Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Level 1 user

Lest We Forget

The Consquences of War,

An Alternative to the memorials which glorify war

Carved from a piece of driftwood, Life Size

Old 01-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Lest We Forget

very striking. Are the boots decorated military-style? They read both construction worker and military to me, so was looking at definitive clues. I see the blood to so that tips it...
Very striking
Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Elliott View Post
The Consquences of War,

An Alternative to the memorials which glorify war
Most war memorials don't glorify war, but they glorify virtues embodied by those called to serve in the hell that is war.

Some consequences of war in the last 150 or so years have included the elimination of slavery in America, the freedom of Europe from Nazis, the saving of races of people from extinction, the freedom of nations from communist rule or that of other tyrannts.

I would love for there to be a better way to accomplish these things without the consequences your sculpture calls attention to. But such is the history of Earth.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Level 10 user

I love it, think it is beautiful. I Dont get or care about the war message, but it's physicality and the variations/changes that happen within it are fresh and original (and yes, the narrative is served, but that is not why this is a good sculpture). Great work.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Level 10 user

Very striking. Any chance you could lose the base? A sculpture like this will have greater psychological presence if it occupies the same space as your viewer. The base you have now mediates that experience. An alternative might be to make the base even more monumental. Seems to functional the way it is.

Again - exquisite work.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Level 10 user

Excellent. I don't think anyone can leave that place unmoved by your powerful work.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Level 1 user

I live on a small island off mainland Scotland, I'm not starved by lack of direct communication with artists, as there are a number who are seeking the same peace and tranquility to pursue there work here, but we do live in a very safe environment with no really unexpected happenings, therefore we are a rather contented and maybe quite boring bunch.

Formerly a soldier in the British Army for over ten years, an injury and a stroke completely change my life, ambitions, personality, my visions and desires, but It gave me a totally new beginning which is quite a wonderful experience.

For the past thirty years I've been a successful jobbing figureative carver/sculptor, designing and creating works for industry, public and private businesses, including churches and other large public buildings, I have a book full of work for many years to come.

I 've reached the official age of retirement, but as you all know art is something you cannot retire from. but I have retired from commissions and will be pursuing all those works which maybe surface when looking inwards for inspiration rather than outwards to the wants of the commissioners.

I'm grateful for your comments

hopefully there is more to come
Old 01-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Sculptor

Fine work, Marvin. I spent a student year at U. Glasgow many years ago, and truly loved the area. I also have Scottish ancestry that I discovered after the visit. What island are you on?
Old 01-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Level 10 user

very nice work Marvin. i really enjoyed looking at your work on your website very inspiring.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Marvin,

Your sculpture is simply wonderfull, they way you`ve handled such nobel material and your message, both top notch. Congratulations. Please show us more.

Last edited by Nelson : 01-24-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks Chris for mentioning Marvin's website. Very nice work to be seen there.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Level 10 user

yes Marvin the website is good, i particularly enjoyed the sculptures. i found your work very inspiring not only for its great skill and variability but because of that which is often forgotten in this fraught world, love.
perhaps we should all consider living on an island.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Level 1 user

racine
We would loive to have you in Scotland, Your hands on foundry and experience would melt the hearts of all sculptors over here. What a wonderful resouce for the artists of Hongkong