Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Level 9 user

Aarrgghh !! Anyone else?

Anyone else got this crap? Hard enough to make ends meet as a sculptor, I gotta lose 25-30% of my time to ass kickin depression. 3rd day...can't do nuthin but sit here behind my desk doin nuthin. Man this sucks. They call bi-polar the genius disease. WTF I can't even think. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Aarrgghh !! Anyone else?

Thought this was about pirates. Guess not. Sorry for your troubles. If being a pirate helps, go for it.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Level 9 user

Yaaarrrgh me mighty timbers.
ay pint 'll grab ye yon eeththrow
mine good eye say yee sissied
mine wooden leg find ye arse
take yer pity with yer wet pants
and get offen me boat
Old 12-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Level 10 user

not without a fight ya lily-livered wretch!
Look over there!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
ISC Member

Avast yer belly achin' matey and have some pig!
A little pillaging might do ya some good as well.
ARRGH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARRRH,Pig!.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	9709  
Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Level 10 user

I've heard about folks who are allergic to beer! I'll take a genius disease over THAT anyday.

O, so dont think, you can get plenty of good things done without thinking. Let the big dummy take-over for awhile and when the thoughts start creeping back in they'll have a big surprise waiting.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Level 9 user

no energy
ship has one 12vbat
off to salvage yard
thanks guys
Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Level 10 user

COFFEECOFFEECOFFEE
Wished I could help out outsider..but I aint bi-polar, been accused of it a few times, but I aint
Try this…a steady non stop infusion of high octane cowboy coffee will keep you jigged up so bad you’ll wanna set at the desk just to calm down the shakes…of course there’s the insomnia and occasional bloody urine..but you’ll gitttttrrrrrrrrrtrdone
Old 12-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Level 9 user

I can sympathise Outsider. I am up and down like a yoyo.

Concious of the fact that I am a natural cynic and have at times been totally unsure of the direction of my life, I am for the first time beginning to run a course towards a self directed future. I have set sail for the land of happiness and contentment (and buried treasure). I am not there yet, by any means, but I have decided that I do not want to be miserable and without real purpose.

I started by unlocking my mind to my real potential to enable me to make a huge adjustment in my life to move towards the better me.

Second step was to start with the end in mind - and decide what it is I wanted in life, to focus on it and believe that I am that person.

There are a number of mechanisms that I now use to visualise and focus. Some work better than others. Some have served a purpose and I have moved on.

Don't get me wrong I still have lows but I recognise them sooner and can (I think) get through them quicker and less painfully.

remember 'X' marks the spot
Old 12-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Level 10 user

If attaining a less depression-inducing life is not an immediate option, try stimulating your metabolism.

Short term: drugs - I find an ephedrine pill in conjunction with caffiene, works wonders, at least for a few hours, which is enough to get a little something done.

Long term: exercise - The only times in my life I got horrible, crushing depressive episodes was when I was completely out of shape and sedentary. Regular, high intensity exercise seems to prevent the really bad stuff, leaving only the moderate to mild stuff to deal with. Unfortunately, it took several months of regular exercise to pull out of the last slothful low period.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Level 7 user

Volunteering for a soup kitchen, a shelter, habitat for humanity, etc., should take your mind off your belly button.

Cooking for friends, or going out with them to hike or mountain bike in our wonderful parks is also a great way to feel at the top of one's form and benevolent towards oneself and others.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Level 10 user

O, when you've been going at it real hard for a long time there's nothing wrong with just taking a little Alpha-time (time for you alone) and doing a whole lot of nothing, maybe just clean the place up a little each day and hit the park and feed the geese. They love rice puffs and they're only a couple bucks for a big bag of the plain kind. Just let the cobwebs clear themselves and take it easy for a bit and get back to it when you're good and ready.

Taking breaks now and then is good for you and very rejuvinating.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Level 10 user

Aarrgghh !!! Depression sucks !!!

Nothing to do but ride it out. It'll pass all by it's self.

At least you have a studio to quarantine yourself to, That's what I do. No sense in infecting others with dark thoughts. When I get into a funk, I just try to keep my mouth shut, so I don't screw myself by saying something I'll regret latter on. Not an easy thing to do.

The best medicine is laughter. Finding something funny, as hard as it may be, helps the body to rid it's self of stress hormones. YouTube sometimes works for me, I'll watch a few Mad TV skits and feel slightly less miserable.

Do what you have to do, try to get some ducks in a row, next thing you know, you'll be back in manic mode, full of energy and good to go. Setting things up so that you can make the most of the good times is the best reason to be depressed. Or vice-versa.

Eventually you'll just snap out of it.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Level 10 user

Cycle a lot - strips the body of its tensions and the endorphin release settles the mind. (I'm not bi-polar so I can offer useless advice like this...)
Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
I've heard about folks who are allergic to beer! I'll take a genius disease over THAT anyday.

O, so dont think, you can get plenty of good things done without thinking. Let the big dummy take-over for awhile and when the thoughts start creeping back in they'll have a big surprise waiting.
Beer is the fuel that creates ELBOW GREASE.
I can get more finish sanding done on beer than I could on steroids.
Beer is a sanding staple in my shop, though I do keep the beer bottle bin regularly emptied in the dumpster for PR purposes.

Mark
Old 12-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
Anyone else got this crap? Hard enough to make ends meet as a sculptor, I gotta lose 25-30% of my time to ass kickin depression. 3rd day...can't do nuthin but sit here behind my desk doin nuthin. Man this sucks. They call bi-polar the genius disease. WTF I can't even think. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well. All I can say is that I have changed to smaller sculptures, themed sculptures, incorporating different stone types in smaller pieces in an effort to promote more sales with less $ return. There's a term I've adopted recently. "You have to re-invent yourself".
Whether that is a change of style, size, medium, market, venue, whatever.
It's a time for change and reduction in overhead and perhaps a lower scale output to produce more work on a lower, (less return on investment scale) but more quantitative output.
That concept has worked for me in that I get more "product" out there for a lower price. I use less material therefore stretching my raw inventory into more finished work, hopefully encouraging sales by means of providing lower priced works, with less construction/ shop time to produce these works.
So far, so/so good.

mark

Last edited by desertrock : 12-12-2008 at 10:58 PM.