Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2006, 04:07 AM
Level 10 user

New Statue in Seoul

I saw this yesterday in downtown Seoul.
It doesnít look red and blue in person, it looks rather pink and purple in the broad daylight from across the street.

Despite being a contemporary artist, I didnít realize it was art until I saw this article, but instead thought it was a candy-like temporary decoration in celebration of a festival or perhaps the entrance to an amusement park or an odd Christmas decoration that's gone up a bit too soon.
It's quite the oddity.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nati...7365811990.htm

Last edited by MountainSong : 09-30-2006 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:07 AM
Level 10 user

Re: New Statue in Seoul

I agree it looks more like a over-sized Christmas decoration. Would it be an icon that attracts tourist to admire and take photo?

Anyway, something like this would probably be expected if you engage an artist who, as mentioned in the news article, is a founder of of the pop art movement. Apparently it is the Seoul Museum of Art who recommended him.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:22 AM
Level 10 user

Yes Merlion, Pop Art can be rather interesting and some of this artistsí work is quite engaging and amusing really.

But I wonder if anyone will admire it as art and take photos of it? Perhaps instead it will attract tourists because of its oddity. Itís quite the spectacle; it made me do a double take but didnít inspire enough interest to cross the road to confirm whether it was a permanent structure or not. Being an art lover and sculpture lover than is of concern.

Itís not been warmly embrace so far and is met rather with quizzical raised eyebrows and questions about the waste of money spent on questionable public works. Time will tell on this one I suppose.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467

I'm amazed at the price that was paid for the sculpture, 4 million dollars! Wow!! Wish I could whip up a sculpture and be paid that kind of money for it
Old 09-30-2006, 08:18 AM
Level 10 user

It appears to be a VERY large version of a Mr Softee tutti=frutti ice cream cone. It does catch yur eye. How could it not, being so huge. I would rather have the real thing. Yum
Lou
Old 09-30-2006, 09:26 AM
ISC Member

Hi, There's just no accounting for taste!
Just decorative crap, at least his (or should I say "their") "Spoon Bridge & Cherry" , "Baseball Bat" and the "Clothespin" have something going for them.
There's nothing worse then a bad idea made bigger!
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 09-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Level 10 user

Well Berinje, if it makes you feel any better South Korea is the 10th largest economy in the world, (given that the first three spots are taken by USA, District of Columbia and the State of California or some such) theyíve a little bit of money to spare in the art department Ė so let your fingers do the walking, youíve got the talent.

Tlouis and Ironman, Mystifying isnít it? *L* Perhaps future generations will see something in it that escapes us?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Level 10 user

On opening day of the new DMFA I saw my first Oldenburg piece. He was given one whole end of a huge space with a towering barrel vault above for it. It was a huge rope attached to a huge stake. The stake was (10', 3m) supposedly buried in the floor and the rope was attached to the stake and the barrel vault maybe 60-70' (20m) above the floor. It completly changed the scale of the place, caused one to look up the rope to the ceiling, which caused one to grasp the size of the space again, causing a bit of vertigo. Quite effective and very good use of the space. I really liked the rope which was hemp.

I think the snail is a burn. I imagine a lot of work went into it, it is well made and aught to stand for decades. Song, you have a new neighbor who ain't movin out.

The citizens of Dallas were asked to vote on having a new arena built with the citizens funding part of it. The Dallas Mavericks basketball team and the Dallas Stars Hockey teams play there. I along with a majority voted for the arena. We however were given no say in what it should look like. The contract was awarded to the guy who designed the Ballpark in Arlington for the Texas Rangers Baseball team, which really is a great baseball field, and the Bass Hall Performance Center in downtown Ft. Worth which to be looks like funerary architecture.
The arena is a huge eye sore. Dallas has some great architecture in it. This ain't one of them. You let beaurocrats decide about who gets to make the choices on how to spend the public's money on something that should represent the area and it almost always gets messed up.

That Oldenburg piece looks like just the thing to line the route of the Christmas Parade in Candyland. Having read the article I think that there is a spring and a stream somewhere around where the sculpture is and that possibly sometime, somewhere around there also lived a type of snail with a tight spiral shell. Irridescent at that. It all makes perfect sense to me, but only because I have seen the arena I am helping to fund.

