Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2003, 08:46 AM
Level 2 user

Paper Mache/Rosco Foamcoat

Hello,
I just joined this discussion group.
Are there any paper mache artists?
I have been working with paper mache a little over two years.
I have had one public display and have sold some of my work.

My plan for the New Year is to make several dog mannequins and try to market them to some upscale dog supply businesses in the area where I live.
I also make holiday dog apparel which has sold welll on ebay so I plan to offer that along with my paper mache dogs.

I strive to achieve a smooth finish on my paper mache objects and have had
success filing pulp and coating it with joint compound.
I was reading about Rosco Foamcoat and read it was compatible with paper mache.
Does anyone have experience using Rosco Foamcoat?
I would apprecaite any comments you have about this product.
Thanks..

My paper mache group:
www.PMfun@yahoogroups.com
Old 12-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Level 6 user

Re: Paper Mache/Rosco Foamcoat

I don't have any experience with these materials but I would like to see some links to your work. I was seriously considering paper mache for a life size fantacy charactor. This was years ago, but still interesting.

lets see the doggie stuff!?!
Old 12-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Casey
I don't have any experience with these materials but I would like to see some links to your work. I was seriously considering paper mache for a life size fantacy charactor. This was years ago, but still interesting.

lets see the doggie stuff!?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephen, I don't have a website.
Why not join my PMfun yahoogroup?
There are many albums there of my paper mache & others work.

Also the PMfungallery has several pics of my work plus others.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:32 PM

hi kimpak, welcome on this site!
I have a very few experience in "papier maché" that I can translate "chewing paper"
but the technic could be interresting and I'd like to visualize your work. could you charge a selection of your favorite pieces on this forum?
Old 12-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Level 2 user

Here is 3 pics of my work:
Chihuahua Santa in Chimney. Sold!
Cash Cow Sold!
Lifesize Chihuahua mannequin wearing Christmas apparel made by me.
Bonnie

I hope my pics show.This is the first time I have tried attaching pics on this discussion board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chisantachimney.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	283  Click image for larger version

Name:	moola.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	284  Click image for larger version

Name:	xmasTgreen&red.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	285  
Old 12-28-2003, 10:32 PM
Level 6 user

When I back in the chips i'll have to commision a cash cow. I could put it next to the treasure chest in my livingroom.

As for joining any more forums, im shying away from any more so I will have time to sculpt. A couple post or replies in here a day motivates me. See everyones completed works puts coal in my fire. How big was the cash cow?
Old 12-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Level 6 user

Nice detail in the puppies. Very cute, and the larger photos loaded after pressing their images. What exactly was the material. A custom blend or a pre-made mache mix?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:14 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
When I back in the chips i'll have to commision a cash cow. I could put it next to the treasure chest in my livingroom.

As for joining any more forums, im shying away from any more so I will have time to sculpt. A couple post or replies in here a day motivates me. See everyones completed works puts coal in my fire. How big was the cash cow?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephen,
That would be great if you want a cow. Approx. measurments are 12X12.

I understand about joining another forum. Time can really get away sitting as this computer!

Do you have pics posted of your work or a website link?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:27 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Nice detail in the puppies. Very cute, and the larger photos loaded after pressing their images. What exactly was the material. A custom blend or a pre-made mache mix?
Stehen,

I use several different kinds of paper with my paper mache.
Kimpak, Bogus, Red Rosin and Celluclay, which is store bought paper pulp. It's really not clay at all.
Kimpak paper is one of my favorites. I found out about it from a website by a guy named David. Type "Kimpak paper mache" and you will find Davids site.
Red Rosin paper is very strong and I hear puppeteers use it.
Bogus paper is strong too and has a neat feel to it. I read about it in an old 1950's paper mache book I got at a used book store. Some of the old art/craft books are the best inspiration!
When I use pulp for paper mache I use Celluclay which really isn't clay at all.
It's just instant papermachethat only needswater added.It's more convienent & time saving than making the pulp.
Bonnie
Old 12-30-2003, 02:06 AM
Level 6 user

Thanks for the info Bonnie. Now I know who to tap when I get around to that mache project.

>> Do you have pics posted of your work or a website link?

I will save you the tidilwave of my normal answer to this question with a simple, no. I am shifting from writen art to physical. But will post some thing as soon as possible, as I know the importance of peers from my writing critique experiences.

