Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Level 10 user

sculpture.net show?

Idea active users could be in a big show, sell some art, and get publicity for sculpture.net! somebody call a gallery quick! thoughts?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Level 10 user

Re: sculpture.net show?

lets have it in colorado too so I wont have to go very far
Old 07-01-2007, 07:43 AM
ISC Member

Actually, I like the idea if it can be organized. I think the biggest things to overcome would be geography and cost.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Level 10 user

ISC has it's annual conference/exhibition which I suppose, is for paid up ISC members only. So I think you mean a show for sculptors from this online forum?
Old 07-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Level 10 user

As Mickey Rooney said, " Hey gang, let's put on a show!"
Old 07-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljamesx1
lets have it in colorado too so I wont have to go very far
I'm down with that.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Level 10 user

Cooljames, yer young yet, you better learn to like going far, and going there with an overloaded complaining vehicle. Then after you've sweated and bled setting up the work you get to stand next to the cheese and baby carrots guzzling awful wine. Maybe someone like yourself will come stand next to you and inquire about which thing is yours as he picks at a bandaged finger and guzzles. You will point out into the room and say "the big one" and he will nod and ask you about the price of a sheet of 1/4 inch diamondplate. You will then extend the same courtesy to him but your inquiry is shelved as he runs off to rescue his teetering contribution. "Shoud have made it heavier" you think, as you continue to wash down those little carrots.
Then a month later on your wayback home with a smoking truck scraping the lines off the highway with the trailer-hitch, you ask yourself "was it all worth it?". The rear-view mirror is reflecting the answer to that by detailing a section of the art-load. You smile wide as the truck gasps and chokes reminding you again that nothing is too good for your babies.
Aint that how it goes guys...right guys...am I right? Aw, hell.

So lets do it at Merlions place.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
Cooljames, yer young yet, you better learn to like going far, and going there with an overloaded complaining vehicle. Then after you've sweated and bled setting up the work you get to stand next to the cheese and baby carrots guzzling awful wine. Maybe someone like yourself will come stand next to you and inquire about which thing is yours as he picks at a bandaged finger and guzzles. You will point out into the room and say "the big one" and he will nod and ask you about the price of a sheet of 1/4 inch diamondplate. You will then extend the same courtesy to him but your inquiry is shelved as he runs off to rescue his teetering contribution. "Shoud have made it heavier" you think, as you continue to wash down those little carrots.
Then a month later on your wayback home with a smoking truck scraping the lines off the highway with the trailer-hitch, you ask yourself "was it all worth it?". The rear-view mirror is reflecting the answer to that by detailing a section of the art-load. You smile wide as the truck gasps and chokes reminding you again that nothing is too good for your babies.
Aint that how it goes guys...right guys...am I right? Aw, hell.

So I am reading this thinking "What the hell am I getting myself into....maybe I should just stick to graphic design or follow advice of the 15 galleries that keep telling me to paint more because painting outsells sculpture 10-1 and you are great at both" but I know I can only serve one mistress and my love for sculpture is that. So dispite the bad food, bad wine, and bad road trips...I will forge on and travel this road where ever it leads. As you said...nothing is to good for my babies.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
Oh! Did I see my name mentioned? Fine. All are welcome. We are very used to having all sorts of visitors - from backpack to 5-stars.

Last edited by Merlion : 07-05-2007 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:53 AM
Level 10 user

[quote=Randa350] I know I can only serve one mistress and my love for sculpture is that.[quote]

many many many many artists do both. so I don't think theres any need to choose, I paint quite a bit myself and I feel that each has it's purpose. sometimes theres ideas that can't work on paper and some that cant work in clay. I think you should paint if you feel like painting and sculpt if you feel like that and f*** the galleries.

anyways to evaldart, Im ready for some shitty road trips. I guess I had better be because just yesterday I delared as an art major at colorado state in ft collins. wow I can't wait for school to start (never thought I'd say that)
anyways I see two votes for colorado and two for merlions house.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 AM

An online show would be interesting - how select?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Level 10 user

An online show of our sculptures?

Perhaps put the pictures with appropriate labels all under a certain series in Frickr. Will this idea work?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:43 AM
ISC Professional Member

I am in for Merlions house
Blake
Old 07-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Level 10 user

Thumbs up Re: sculpture.net show?

Flickr doesn't like postings of art, they often make art pics unviewable to the public, I wouldn't go that route. What about finding some universities who are looking for a show and approach them, often there is an honorarium that goes with it and they handle the publicity??? Or what about the numerous non-profit galleries and art centers across the country? If we want this to happen who is going to head it up?, in my expreience if too many people try to head something up it doesn't end up working very well. I would like to participate and serve as a consultant but I am way too busy to take this on and head it up.
great idea,
Matt
Old 07-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Level 10 user

I am down for an online thing. how about this; we could make a web page seperate from this one just to show the work of active members to the public. maybe we could have a pannel of judges composed of the users with the most posts and they could decide whos and what art will be shown on the website. maybe we could get a link to the website posted on the sculpture.net homepage. ?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:10 AM

And a rolling exhibition, with items changing every 4 weeks, say? Alternatively, offer themed exhibitions (this option will offer a rationale for selection, and reduce the chaos of displaying everything offered). OR, to combine the above, a show with sections, changing monthly?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Level 9 user

never had any trouble with Flickr showing art. they can obscure images if the owner of the image says it might not be as safe as kittens, but a viewer can view them anyway after a click to confirm they really want to.

It'd mean anybody wanting to post a picture to the Group would have to join up to Flickr, but its free. all you need is a Yahoo address which is also free.

i think 'freeness' is a major attraction in something like this.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Level 10 user

Making use of Flickr as a site for a virtual show of forum members's works seems a good idea. There must be some system to make it easy to view. It also should not be haphazad when new pictures are added.

I only know Flickr as a viewer, not as a user member who posts into it. Who is familiar with it?

I suppose there must be an owner, a responsible person with a sustained interest. Is the purpose just to show?

Any comments?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:51 AM
Level 10 user

Flickr........and photobucket.......and a few other sites like them........feel like what we artist have been wishing for since the first marks were made in the dirt. I found the process of signing up and posting images easy and direct. Like learning to ride a bike. Posting images in a thread on this forum involves more of a learning curve. All we have to do is share a user name and password. I don't know if I can set up multipal accounts from the same IP address......perhaps someone will have to forfeit a personnel account for the good of the whole. I don't know. Photobucket.com lets you post videos which can be taken with just about any digital camera. A show of walk around videos with some nice detailed still images seems like an obvious and easy first step towards a more costly show. Perhaps we all post a bunch of images........cast votes and curate a sculptor's choice show which could be just a seperate folder or an actuall show in an actuall place. How can we stop it from happening ?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:28 PM
ISC Member

It's the wet blanket here again

I do not recommend using Flickr. They (and parent company Yahoo) has very odd policies and don't always inform the artist before implementing them:

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/07/11...he_flickr.html