Thatch
Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Level 2 user

Seems to me Oldendurg's pieces garner so much attention simply because thay are so huge. How would people respond if say were only of a size to stand on a mantle piece or table. I think most viewers would give them barely a glance. Sock 'em in the eye bigness doesn't necessarily make for sculpture. Loys
Old 09-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Level 8 user

How to enhance a big -- gray --- dreary -- boxy -- urban canyon ?

Something big -- brightly colored -- and twisty is called for --- and that's what they got.

Of course, they could have gotten the same thing for a lot less money -- or, if they could have used that money build a bunch of them -- and there was no need to build these things to last for eternity -- which has nothing to do with pop-art, does it ?

But as the city fathers declared -- this is all about civic pride and prestige.

One who is conscious of having no pride or prestige will do anything to compensate for it -- whether hiring a famous artist -- or trying to become one.

They would have been smarter to summon Christo and his wife. I don't think they charge anything -- and when they're through, the space is empty again, and ready for something else exciting to happen.

In five years, the Seoul snail like the Chicago baseball bat, will just be another Oldenburg eyesore.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Level 10 user

Itís interesting isnít it Thatch, how some art can leave on in wonder and with greater appreciation of something and other art canÖ.well, be missed entirely as art. *L*

Agreed Loupgarou, bigger, brighter is not always better. Thereís something garish about this work which is most unappealing. Koreans are still learning about being an International cosmopolitan city and in many ways have learned prestige before actual taste. Brand names rule here, though the comprehension and respect for quality is running a bit behind. This may well stand as a monument to this learning moment in their national awakening to the world scene.

Mountshang, you have a feel for the heart of the matter. There is a culture crisis here; growing pains are evident in every quarter Ė understandably. What the city really needs is green spaces, to break up the concrete urban jungle - Lots of green spaces. A four million dollar (or 10 mil) Central Park would have been a blessing. (with statues of course )
Old 09-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Level 10 user

Reading the article I discover that the government didn't pay for it. A corporation did. Furthermore, production cost was $3.6 million, artist got $600,000. So, Berinje', is it still woth your while?(LOL). Then, does the cost still become such a focal point?

Next focal point, the work itself. 96% don't like it. Not surprised. Most people, including artists have very conservative tastes. They get hung up on what is art or what is sculpture, what is proper, etc.,etc.. I wonder what the 4% that like it have to say. That is what I am really curious about. I agree that some contemporary art really makes you wonder "what the hell were they thinking?". I always try and see if there is something there to broaden my out look. And, many times I conclude that it makes no sense. What will future generations think? Will they tear it down. Indeed, what will future art look like.

Now my opinion on this piece...I found it amusing. Don't know why but it makes me smile. Might change my mind if I saw it in real life, like if the execution was poor, but I doubt it. The more I look at the photo, the more amused I am. Art for me doesn't always have to be "noble". Much art is decorative. An amusing decoration is o.k. with me. If you find it garish, then you could easily hate it.
jOe~
Old 09-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Level 10 user

I read all of these responses before looking at the piece, and being quite aware of Oldenburg's work, I was thinking " a monument to an ego, but not to art" and was already prepared to dislike it on principle.

Now, perhaps something is wrong with me today, but upon seeing the photo I actually like it! I don't think the color was a good choice, the scale itself does plenty to draw attention without it needing to be shocking pink and electric blue. It could stand blending a little better ( quite a bit actually ) with its surroundings.

But the form I find quite pleasing, an upward spiral right out of the "golden section mathematical perfection passes inspection natural resurrection dominates intersection alien insurrection how's my complextion" school of art.

Seriously, though, if the color did not jump out and mug you and it was just a meditation on the form and perhaps a nice patina, what's wrong with a natural ascending spiral? Its the surrounding architecture that needs to go.

