Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Level 10 user

First Aid Kit Survey

Hi All,

I recently scored this first aid box from federal surplus for my shop:

Since it is nice and roomy I thought I see what first aid materials others recommend. Although I will be sure to include the usual stuff, I am interested in hearing about the special supplies that you all couldn't live without - including home remedies, favorite brand name products you swear by, or other non-traditional suggestions.

Thanks!

Cheesepaws
Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Level 10 user

Re: First Aid Kit Survey

Melaleuca oil, and Melaleuca triple antibiotic ointment. The oil, if put on minor burns right away, can avoid the whole blister situation and most of the pain.
The oil also relieves the itch of mosquitoe bites, and has many other uses.

Homeopathic arnica tablets and arnica gel. Great for bruises and sore muscles.
Stimulates blood flow to the effected areas.

A really sharp-pointed pair of tweezers, sharp enough to create incisions when needed.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:50 PM
ISC Member

It all depends on how far away you are from serious help. My first aid kit has band aids (Lets me keep on working without getting blood all over my work), neosporin (Makes scrapes heal faster, keeps infections away). Tylenol (Rarely used), tweezers and a few 4x4 gauze bandages.

If you are far from help (10+ minutes) then you should consider more serious items, such as cravat bandages (can be used to immobilize body parts (With the help of other items, can be used as tourniquets, to hold other bandages in place), thicker bandages, sticky tape, etc.

If you do not have access to cold stuff, then you should have instant ice packs in case you chop off a piece of your body. If you do that, you want to cool it down so it can be reattached before it spoils.

You can go on and on, depending on how much you want to do.

My 1st aid kit is now very simple. If I get in serious trouble I'll drive to the hospital, and if it is worse I'll get driven. I live near hospitals, so I am not worried about response times.

Ari.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Level 10 user

Lots and lots of white sports tape. Like the kind you would wrap a hockey stick or a baseball bat. I've got it hanging on nails all over the place, ready. If the bleeding cant be contained by enough of this, then you gotta go get sewn together. Its a quick fix...just spiral it tightly over the open wound and get back to work. Later, without the exiting blood, said wound can be better assessed and treated. And if you eat your meat, you'll heal amazingly fast. No worries.

Cheese, I'm surprised the college didnt already have excesses of first aid stuff all over the place...driven by fears of litigation.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Level 10 user

I'm told people who are allergic to penicillin should not use neosporin or topical Benadryl, since they can have an allergic reaction to those as well. I'll vouch for the Benadryl reaction.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:58 PM
ISC Member

Cheese,

Agree with Evald on lots of tape and bandaids. Also might want to think about a product called Liquid Skin. Had a burn that over a good portion of the back of my hand. Could not work with the regular physcians tape. Liquid Skin over the back of the hand gave me back the flexibility needed to hammer rock.

Also think about some aloe to help burns.

Carl
Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Level 10 user

how about super glue for cuts that aren't too deep?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Level 10 user

I used to sew up cuts with needle and silk thread.
kicks the endorphins big time.
especially when alcohol is liberally poured over the cut

nowadays I use crazy glue
it seals up damned near anything and does it fast
need to align the parts carefully and be careful not to glue the fingers of your free hand to the injury.

then some water of life and a toast to us and those like us
damned few left
idiots all
Old 01-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks everyone - there are some great suggestions here. Keep 'em coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Cheese, I'm surprised the college didnt already have excesses of first aid stuff all over the place...driven by fears of litigation.
To be honest, the school has been pretty hands off and I only direct their attention to the "problem areas" if I can leverage it for stuff that will help the studio (better ventilation, solvent storage, student friendly tools, etc.). Just like colleges everywhere, we fly under the administration's radar on all things - health and safety, classroom upgrades, tenure lines and general departmental funding. They are waaaay too busy worrying about impressing future science majors to really care much about the arts.

Last edited by cheesepaws : 01-18-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:31 AM

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but an eye irrigation kit is really useful for a studio environment.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseq View Post
I don't think anyone mentioned it, but an eye irrigation kit is really useful for a studio environment.
Every school I've haunted has had the eye wash stations quite abundant and enforced.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:07 AM
Level 3 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseq View Post
Yes, there is nothing worse then a chunk of a bolder in one's eye. It has happened to me, oh, 15 times or more now. Once it sratched my eye so badly it took a week to return to normal.

If you do not have a kit, you can use a thin rimmed glass and hold it firmly under your eye socket and title you head back allowing the water to fill the eye.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 AM
ISC Member

Here's photo of my standard first aid kit in the shop. Have yet to have an emergency that cannot be handled with it. The filthy T-shirt used to stop major bleeding was being worn at the time of this picture. The 21 year old scotch is never used as a topical antiseptic but gives you the courage to use the lawn sprinklers as an eye wash station.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first aid kit.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	10026  
Old 01-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Level 9 user

Thee absolute most super find was....Pyrocane
No crap!
It came in a 4" high by ~3/4 inch wide aerosal spray container.
Fine stuff!
Spray it on a burn...wa la ...no pain...at all...Found it at a welding supply store 15 years ago and haven't seen it since... probably pure cocaine... I savor every little spray of my precious bottle of Pryrocane...no burn pain at all...period!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
Thee absolute most super find was....Pyrocane
No crap!
It came in a 4" high by ~3/4 inch wide aerosal spray container.
Fine stuff!
Spray it on a burn...wa la ...no pain...at all...Found it at a welding supply store 15 years ago and haven't seen it since... probably pure cocaine... I savor every little spray of my precious bottle of Pryrocane...no burn pain at all...period!

Do you think this is it?:

http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...&WT.svl=401010

If so, I'll order a bit.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Level 9 user

Hey, looks like ya found it! If that's the same stuff, man, that stuff is great! Numbs the pain of a burn almost immediatly. Try it let me know ...my bottle is almost out!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB View Post
Here's photo of my standard first aid kit in the shop. Have yet to have an emergency that cannot be handled with it. The filthy T-shirt used to stop major bleeding was being worn at the time of this picture. The 21 year old scotch is never used as a topical antiseptic but gives you the courage to use the lawn sprinklers as an eye wash station.
Oh yeah, the Balvenie...hell, toss out the duct tape and everything else...ALL I need is THAT
Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 AM
ISC Member

Hi,
Duct tape!
a bottle of Jack!
Anger!
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Hi,
Duct tape!
a bottle of Jack!
Anger!
Have a great day,
Jeff
Wow, what a coincidence - those are the exact supplies I keep in my "kidnapping and ransom" kit (next to the jumpers in the trunk of my car).

EDIT: Now some might say that these things that Ironman listed are actually very similar to what EJB showed us in post #13 - but note the box of matches - clearly EJB's supplies are more typical of the slightly less popular "Kidnapping, Ransom and Arson" kit.