Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Level 10 user

Re: How Much Disabling Injury Can a Sculptor Take

Quote:
take it like a man
Sorry, I'm straight.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Level 10 user

Ok, my apologies to everyone. I made everything up. Sorry. Gotta go. Just ignore everything I said and I'll go away. My mama's yellin at me again!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
When I was 17 I was pursued very heavily by the Air Force, to join. I didn't. Subsequently a CIA operative slipped me hallucinogens. This coupled with the severe stress of being laid off from the factory I was illegally working in to support myself, going to high school full time, losing my apartment and fearing homelessness, I cracked. I had my first manic episode.
Umm, that's called LIFE dude, and I'm sure we ALL have similar experiences, you are not exactly unique in that regard- You wanna talk "stress"? I LIVED my teen years in a ONE BEDROOM NYC apartment with an adoptive mother who was diagnosed paranoid schitzophrenic and tried to kill me when I was 12, who broke dishes, furniture and beat on my dad, took her medications- Darvon, Demerol and more, went to bed, woke up later and didn't remember any thing, then demanded to know who stole the dishes and furniture (by then removed and cleaned up) we couldnt have a telephone because she would call dad up at work all night to harass him, then they'd have fights when he came home from working his business- usually around 1 or 2 AM, around 2 or 3 AM the dishes, milk, food and books would hit the freaking walls and the arguments would go on.
Trying being a teen in that situation, I couldn't have friends over because "my room" was my parent's bedroom, I didn't date either.

"Stress"? by the time I was 22 I worked a full time job and FOUR part time jobs, I worked 7 days a week and every holiday. how about coming home from working graveyard shift and laying down to bed and then waking up because of water hitting your face from the ceiling, and then your entire place getting flooded out by a frozen/cracked high pressure fire sprinkler main riser that no one could shut off for hours because the valve to shut it off was replaced with a straight pipe?

How about AFTER the flood with everything you own (clothes, piano, books, photos, furniture, stereo, hundreds of boxed sets of LP's, all uninsured) water soaked in January weather and NO HEAT, while living on the top two floors- 4th and 5th of that building with 25 tons of sculptures, everything you own, 4 dogs and having the city building inspectors come nail a sign on the door while you are at work that they ordered an immediate emergency VACATE NOTICE and were sealing the building?

How about having to rush out and get/pass a driver's test to get your first driver's license as fast as you could to be able to drive your moving trucks? I DID IT, or to move out of there with NO ELECTRIC for the elevator? you think you could figure out how to get an electric freight elevator to run up and down 6 floors without ELECTRIC?

*I DID IT MR* and I sweat blood and tears but I made it happen with NO help from anybody.

You feared homelessness, while I *WAS* homeless living in a partially converted school bus with 5 dogs and a litter of puppies. That was after being evicted from a rented "pad" because I couldn't find a job in my new state and didnt have a car- just the bus to drive because I had just moved there on advice of a friend who said there were lots of jobs around. The "lots of jobs" were minimum wage, paid every other week and were part time in a city that cost more for me to drive to in gas than I was earning at one.

I rolled pennies and pocket change to buy DOG FOOD and went to a church group for a freaking food box.
It was freaking hot- over 100 degrees as it was July and I had NO A/C NO hot or running water, NO phone, NO credit cards, NO cash, NO job, NO one who could send help, and in a new place, on top of all that my dad was 3,000 miles away when a sheriff's deputy told me to call home, turned out dad was in the hospital getting an emergency triple bypass, around the same time grandma in F.orida who had been hit by a car near the grocery was in physical therapy with her broken leg when she died suddenly of a blood clot. The reason dad had heart pain that sent him to the hospital was he was at the morgue identifying a family member who died.

STILL think YOU had "stress"?

I'll wager a bet there's LOADS of colleagues here in this forum who went thru hell and back, or have physical disabilities and are still IN hell, but they get off their asses and done whine about how bad they got it compared to others, and make themselves a life.

I paid MY dues dude, and I, like most here who worked hard thru thick and thin deserve every bit of success we get today.

No matter how bad you think you have it, there's always someone else who has it WORSE.