You might also think of posting in the Lounge & Gallery\Gallery section to. The lightness of your work would be welcome I am sure. I am working on a medeaval chess set. Not exactly cheerful. Work such as yours reminds me that I need to lighten up, not a little, a lot! There is a ton of differant expression in there. And most anysection of the community has something to stimulate.

I'm so glad you joined.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:36 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Thanks for the info Bonnie. Now I know who to tap when I get around to that mache project.

>> Do you have pics posted of your work or a website link?

I will save you the tidilwave of my normal answer to this question with a simple, no. I am shifting from writen art to physical. But will post some thing as soon as possible, as I know the importance of peers from my writing critique experiences.

You might also think of posting in the Lounge & Gallery\Gallery section to. The lightness of your work would be welcome I am sure. I am working on a medeaval chess set. Not exactly cheerful. Work such as yours reminds me that I need to lighten up, not a little, a lot! There is a ton of differant expression in there. And most anysection of the community has something to stimulate.

I'm so glad you joined.
Stephen,
I am so glad I joined too. Thanks for telling me about the gallery/lounge. Being new to this forum, I hadn't seen it but just checked and found it.
I am working on a life size Lhasa and a couple big dogs and think I will wait til they are finished so I will post pics of them.

Paper mache seems the perfect medium for light and whimsical objects.
It can be practical too though. The Chihuahua in the chimney is actually a coin bank.
I don't make many bowls with paper mache but that seems to be the most popular thing people make with it.Besides the dogs I am working on I am also finishing a decorative bowl. It's not just any old bowl though. It's for a die hard Redskin fan even though they had a lousy season! It has the Redskins colors, burgandy and gold, but the handles are pigs heads.
Pigs are part of the Redskin stuff. Love them hogs and pigskin are all a part of Redskin hype!
It's a most unsual bowl!

Sergio Bustamante and Philip Cox are the most famous pape mache artists I have ever seen. If you type their names in Google you can get the links to their sites.
Bonnie
Old 12-31-2003, 03:54 PM
Level 6 user

Bonnie I posted a private message to you. In the upper right of your screen just below "Welcome, Kimpak" you will see if you have any messages in and the link to them.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:15 PM
Level 6 user

I did as you suggested and looked up both Sergio Bustamante and Philip Cox. These are the most excellent examples of mature art via meche that I have ever seen. Both confirm for me my feelings that polymer clay is best for me as a medium. I do have a pic I will post later. For examples of excellence in the medium I haven't accumulated any. I've been consentraiting on bringing my vision to fruition. I have remembered a ouple images o my process i captured while evalueating the Canon A60 digital camera. And I will post them in the next couple days.

I really appreciate your pointing me to those two artist. It is amazing how an artist inspiration can be communicated through such interesting materials.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Level 2 user

Quote:
I did as you suggested and looked up both Sergio Bustamante and Philip Cox. These are the most excellent examples of mature art via meche that I have ever seen. Both confirm for me my feelings that polymer clay is best for me as a medium. I do have a pic I will post later. For examples of excellence in the medium I haven't accumulated any. I've been consentraiting on bringing my vision to fruition. I have remembered a ouple images o my process i captured while evalueating the Canon A60 digital camera. And I will post them in the next couple days.

I really appreciate your pointing me to those two artist. It is amazing how an artist inspiration can be communicated through such interesting materials.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephen, Here is another link to an excellant PM artist:
http://www.muencharts.com/mache.html

Oh how I wish some of these PM artists would write a book and share their secrets.
I have a Canon G2 Powershot digital camera.
I like it cause I can attach a speed light. I hate those dinky little built in flashes on small cameras.
I sent you a private message and told you of my experience with polymer clay. Looking forward to seeing your work How are the chessmen coming along? Between laundry, computer breaks and other chores today I have done some work on a large Poodle I am making.
Bonnie
Old 01-01-2004, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimpak
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh how I wish some of these PM artists would write a book and share their secrets.
among others : Paper Mache Art (well, I am not sure of the title as I have only the french translation) by Juliet Bawden / Mitchell Beazley Publishers.
with many different technics including Philip Cox.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Level 6 user

Ladies I popped over to www.amazon.com and grabbed the exact title you were referring to;

The Art and Craft of Papier Mache
by Juliet Bawden, Mitchell Beazley Ltd

From Amazon a person can purchase a copy used starting at $9 plus S/H

Ann is there an English version link to your homepage? Unfortunatly I don't speak French.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:14 AM
Level 6 user

Bonnie I bookmarked the last noted artist.

