Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Level 10 user

FDR Statue

This is unusual. In the link below, the picture of the statue is distorted, compressed. But when I transfer the image here, the distortion is gone.

Anyway, this is the first time I see a picture of FDR not hiding the fact that he has polio.

Park Unveils FDR Statue

PINE MOUNTAIN, Ga. (AP) -- Dignitaries unveiled a life-size statue of President Franklin D- Roosevelt today at Pine Mountain in
west Georgia. The ceremony was .... at nearby Warm Springs, where Roosevelt maintained his "Little White House."

Officials say the new statue shows him wearing leg braces, a consequence of being stricken with the dreaded disease polio in
1921 at the age of 39. ....

Commissioned by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and created by Atlanta sculptor Martin Dawe, the 12-hundred-pound bronze shows F.D.R. on his removable car seat gazing out over the valley, just as he did in the 1930s and 1940s. The sculpture is designed so visitors can sit beside the president. The project was funded by donations.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Sculptor

Re: FDR Statue

You're right about the image being wider in the newsaper account. I've seen this effect (wider or narrower images) on artists' websites before. It's probably some small programming error.

As far as Roosevelt and images, I'm pretty sure he was photographed in the wheelchair on many occasions, and I think the national moument on the Mall in D. C. shows him in a wheelchair. I didn't know about his personal driving, or the removable carseat.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Level 4 user

Smile Re: FDR Statue

The F.D.R. Memorial on the Mall in Washington, D.C. is one of the best sculptural memorials, in my opinion, ever created. Large, walk-through, even includes the bread line Segal sculptures I helped to cast at the Johnson Atelier. The scope and layout are magnificent.....and yes, it has a marvellous sculpture contained, which depicts Franklin in a wheelchair. The scope of this memorial is truly amazing, and well worth a visit. Next time you attend an impeachment ralley or war protest in D.C., definitely check it out! Views particularly well at midnight.

Regards,
frozenimage