Last edited by Landseer : 04-22-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Level 4 user

Oscar, I too have been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder (hint: manic, duh) on more than one occassion.
I know the ins and outs of it all. I think your preaching to the choir on this forum. I have zero sympathy for your plight as others have none for mine. Since you are obviously not going to talk about sculpture in a constructive way and only seek to tear down others to the level which you have debased yourself to, I implore you to please...just go away. Life sucks and all that...blah, blah, blah. You believe you are original and profound. Everyone here has heard it all before. So much so that you are considered either a nuisance or a joke that some find humor in. I am sure that some will disagree with my opinion of you, but I know your delusions of genius and grandeur all to well. Since you are capable of describing your situation in detail, I know your are also capable of contributing to this forum in the manner to which it was created. Unfortunately, you choose not to. So, no. I don't care about your petty little problems. Go find a mental health forum and screech at yourself all you want.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Sculptor

Oscar, post 24: "When I was 17 I was pursued very heavily by the Air Force, to join. I didn't. Subsequently a CIA operative slipped me hallucinogens. This coupled with the severe stress of being laid off from the factory I was illegally working in to support myself, going to high school full time, losing my apartment and fearing homelessness, I cracked. I had my first manic episode. I thought I was Christ."

If you think the CIA slipped you drugs because you didn't join the Air Force at 17, I think you may be incurably paranoid. I'm no expert on bipolar disorder, but with a long career at a university, I did see some cases and discussed the possibilities with campus psychologists and psychiatrists. It's common for this problem to appear first in the mid to late teens or twenties, as the brain undergoes rapid internal changes with maturation.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Level 10 user

Everyone is an expert on anything with 15 minutes on Google (sarcasm). Gotta love armchair shrinks (sarcasm).

I've edited this at least 12 times trying to give more explanation to what happened to my brother and I. Years ago I tried to present my research and built items to the public. It didn't work. I thought maybe I could battle through the personal side of things and then present that work here on this forum as sculpture. That aint gonna work either.

I guess I'll hang in there about 10 more months and check out the new administrations new SBIR's.

paranoi this (you know the gesture I'm showing)

Last edited by oscar : 04-24-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: To tell fritchie it was sarcasm-he didn't get it-see below
Old 04-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Sculptor

I look forward to further comment when you're ready. You're right about fascinating material being reported through serious science and medical sites, and made available in rough form through Google.

DNA analysis from worldwide samples shows specific intelligence-related proteins that seem to have spread very rapidly over the last 20,000 years or so, very fast by gene standards. At least some people think that's because they convey large selection advantage.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie View Post
DNA analysis from worldwide samples shows specific intelligence-related proteins that seem to have spread very rapidly over the last 20,000 years or so, very fast by gene standards. At least some people think that's because they convey large selection advantage.
When you consider that we share about 96% of the same DNA as animals, small changes can make big differences.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Level 10 user

How much disabling injury can a sculptor take ?

Sculptors can take on the most disabling injury and triumph over any and all challenges. There's not a single thing that we cannot overcome. Our will, our spirit is the most powerful force in the universe. Sometimes we find ourselves down and out and life sucks........but then we get handy and take control. We focus our energy, choose our battles and fight until our last breath. We accept our mortality and count ourselves among those that are doomed to die, we pace ourselves and maximise the little time that we are given........leaving something for those that follow to contemplate and embrase. We see what we can do ........and we do it ......with a fierce and charged determination that sets an example for all. We make things that remind us where we've been and where we hope to go. Whether we're wrong or right ...we make a statement......in materials that outlast us.......informing others about who we are. Life springs eternal and looks for insight.....so grateful for those who made the time, to take the time to capture the time to share with those beyond the present.

I could go on and on.............

Sculptors can take alot .....and then some. We're as tough as they get.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Sculptor

Re Oscar 31: Many thanks for trying to do this. I've clearly no way of understanding what you were trying to do, but thanks anyway.

On SBIR, I had to Google that. It's NASA's relatively new "Small Business Innovation Research" program. I wish you well with that or any other approach you take, and as for trees blowing in the wind, that happens often. Take care and hope to hear more soon.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Level 10 user

I guess Google can't make everyone an expert after all. Over 15 govt. agencies award SBIR's including all branches of the military, agriculture, transportation, etc. The program has been around a long time. Basically, these programs are seeking innovators to solve specific problems. The problem sets change periodically and new adminisrations usually mandate a set of new problems. It's a pretty neat program. They basically will assist in building your company and will provide essentials such as administration, etc.

The lure of an SBIR for the small person is of course the support and financial backing but also, if one applies in direct response to the given problem, they will retain all patent rights. Open submissions forfeit patent rights.

