Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Level 2 user

Re: Let's See Some Work!!!

I agree with the foot. The size is larger than I planned and will be eventually lessened. One question - This was done the last 3 days of an evening class, and the class is now over, so the model is also not available. What is usually done when you need to finish a piece and the class is over?

I currently have 3 unfinished pieces that need fine detailing, and have no models. Even though I am female, my hands are large and not appropriate for use as a model in this, same with my feet. Perhaps thats why my hands and feet end up larger than they should be.

Attached is a frontal view of the same piece - to show the placement of the hands and feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB290063.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	9742  
Old 12-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Level 10 user

Choices include: 1. Find a friend or someone else to model, even if it just their foot. 2. Look for a book with reference photos for the areas you need to work on. Illustrator's Reference Manual: Nudes which came out about 15 years ago is good. It has a variety of poses, male and female, each shot from a number of 360 degree camera rotations and 3 different heights.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Level 2 user

Thanks, I will check for that book this weekend.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Level 2 user

Just registered today. Looks like some great work here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D14_4263_640_bbframe.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	9799  Click image for larger version

Name:	D16_5471_f_sfr_640.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	9800  Click image for larger version

Name:	D5_260_400_opt.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	9801  Click image for larger version

Name:	D12_3430_35K_450_solid_bevelf.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	9802  
Old 12-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Level 10 user

Allen, welcome aboard. Thanks for sharing your works... looks good. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Cheers!!

Alfred
Old 01-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Level 1 user

Helloo ,

i am a total newbie here
and this is somehow my first serious sculpting with clay " I call it , the man sleeping in the metro"

give me some hard critique so i can improve my work , thanks a lot

Old 01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Level 10 user

Welcome!
On this piece, the roughness works in the light it was photographed in, but I wonder what it looks like in "daylight". I don't think it would hold up as well. Off the top of my head, it seems like you could use some additional sculpting tools to assist in the modeling...
None-the-less, the results are pleasing, keep at it.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Level 10 user

What's most important, your figure has a presence. I like the roughness, but I don't think it would hurt a bit more detail on the hands and face. It's a great start!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
What's most important, your figure has a presence. I like the roughness, but I don't think it would hurt a bit more detail on the hands and face. It's a great start!

I agree. While attention-to-detail is less important than the un-namable "presence" to which Rika refers, this piece seems a bit "general" to me. More of your meddling will be required.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Level 10 user

It's important that you not get sucked into detail that isn't important to you. It needs a little nudge, but YOU need to decide what that is. It may only be a crease at the elbow or a detail picked out to draw more attention. The weight of the figure, the gravity is there, the waiting is there... What else?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Level 10 user

From what I can see in the photo, it appears as though there is a significant amount of body mass missing between the stomach and the thighs. It is as though the figure had sunk into a seat composed of feathers and his rear end and upper thighs had dissappeared.

What you did well was to capture the mood of the piece, which the anatomical corrections as stated here and earlier will help to make more convincing.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Level 1 user

wow , i didn't expect many comments , thank you very much

well about the detail i too like it to have a little more detail but the thing is , its quite small and i don't have too much control with my entire tools

the model is about 20 cm high

thanks again , everybody
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Level 3 user

Hello All,

Last year was pretty busy, so I wasn't able to do as much online reading.

One project I did was to take the bust of actor Vic Morrow and turn it into a 30'' tall figure in his roll as Sgt. Saunders from the TV show COMBAT!. I took a resin cast of the head out of the mold and while the resin was curing added a 30'' aluminum armature into the mold. After demolding the resin bust attached to the armature, I attached the armature to a pipe for support and then sculpted the helmet and rest of the figure in full WWII regalia.

I have been constructing a 3d pantograph / tracer in the studio and should have it up and running in a couple weeks. I looking forward to using the machine for future projects. I'm also designing a smaller 3d pantograph / tracer that I plan on offering to sculptors.

