in all sort of materials, and lately have sold quite a few of them (Same mold, quite different outcomes). I tend to sell my self portrait with the portrait of one or two others as pairs / tiros. I love the way they look.

Any way, I also have painted, and the big difference is that in painting I can see myself in 2D very clearly. One pose, one lighting, one outcome - all depending on my chosen position.

With a sculpture It becomes much harder, because I can't see my back, my sides as clearly as my front, etc. Pictures are ok, but not great either. The nuances of tiny muscles are lost even in photos.

My guess is that this difficulty in seeing is what produces the reduced number of self portraits we tend to see.

Ari.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Level 6 user

the Icon i use here the "stretchy face" is my original self portriat. for the ultimate version goto http://realsculpt.com/page2.html and bive it a few seconds to load, this digital version is my real self portait to the fullest. It was originally going to be a robotic sculpture, but money and time got in the way, the digital on on the link is the next best thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stretchy copy1.gif
Views:	134
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	8275  

Last edited by realsculpt : 04-27-2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: add link
Old 04-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Level 10 user

Looks and mirror are silly excuses for not doing it. I always looked with special interest at self-portraits because some truths are disclosed wittingly or unwittingly. It's hard to lie to the face in the mirror. Multiple self-portraits also document the personal and artistic development of the artist. I definitely want to make one at least, the only thing that's holding me back is I'm not sure I have the skill required yet--but I might give it a try anyways.

This is a self-portrait of one of my favourite sculptors:

http://www.lindsaydaen.com/pages/page9.htm
Old 04-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
Looks and mirror are silly excuses for not doing it. I always looked with special interest at self-portraits because some truths are disclosed wittingly or unwittingly...
Silly for you. Do your portrait, it's not about the skills you have, it's about what you hope to gain.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondougan View Post
Seem to be on the outside in this thread, but I consider every piece I do as a self-portrait. Not that I am trying to look-at or reproduce my physical appearance literally (I am not), but no matter the objective subject the subjective object can't help but be about me and my perceptions, can it? Ergo, all pieces are a self-portrait. (You did say "representational or otherwise" <grin>)

Don
www.dondougan.com
Yeah, Don's right. Your entire body of work will show-off the real you far better better than a likeness or charicature. Just as you change from year to year (day to day) so should the work you produce.
There will always be some lies in the representational versions (how your might WISH to be seen) that will take into account viewers. And the viewers should not participate in the Art coming-into-being.

But, as a readily available and handy model, or a technical challenge, your own mug is as good as any. Because the'yre ALL about YOU anyway (if your barking up the right trees).
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Level 10 user

After several long days studying sculpture at the Louve I walked back to my hotel, under a hunters moon. That night I had a dream about the Three Graces playing on my head. On the base I sculpted Artemis, the Greek Goddess of hunting and wild nature..

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Graces.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	10846  
Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
There will always be some lies in the representational versions (how your might WISH to be seen) that will take into account viewers. And the viewers should not participate in the Art coming-into-being.
That's precisely the challenge that's worth taking on. How to ignore or fight off that WISH, and just be honest. I imagine it's not an easy thing to do.

Giotto, what a beautiful work of your dream!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Level 10 user

Honesty is easy; it's living with it that's hard.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahirschman View Post
I did a self portrait (In my own style, of course) a long time ago. I have reproduced that in all sort of materials, and lately have sold quite a few of them (Same mold, quite different outcomes). I tend to sell my self portrait with the portrait of one or two others as pairs / tiros. I love the way they look.

Any way, I also have painted, and the big difference is that in painting I can see myself in 2D very clearly. One pose, one lighting, one outcome - all depending on my chosen position.

With a sculpture It becomes much harder, because I can't see my back, my sides as clearly as my front, etc. Pictures are ok, but not great either. The nuances of tiny muscles are lost even in photos.

My guess is that this difficulty in seeing is what produces the reduced number of self portraits we tend to see.

Ari.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Done it in paint a few times yrs ago, can't see what I'm trying to create if I tried it in clay (unless I tried it as a relief, like on a coin or something), but I'm not a head of state or anything, so I doubt that'll happen!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
Anyone out there sculpting self-portraits….representational or otherwise?

Not unless you count Don's view on it, which seems okay by me, but someday I will after the ten jillion other more important things there are that I want to do first. Plus, the BIG one, the reality...

Oh, Real and Giotto, fabulous work.