Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Level 8 user

can art heal?

Do you think art can heal?

Last edited by mark pilato : 07-01-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Art for healing, what do you think?

Hi Mark,

I read the link that you had posted yesterday about you helping the disabled boy who wanted to hurt himself and others and had to wear a head band to protect his head. It was very moving to see how he went from the mixed up boy to that cute smile as he made the smiley face of clay. He was so proud of himself and started to believe he was special and could make people smile. This could transform his life in a big way that maybe no other therapy could do. Very touching and must have been totally fulfilling for you to help.

Art is a healing to myself. It gives me so much. Even though my parents made me feel worthwhile as a child and were wonderful. My art gives me so much back in the way of self-esteem. This is something that I don't really reveal but since we're bearing our souls here and being honest, I'll say it. And when you can get to feeling valued because of art that can heal many a problem with it.

Art may not cure an emotional or mental problem such as the above mentioned example of the boy. But it can go along way to giving relief in the moment from the stresses of life be it a disability or whatever. Then after the art session is done, the joy of anticipating the art to be finished and thinking about it and "hoping" for it to turn out the best. This positive hope and emotion is all so good and replaces in the mind the negative.

I've helped many children that come to my studio to work from the clay to completion of the fired piece. They are so thrilled to make something of their own. So very proud. To help disabled children would be so fulfilling, but I've not done that as yet.

Art heals us all in so many ways....

~Tamara
Old 07-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Level 8 user

So true, I was working with a guy who was 42 years old with challenging mental disabilities. He was never able to use his hands always clasping them on his lap. With only two sessions he was sculpting and moving the clay on his own. It was not a miracle or anything special on my end. All I did was go to his world and talk to him in his language find were he lived inside and when i saw his fingers move I encouraged him and made him aware of how beautiful his hands were, and soon the little movements became bigger movements and do you know what he made? a sandwich made off clay and before I knew what he was doing he plopped it into his mouth. Thank god I was using a non toxic clay for I think it may have been the best sandwich of his life. We smiled cracked up and I cried a little. When I am brought to this state of mind i am always reminded that we all live in the same place and all it take is opening our minds to new possibility and anything is possible. I have also work with people who are terminally ill who have seeing disabilities and people who are dealing with broken hearts. All of them felt healing. And In my latest sculpture Ascent I have gotten hundreds of e-mails from families of 9/11 saying that the sculpture has helped them with there loss. I have made it my life's work to help in any way I can. My next work which is going to the Pentagon and the UN asks is peace possible? I hope to find the answer for myself and in doing so hopefully it will help others as well. I hope that this does not seem preachy I just wanted to share with like minded people who also love the world of art and it's mysteries.
all the best,
Mark
/Users/markpilato/Desktop/st pauls news/ascent study/untitled folder/email.jpg

Last edited by mark pilato : 07-01-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Level 8 user

here is the link to the story about my friend Jewel.
http://www.catskillregionguide.com/a...?id=706&page=1
If any one is interested I was thinking of having a week long retreat for people with disabilities so that they can explore the world of art. here is also a link to letters of reference.
http://www.pilatostudios.com/pages/markReferences.html
thanks,
Mark

Last edited by mark pilato : 07-02-2006 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Level 2 user

Thumbs up Re: Art for healing, what do you think?

Hello,
Art heals for me personally
I fell ill with 2 extremely serious and debilitating illness, namely: ME-CFIDS, Addison Disease, at the prime of my life. Art has been my 'therapy' and 'food for the soul' ever since.

[i] I solute you both for inspiring others, who other wise lost all hope, thru your art.

Jax
Old 07-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Level 8 user

Hi Jax, Have you ever thought about writing about your exsperance so that you may share with others who may find inspiration in your words?
I find that when I write it helps me slow down and look at my art in a new way. I also feel that someone like you could help so many.
All the best,
Mark

Last edited by mark pilato : 07-03-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Level 2 user

Awwwww...... Thank you so much, Mark, for encouraging me to write. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at writing.

However, thru couple of online support groups, I'm able to help some friends find reasons to 'live', instead of just 'exist' with our illness.

By the way, do you have a web site where I could view your work???

Happy Day!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Level 8 user

pilatostudios.com, enjoy and tell me what you think?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Level 2 user

Absolutely in awe of all the spirited sculptures you've done, Mark...the Accent is by far my most favorite, I guess it is because I did lose family member in the twin towers on 9/11. Not only I found Accent to be specially haunting to me, but so much hope and comfort they say to me at the same time.

Thank you for sharing your work with the world.

Thank you specially for working with the disabled, and open the door to living for them.

Jax

p.s. Catskill is such a pretty place to live in.