Mike K

Old 02-07-2009, 03:02 AM
Level 10 user

Well done. So tight !!!

Capturing the quality of the fabric could be developed a tad more, you know it doesn't have as much texture as you suggest. Other than that, it's perfect.
What a great photo !!!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Level 10 user

Great portrait and great resculpt. I remember that portrait from a long while back. You've done a good job on giving him the feeling of a real soldier, stopping for a moment to be captured in this sculpt.

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

Alfred
Old 02-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Level 10 user

What I like is the overal natural quality of the pose. What I don't like as well is the puffiness around the waist makes the energy of the figure sag...to use extremes to make the point, that one aspect makes it tend more towards couch potato than heroic. The bust, by itself, has the strength that suggests the heroic, as should the subject. If the chest and stomach masses were reversed, it would draw the energy up and then all I would have to say would be, "Bravo!".
Old 02-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Level 3 user

Thanks for all your responses.

To comment on the puffiness of the jacket, I would agree "if" I were creating a heroic pose or posture the jacket may stop the flow of dramatic energy creating a more heroic effect. But that wasn't my goal nor the challenge with this composition.

If you get a chance to watch Vic Morrow's performance as Sgt. Saunders you would notice the non-heroic take of the character, yet Vic's roll of Saunders was awarded for his accurate portrayal of an Army Sergeant.
Since it was a portrait (full figure) of Vic Morrow in his role as Saunders, I wanted to make sure that the feeling of the body, his clothes and pose portrayed his character.

In regard to the M-41 jacket, puffing out here and there from the belt line, it's quite normal in all servicemen. The pose was suppose to represent a real soldier as Vic Morrow portrayed him in the series COMBAT! not a super hero. I think this portrayal gives a feel of vivid reality to what a soldier goes through during war time.

Again thanks for all your comments, I welcome them!

Mike K
Old 02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Level 10 user

Mike:
The realism of a character in a tv show works for me, from the hands to the stance and over-all balance.
even the jacket and slightly hunches shoulders bespeak the weariness of combat, or tight tv production schedules
even the thought that only in the movies would anyone wear those nice shiny target dogtags outside their uniform, clanging like a bell and sparkling in the moonlight
bravo
Old 02-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Level 1 user

Re Some work to show.

This is my first visit. I am working on a project (Romeo/Juliet) for Pyramid Sculpture Park and Museum in Hamilton OH. Picture of Juliet just finished in clay. She is 11' tall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07369 a.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	10194  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Level 2 user

Let's See Some Work!!!

Good day all,
Attached is a current piece that I am working on - still in class. Please give honest feedback on this. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	J1a.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	11661  Click image for larger version

Name:	J3a.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	11662  Click image for larger version

Name:	J4a.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	11663  Click image for larger version

Name:	J2c.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	11664  Click image for larger version

Name:	J5b.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	11665  

Old 11-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Level 10 user

Very good.

RD
Old 11-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Level 10 user

Klron this looks great but the two creases at the back of the neck look to straight deep or some thing.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Level 2 user

I was wondering if the creases translated properly. I will have to work on that. Do you think they are too deep, or just not done correctly. He had some lose skin that created folds. Perhaps if I softened them.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRON View Post
I was wondering if the creases translated properly. I will have to work on that. Do you think they are too deep, or just not done correctly. He had some lose skin that created folds. Perhaps if I softened them.

I think the horizontal crease on the right extends too far to the spine in the neck and the creases depth ends abruptly, I would gradually reduce the depth and the steepness of the creases walls towards the spine so it gives the effect that the crease is gradually ending instead of abruptly ending.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Re Some work to show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam mckinney View Post
This is my first visit. I am working on a project (Romeo/Juliet) for Pyramid Sculpture Park and Museum in Hamilton OH. Picture of Juliet just finished in clay. She is 11' tall.
Stunning. Is the crevices in the leg intentional? I would prefer them smooth like the face shoulders etc.