I was in application process when President Bush came in and requested a different set of SBIR's. 8 years later, I find myself being a kid on a message forum. I ask God for the strength to endure these times and to allow me to introduce to the world, that which He has given me. 3 candidates. Which one will produce the SBIR's to propell this country and the world, into the next wonderful frame of existence!?!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Sculptor

So why didn't you submit a new application under the Bush set of needs? Didn't anything match what you wanted to do? All federal money is politically driven in one way or another, especially money to solve specific problems. NASA has been pretty free of that sort of short-term mechanism until the last year or two. Probably that's why it came up early in the Google search. I only looked for the basics.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:07 AM
Level 10 user

Fritchie, why do you bother answering these posts? A leopard can't change his spots. I feel as though so many people are trying to cuddle this guy who can't help saying things like " I guess google dosen't make everybody an expert". He dosen't seem to notice that people are trying to accept him and that just by deleting that one sentence (omitting it) that the whole post would sound great without the negative beginning. I tried to ignore this thread and every other one he intrudes on (even though this is histhread) but it might be better to just stay away from the forum. His negativity gets under my skin and others as well as is evident from the responses . I guess he never heard " If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything." Have a nice day.

www.tiredironsculptures.com
Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 AM
Level 10 user

i guess ech of us, in our own way, is immensely saddened that everyone else is not as fabulous as we, personally, are.
I just want you to know I think you ARE all fabulous, contribute immensely, make me think, grind me into a better person, keep me coming back with your own unique contributions. How boring it would be if everyone were the same. Be your own exotic bloom.
Peace,
G
(no, I don't do drugs)
Old 04-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Level 10 user

Best military strategy there is, take and hold the middle.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Sculptor

Landseer, post 42. I'm not actually going to red-flag you over this, but please watch your language. Mods have to be consistent and I've done both on other similar occasions.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie View Post
Landseer, post 42. I'm not actually going to red-flag you over this, but please watch your language. Mods have to be consistent and I've done both on other similar occasions.
Saved you the trouble, we are going WAY off topic anyway.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Level 10 user

If you are going to go off topic into politics Oscar, then start a new thread, this one was about disabling injuries not the Iraq war.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Level 10 user

Disabling injuries....sculptors.... Iraq....war....

Add em up people! Lets give the disabled vets some more opportunity... Train a Vet to sculpt!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Lets give the disabled vets some more opportunity... Train a Vet to sculpt!
In fact I was doing this at the VA hospital polytrauma unit in Minneapolis. As part of recreational therapy, I taught some wounded vets to sculpt bas-relief while they were recovering. Fortunately the numbers of patients able to do this dropped so low that my service was no longer needed.

Oscar, there is probably no better way to get over the depression one is experiencing than to volunteer to help others who are in even more difficult circumstances. Perhaps you could volunteer to teach sculpting at a local VA hospital, or to children with terminal or serious conditions. Giving, and becoming responsible for being a bright moment during someone else's difficulty can show new value and meaning to your life.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Fortunately the numbers of patients able to do this dropped so low that my service was no longer needed.
I trust you mean that there were fewer patients in general, not that there weren't capable patients???
XXX
The Editor's daughter
Old 04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Level 10 user

Good eyes, editor, but in fact my language was precise, abbreviating the circumstance. There were indeed much fewer patients in general, but also at any given time only a few of the patients there could actually physically get out of their beds to participate in the activity, or otherwise were in the recovery stage appropriate for this type of therapy. So eventually the number of patients was sufficient, but they were not the type who could participate.

I of course was not referring to the capabilities of those who came to learn or sculpt. For many it was a welcome thing to focus with intensity of something fun, difficult, and unfamiliar in art rather than the stress of their physical condition. And also the rekindling of the idea that one can still create despite the loss of former wholeness.

It was an unusual task because the length of stay varied between patients from a week to a couple of months. Some were able to take a project to completion, showing amazing progress and fortitude, others were only there long enough for an intial lesson or two.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Level 10 user

A friend of mine went to college with a lot of Viet Nam vets. They were in the same dorm and were in wheelchairs. That's more of what I had in mind. Those who have been out of the hospital for some time. I also think it would be excellent therapy for the shell shock, or post tramatic stress syndrome.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Level 10 user

I have not been here very often because I hate the controversy that always pops up. This is the first thread I opened and sure enough, there it is. Anyway if I skip certain posts, this is a very good thread. I'm thinking that EQ started this conversation. Where is he anyway?

I have not seen any work from you Oscar. Did I miss it? Why aren't you putting your energy into art? If you have so much in you, we'd like to see it. Passion can be a good thing or it can eat you up from inside. Everyone here would rally beside you if you would just give life to your dreams instead of maintaining the nightmare you live in. We can't help you except in your art. Do it! Scout
Old 04-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I'm thinking that EQ started this conversation. Where is he anyway?

I have not seen any work from you Oscar. Did I miss it?
He left the forum, read the thread "Bye" he is still on our art forum however.
You did not miss any work, he is angry with us and refuses to show anything, we suspect there is nothing to show as the reason.

Had a guy on another forum I was on who claimed he built this "Grand Armoir" using a few hand tools and a Sears radial arm saw to build it all by himself in his garage in a couple of weekends, but some of us were doubtful and then one day someone recognised the picture he posted of "his" armoir as having been a photo of a commercially made piece of furniture.