Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Level 3 user

Who, How, Where and Why?

1. How many of you make a full-time living doing what you love, making art? If you don't mind, do you jst get by, or do well? I know this is subjective.

2. If so, how do you do it? Is the economy having a impact on you? If so, how much?

3. Do you promote your own work or have others do it for you?

I've been creating things totally on my own for years. Mostly in wood, but recently acquired a huge order of stone to work with. I've never sold any of my work, just given it away to family, friends, kept many of the pieces etc. I've been told I'm good, unique, creative by many collectors, some very picky and seasoned. So, I'm giving some thought to going at this hobby of mine to perhaps make a few $. However, everything I read is about how tough it is for artists to make $. Most articles indicate most full-time stone carvers only make $15,000-$20,000K a year and that is if they are a decent carver. To survive I would need to make at least $28,000 a year, otherwise there is just no way.

My plan would be to create a few large pieces during the year in the $1200-$2000 range and hundreds of smaller stone pieces. My past experience is mostly in carving Pacific Northwest type art, like bears, eagles, human figures related to different cultures and so on. I also like to just create very strange things, if you will. No reason to it, just whatever the stone yields and often times it is extremely bizarre.

So what do you all think? When people see my work, they like it. I'm far from perfect, but working on it. My creativity, and unique work often makes up for my lack of perfection, that I hope in time will come.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Level 5 user

Re: Who, How, Where and Why?

I have opened my own studio in the centre of Valletta, the capital city of Malta three years ago. At my studio I sell my own art, However, I also sell other artist's work, art books, carving ools and I also inport some wood carvings from Italy. In the end of the year i manage to earn about 10000euro, so I have to do another job to steady my families income. I also hold wood carving lessons for beginers.
Unfortunately, during a recession art is one of he first areas to suffer because it is not a necessity.

http://www.bottegin.com