GlennT
Old 09-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Level 10 user

GlennT, love your phrase "if the color did not jump out and mug you ". I think that describes it perfectly. Plain old patina might make it look, you know kinda plain? But you have to admit this sucker grabs your eyeballs. Part of "new" art is the technology that allows colors that "mug you".

jOe~
Old 09-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Sculptor

I actually like it - form, colors and all. When I first saw Oldenburg's work (mainly through magazine pictures) years ago, I had thoughts similar to some here: what's that? and what a waste of money for such a trivial object! However, it didn't take long for my perspective to shift, and I decided the urbanscape could use a little sense of fun, the way I see his pieces.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:46 AM
ISC Member

Candy? Maybe. But I think there's a very large unicorn out there which is now just a very large horse
Old 10-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Level 10 user

Just another thought on this. When I see good public art, and the large Henry Moore piece at Dallas City Hall comes to mind, I want to get into it. Touch it, crawl on it, walk around it and find out just why it excites me. Now I did only see a photo and in person it could be different but I am not excited, I don't want to walk around it, touch it, basically I wouldn't go out of my way to see it from a distance.
I don't think that public art that is larger than monumental should leave you wondering if it is a candy holiday tree, unicorn horn or a snail that eats U38. I can see mistaking decorative art for fine art since some of it is, advertising for fine art because it can be, but a multi million dollar sculpture should be positive enough for identification as something that is supposed to be art.

At least it wasn't titled "Juxtaposition".

Thatch
Old 10-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Level 10 user

So just for grins, I thought I'd show the "sculpture" to my 13 year old daughter, who has not read art history . The only introductory remark I made to her was, "what do you think, I'm not saying anything until you express your opinion." She said, " if I I had to walk past it everyday, I'd smile and laugh. And If I look at the picture much longer I'll crack up. That's a good thing. I like it". So she has exactly the same response I had which proves only that we're both part of the 4%. So we see it as wonderful splash of color in a place where everyone wears camouflage, that is their clothing (suits , match the buildings. She says, "otherwise that place would be hideously boring".

Now Thatch, "I don't think that public art that is larger than monumental should leave you wondering if it is a candy holiday tree, unicorn horn or a snail that eats U38. I can see mistaking decorative art for fine art since some of it is, advertising for fine art because it can be, but a multi million dollar sculpture should be positive enough for identification as something that is supposed to be art." Perhaps you'd like to specify the exact dimensions so no one goes beyond the "proper parameters "? My daughter's comments again, "If you know exactly what it is, why bother looking at it?" So some of us like wonder and mystery, and wild color. And by the way, Henry Moore did make sculptures that were abstract to the point of not being able to name their resemblance to common objects.

Anyways, it's Sunday morning and I thought I'd introduce my kid to the sculpture community and how they think about art. Please don't anyone take these comments personally.

jOe~ and zOe~
Old 10-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Level 10 user

The Henry Moore piece at city hall is one of those. However there is no doubt that it is a carefully crafted piece of art when you see it. I did walk around and between the pieces, touched them and had a great time.

I am not saying that art has to be serious and kids can't be happy about seeing it. However if something has a price tag of $3,000,000 I don't think people should be standing around saying "What the hell is that Christmas tree doing in the park in September in Seole?" Or. " Have those damned snails been at the U238 again? I hate it when that happens."

I am also not saying that art has to have a reason, but I still want to know why a giant irridescent snail and why one there? If a sculptor got 600 grand for a big pink spiral I want to know how that works. I needs my 600 grand.

Then again, since I doubt the 600K is coming anytime soon, why should I care?

Hey zOe~!!

Thatch
Old 10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Level 10 user

Hey Thatch, Zoe really appreciated the reply. She thinks you still don't get it and are focusing too much on the money . She'll learn about how money affects her thinking all too soon.

jOe~
Old 10-02-2006, 04:48 AM
Level 10 user

Most enjoyable conversation and it mirrors the ones here in Seoul. Some people do find this to be a livening up of a rather concrete dreary scene and even smile over it. Most are rather perplexed or raise eyebrow at it momentarily before shaking their heads and continuing on. The thing which interests me the most is that itís at least a big enough of an eye blurt to get commentary. In some ways it has done its job if in no other reason itís gotten people to talk about art.

Hereís another link to it which shows the base. http://service.joins.com/samsung/eng...sp?aid=2681682

Eventually Iíll be in that area of town again and see if after all the controversy it is interesting enough to cross the street for and view closer. Perhaps my opinion will change with a second viewing Ė it has before.