I have some pressing purchase decisions to make over the next couple days. And soon after that I am going to clear a couple days to read as many of the threads in these forums as I can in a day. And then spend a day looking into the artist that post here like Anne and your self and the many others.

I am looking forward to getting some feedback on the few pictures on my new homepage mentioned in my signiture line. Even a stones thrown at me would be good for that will be of some use. For I would just pick them up, grind them up into my polymer clay and shape it into the next project.

I need all the material I can get. Six hands and 40 hour in a day would be great.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Ann is there an English version link to your homepage? Unfortunatly I don't speak French.
unfortunatly not yet. but my site has an easy navigation, have a try (images doesn't have to be translated)
Old 01-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Ladies I popped over to www.amazon.com and grabbed the exact title you were referring to;

The Art and Craft of Papier Mache
by Juliet Bawden, Mitchell Beazley Ltd

From Amazon a person can purchase a copy used starting at $9 plus S/H

~~~~~~~~~~~

JB's book is informative but her work doesn't wow me like Sergios, Philips and Kristens.
Bonnie
Old 01-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Bonnie I bookmarked the last noted artist.

I have some pressing purchase decisions to make over the next couple days. And soon after that I am going to clear a couple days to read as many of the threads in these forums as I can in a day. And then spend a day looking into the artist that post here like Anne and your self and the many others.

I am looking forward to getting some feedback on the few pictures on my new homepage mentioned in my signiture line. Even a stones thrown at me would be good for that will be of some use. For I would just pick them up, grind them up into my polymer clay and shape it into the next project.

I need all the material I can get. Six hands and 40 hour in a day would be great.
Stephen,
I checked your pics. They look great, but I would love to see close up pics of each one separately. Will you be doing this when you get your new camera?
What do you use for armatures?
Bonnie
PS I grew up in Spokane, WA. Visted Seattle many times.
Beautiful area of the US.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Level 6 user

Anne;
I aggree totally, sculpture translated to all languages even better than music. I will be taking a full look at your site along with some of the others in the next couple days. I want to dedicate a day to it so I am not hurried.

Bonnie;
As for armitures, the skull on the pedistal is a second generation with the express purpose of being used as an armiture. You see once I finished the skull (nimus teeth as yet) I then moved on to making molds of the skull also out of polymer. Then I was able to make a duplicate skulls in a matter of a few minutes hands on work. Then I mount the duplicate. I deside the subjects motivations, passions, and posture including eye direction and jaw positioning. I re-cook it with some fresh clay in the jaw pivot point. Paint some rough cornias and pupils on two eye dowels, insert them and turn into orintation. With the skull then mounted on a handleable pedistal I begin the process of adding the muscle and flesh over the skull with apropriate thicknesses. Once all the detailing is done I can easily make copies of the finished heads so only one skull is ever neccasary for the 200 editions of that chess peice.

This sculpting technique is very old. I'm not trying to gross you out, but since the 1980s forensic (law purposed) scientist have made great advances in identifying the remains of unidentified bodies, by using population averages of soft tissue thicknesses at various points on found skulls. And often clues like remnants of clothing help determine if the person was large or thin. By tapping into these techniques I am able to sculpt very preportionate human heads. Minature human figures are faster than life size but I have read from a few sources that they are more difficult. I do not have the time or mental stamina to take a bunch of college courses so I have ellected to use diverse disiplines. I am an admirer of that technique for the closure that it has brought to the families of victoms and the criminals it has helped to bring to justice. For anyone interest, that may read this now, or in the future, "Making Faces" is the best book published with layman in mind.

I will indeed have better images, close up, next month, and of more pieces, when I purchase the digital camera. As it is a person has to copy and paste these images into a paint program and zoom in before they can see any detail. I just wanted to post something so you all know I am doing something.

Bonnie I have news on Meetup. I will now post it in the Meetup thread in the Lounge section. While i am thinking about it I would like to hear anout the poodle you are doing.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Level 6 user

Anne (bxl),

I gave my self a treat tonight and toured your gallery. I have posted my commentary in a private message to you. You should be able to access it from the upper right of your screen, just under where it says Welcome, Anne (bxl), by clicking on Private messages.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Level 6 user

Bonnie Paper Mache Meetup is live. Check the meetup thread for details.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Anne (bxl),

I gave my self a treat tonight and toured your gallery. I have posted my commentary in a private message to you.
thank you for the commentary, stephen.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:27 AM
Level 6 user

My pleasure Anne.