Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Level 10 user

Re: self-taught

Great post Aaron. I am in favor of formal education but the greatest gains available to artists will occur in the territory they have paved for themselves. There ain't no Obie Wan out there to Force you up. Information, lessons, data, even skill is out there to be had by anyone who seeks it, what one seeks and what one does with it all is what makes him unique. Whether you learn it someone elses way and then re-learn it your way or just figure it out for yourself from the beginning - same end result, self taught. Most of the time when I want to learn something new I just go out and buy the machine or supplies and get busy (funny how many extra parts they always put in the box with all those machines). Confidence and vigor cannot be taught. Creativity is that thing that results when problems are conceived and nurtured for the sole purpose of experiencing the suprise of their solution.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Level 10 user

Ok,
here is a question, I dont think it has been raised in the above posts-

What about people who are trained in architecture, applied design, painting etc......

If they transfer their learning, skills, awareness of aesthetics etc to the 'discipline' of sculpture, does that mean they are self taught sculptors?

I am aware of a few famous architects who sometimes produce sculptures.

I was trained to BA hons in interior design (interior architecture), we werent really taught that much apart from an occaisional crit. We were given a book list with some great books on, I think i was about the only one who read more than 3 on the list, I should have been out partying more.

What was good though was doing the first year course with units from all disciplines and 3 years concentrating on chosen subject and the resources available etc.

Just wondering.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Level 10 user

I believe that I fit your category. My formal education was in architecture, and that was the field in which I was earning a living until my first independant project, a law office design, led to a commission to create a life-size bronze statue and fountain of Justice. I had no training in sculpture nor had I even taken a drawing, painting, or sculpture class in college.

After that life-changing project, the most enjoyable work I had ever done, I decided to get some training as an artist to help me become the best I could be, which led me to an Atelier teaching drawing and painting, but again, not sculpture. This was great training, but technically you could say that I am self-taught in sculpture. All that I have learned in other disciplines has certainly been a great help in understanding and working with 3-dimensional form.

GlennT
http://www.glennterryart.com
Old 03-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Level 10 user

That is interesting,

I think training architecture and applied design gives a good grounding in balancing construction, aesthetics etc.

Thomas Heatherwick for example, has an MA in furniture design I think, not sculpture-
http://www.heatherwick.com/index.php

His studio seems to cross the disciplines.