Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Nasty Foods

I dont know if I believe the "life force in food" theory- but I am in total agreement with Glenn about not using microwaves.

My reasons are simple-

1- Microwave ovens are ugly, and I dont want one in my kitchen.
2- those spinning disc things make me dizzy.
3- The food tastes mushy and funky when you nuke it.

Instead, I am a longtime fan of what we call, "MR. Toasty".
He is a 2 shelf Sanyo Toaster Oven, tall enough for proper piles of leftover macaroni and cheese, or dagwood sandwiches, bagels or tuna melts, using predictable and visible heat.

I like to see my cooking forces, I am just old fashioned that way- mostly I cook on a gas cooktop, or a convection electric oven.

I cant see microwaves, so I dont truss em.
Thats my story, and I am sticking to it.
Plus, look how cute Mr. Toasty is.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Level 10 user

Allright, since Anatomist and Glen have turned this into a microwave thing, I can roll. As function goes, sometimes some foods are inhaled more pleasurably hot that cold (or frozen). I eat a helluva a lot of frozen burritos per week to stay properly fueled between meals. If I can choose 4 minutes or FORTY...its a no brainer. And the things taste like shit anyway. I need the calories and protein...period...and quickly. I could never be what I must be without a microwave.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Level 10 user

You got a tapeworm or sumthin?
You can also warm the burritos on your engine block if you're desparate & have the budget studio/workplace.

We have a single decker toast guy with weird temp settings. It does get a workout.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Level 10 user

gas station burritos, nasty but fine after sucking down a twelver
Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigktx View Post
gas station burritos, nasty but fine after sucking down a twelver

You know it Brother. I lived in Ranger Texas for a year. 1 gas station on interstate 20. It had the COLDEST beer and the BEST deep fried burritos I've ever had in my life. I Think about them all the time.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Level 10 user

threw a bowling ball into a running microwave once, why i forget now.
i ran around rather fast after that.

bad thing about bowling microwaves is the lack of nasty frozen foods.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
If I can choose 4 minutes or FORTY...its a no brainer. And the things taste like shit anyway..
You're supposed to cook those things?

If I can pick 4 mnutes and zero it's a no brainer. No microwaves for me since the great popcorn disaster of 87', the box said 4 minutes so in it went. I hardly even use the 1959 leave it to beaver stove, usually just the wood one. Pot of gruel or chili and just keep addin a little water and stuff every day to keep it from dryin out too much. Once she's empty ya just fill it up again with something new and dinner's always ready.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Level 10 user

a hippie punk rocker in the microwave might make for a interesting piece at
the next members show.

oops just more word association.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
a hippie punk rocker in the microwave might make for a interesting piece
I feel threatened.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Anatomist1: You are free to dismiss scientific research and poison your own body, but your communication skills impact others and I hope someday you work on those.

You seem to enjoy making up things about people and then showing how foolish they are for being the thing you made up. For example, you conclude that my view of knowledge and truth is if you see a lot of pages on the web, it must be true. The motivation here is to demean one's intelligence by making them appear stupid.

All I did was to respond to your original premise, which, and I quote directly rather than make it up: " This is silliness that can easily be debunked with about 5 minutes and an internet connection."

So, my point was, that there are 50,700 entries one could go to on the topic of how microwaved food is harmful. So, MY POINT was microwaved food being harmful is not easily debunked with 5 minutes on the internet.
You would have to cover a lot of data, research, multiple sources, references, and then decide what you want to believe. I think the 5 minutes was referring to someone who has already made up their mind and does not chose to learn anything.

I'm sorry my analogies made you sad. But I did warn you that they were silly, having come from my limited non-scientific understanding. I think that your belief that food is not alive may be foundational to why you think microwaves are harmless.

My belief, which is foundational to my position, is that cells in good food have a life-force, unless they are destroyed by such methods as microwaves and become harmful free-radicals in the body. As to the science behind such a belief, I invite you to read some of the articles as earlier noted, which cite specific scientific research. If you have a dispute with their evidence, take it to them, not to me. I'm not trying to make anyone paranoid, I'm trying to encourage better health, even for name-calling rascals!
You know, if you weren't constantly propagating ignorance, fear, and political tyranny, I might actually feel sorry for you. You have demonstrated that your understanding of physics barely approaches a high school level, and your basic thinking skills may even lag behind that. I must have been awfully bored to even dignify your word salad with attempted counter-arguments. Somehow it still amazes me that you can strut away from such abject intellectual humiliation with a smug attitude.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatomist1 View Post
You know, if you weren't constantly propagating ignorance, fear, and political tyranny, I might actually feel sorry for you. You have demonstrated that your understanding of physics barely approaches a high school level, and your basic thinking skills may even lag behind that. I must have been awfully bored to even dignify your word salad with attempted counter-arguments. Somehow it still amazes me that you can strut away from such abject intellectual humiliation with a smug attitude.
Thanks again for raising the level of discussion to new heights of civility!

I appreciate your condescending to come down from your lofty heights long enough to grace us with your superior knowledge.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Level 10 user

Spam, use to eat it but we put one outside in the middle of winter in Colorado
and nothing would eat it.
it petrified that winter and became a weird paper weight.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Level 10 user

Oh spam... When I was a kid, my mom would grind spam and chesse together, spread it on bread & then toast it in the oven. We thought that was pretty special.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Level 10 user

"An empty stomach is never a good adviser" my fortune last night at the chinese restaurant...seriously.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Level 10 user

Good one Evaldart.
Another heirloom family favorite that grosses my husband out. For breakfast, cornbread with sweetened milk sauce. Diehards also put syrup on top. I was informed it was really cake & pudding.... So what's wrong with that???
Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Level 10 user

frog legs, yumm, i eat them with a side of crawdads.
squirrels not bad either but i havent been back to Illinois the shoot the big ones in years.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Level 10 user

i remembered one more nasty food i have eaten and liked,
its head cheese anyone else eat this fine and nasty spam like dish?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Level 10 user

I've heard of it, never had it. But I have had plenty of brain tacos...and pickled pigs feet (a negative-calory food, mind you...as the vigorous gnawing will burn far more than the meager shredded bits that you manage to tear-off). Cant find em in Massachusetts.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Level 10 user

I put a bee hive in a microwave once. I would not suggest it. the party was over pretty fast after that. As for eating in the studio? Well I have a wood burning stove in there so I cook over it all the time(more like let it cook). I figure if it gets hot enough that I can heat treat in it I should be able to cook deer sausage. Craigktx long live GBH, Black Flag,and the Circle Jerks! Put me in a micrwave and watch me get smokin man.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Level 3 user

Hey quit being so critical of microwaves. They are excellent for drying off a wet cat.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbud838 View Post
Hey quit being so critical of microwaves. They are excellent for drying off a wet cat.
That started out as an urban myth, but is unfortunately on record as having happened several times, in the UK, Canada, and US. At least one time I found, by kids. Since this joke has already inspired people to commit numerous actual acts of torture, I'd say it's officially no longer funny.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Level 5 user

[quote=tonofelephant;67011]Nasty foods include some great Southern Cooking. Grits made at any Your House in NC with a small pat of butter oozing through the top surface of the grits.

mmmm.... Your House... Waffle House... the best of all is Granny's Country Kitchen... red eye gravy over biscuits made with rat back and a side of slimy collard greens that slip down your throat lubricated with a healthy helping of fat back and thick cut bacon... i'm also a big fan of pickle and peanut butter sandwiches... and miracle whip banana sandwiches
Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Level 10 user

The Dot Cafe just off I-90 in Houston had the soupiest juevos rancheros on earth...cold tortilla topped with 3 barely cooked sunnyside-up eggs, waterd-down salsa all hiding beneath a mountain of grated cheese, sour cream and jalapeno peppers. What a fix at three-AM after countless beers.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Level 10 user

So, who watches " Iron Chef ". I like the Japanese version better but will suffer through " Iron Chef America " if that is all that is on. Many nasty foods to think about. Looking forward to sea urchin roe and fattened goose liver. They make it look so tasty. The magic of TV.

Andrew Zimmern, Anthony Bourdane ( sp ? ), these guys are great. They make me want to expand my horizons. Most of it is so nasty, I gotta have some.

Nasty foods, a gateway to nasty sculptures ?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Level 10 user

Yes Aaron. As this thread demonstrates; many of the things we are passionate about would be considered undesirable or "nasty" by their sheer unique-ness. These odd pleasures metaphor odd tastes in Art (what we make as well as what we like to look at). It is possible that these kinds of strengths, or our ability to visually "stomach" a certain aesthetic, defines us.

So, when you go to the museum are you looking for "Tea and toast" or are you looking for a "Western jalapeno BBQ burger (rare) with the onion rings on the INSIDE"?