Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Level 10 user

Let's See Some Work!!!

Hey guys, it seems like it's been a while since I've seen a group of figurative sculptures posted here. I love seeing new work and work in progress. So here's my challenge to all you figurative sculptors out there.... Post some work!!! Recent work, work in progress, even something old if you really like the way it turned out. Lets see some sculpture.

I'll get it started. These are two pieces I never posted here. I recently finished them and they were accepted into a show in Santa Ana. They didn't sell, but I got a good contact out of the show.

Now let's see your stuff.

Alfred
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Level 9 user

Re: Let's See Some Work!!!

Ok, I'm gonna try again, if it works these are my first couple of clay pieces...
Old 12-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Level 9 user

didn't work
Old 12-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Level 10 user

Too bad, Dilida.. try it again so we can see...

Alfred- Would love to see yours up close but the attached image isn't enlarging and opening up for me. Is it working for everyone else?

~Tamara
Old 12-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Level 10 user

Sorry Tamara, I still don't know how to make images enlarge. You can go to my website if you'd like and look under New Work. You can enlarge those photos.

I've already commented on your wonderful piece of the womanina vineyard, but if there's something new on the horizon, I'd love to see it.

Alfred
Old 12-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Level 9 user

I don't understand why the images won't upload here, the width and height are below what the limit is here, but it always says they are too big, by just a little. I've posted them on photobucket, but don't know how to post a link here. I just don't have much patience for computors.

lisa
Old 12-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Level 10 user

Sorry to here that you're having troubles with posting. I'm not all that computer savy myself, I've just forced myself to do things so I don't get left behind technologically. I hope you keep trying to post the work, I was really hoping that that this thread could be a good place to view alot of our current projects. It seems like the metal and stone guys are more productive or at least more willing to share their creations.

Thanks again for trying.

Alfred
Old 12-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Level 9 user

Ok, I think this is gonna work, (thanks Tamara). If a picture shows up, it should be a bobcat catching a jack rabbit. The photo is bad quality because I take pictures about the same way I run the computer. The name of the piece is Hare-To-Slow. I don't like the cat's face now, or the eyes painted black. That wasn't my choosing, but live and learn. If I can convince my patina man to do it again, the eyes won't be so stark.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Level 3 user

Haven't been on site in awhile. I finished a couple small busts recently.

More on Sun Lu Tang:
http://www.keropiansculpture.com/sunlutang.html
More on Vic morrow: http://www.keropiansculpture.com/vicmorrow.html

MK
Old 12-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Level 10 user

Wow!!!! you guys really up'd the anty with those pieces. To qoute Tony the Tiger.. They're Great!!!!

Don, I love that torso, great job. What kind of stone was it. I know some stone guys down in Laguna Beach who have been wanting to get me to start carving some figures in stone. I tell them that I don't have the patience for it. I work so fast and want results so quickly that I think I'd just give up after a couple of weeks and still no finish.

Furby, is that piece for the commission you were talking about several months back?

Keropian, I love those sculpts. Such power in the expressions. You should be very pleased with those. It looks like water based clay. Are these pieces commissions? If so, where are they going?

Thanks for posting such beauties.

Alfred
Old 12-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Level 10 user

Ok, after seeing those great pieces, I thought I'd post this one as well. I think I may have posted it when I returned from the Richard MacDonald Workshop, but it wasn't finished. This is the bronze figure.

I decided to post the companion figure as well. I'm still working on that one and this is an older photo, I haven't taken any since. Just needs the hand and feet details. Eventually I'll cast copies of the pieces in wax and resculpt them so they're together, hands interlocked. I'll resculpt the bases into one unified base. This way I get three sculpture out of two figures.

Alfred
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Level 8 user

I will try to get a piece attatched that is a photo of a piece on show at the local arts walk. It is a horrible picture outside that shows nothing of the form. It kills me because "form" is what gets me going more than "representative" and here is my plug for the metal guys and all of our "atitudes"? is that how you put it?
This is a twenty-four foot long and eleven feet high. A self portrait at that! http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0...59d200bfbc22df
Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Level 8 user

I will try again
Old 12-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Level 8 user

I keep shrinking and getting a message about my 122KB exceeds the limit of 80KB. I can't figure it out because I made it really small????
Old 12-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Level 10 user

I feel your fustration Malloy. Most of us have gone through this problem loading photo images. After this initiation baptism, many have forgotten what are the difficulties.

Anyway, there are two methods to post picture graphic images.

The first one is when the image is already on the web. In that case it is to click into the yellow 'insert image' icon above, and entering the URL of the image.

The second one is when the image is still in your computer. In this case there is are size limits. I am no expert in this. I think one limit is 70 KB (or KP). The other limit is the height and width. I think they are 700 x 700 B or P.

For this method, click on the 'manage attachments' button at the panel below.

Somebody correct me if any of the above are wrong.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Malloy View Post
I keep shrinking and getting a message about my 122KB exceeds the limit of 80KB. I can't figure it out because I made it really small????
Most digital camera's nowadays save pictures at very high pixel resolutions in jpeg or BMP format and each one can be a few megabytes in size. It's not always the dimensional size of the image, but the weight in pixel resolution. if you have any image processing software, photoshop, paintshop, fireworks, (The Gimp is a good free one) or Microsoft Office picture manager open the picture with that and save it out as a Jpeg in 500x400 or so dimension size and you should meet the image upload limit at 80kb. It really is a small cap and I find myself having to resize/crop stuff down a lot too. Jpeg compression is probably best for uploading images as it makes a smaller file size than BMP, Tiff (a "lossless" format) png, etc.. Oddly enough, Microsoft Office picture manager has as good or better compression/resolution specs than Photoshop and it comes with any Office edition..
Old 12-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Level 3 user

Currently they're not commission pieces, just making the mainly for fun. I am adding a body in full WWII regalia to the Vic Morrow Sculpture and may do the same to Sun Lu Tang.

MK
Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Level 10 user

Pzak, I know what you mean. I have some friends who are in the commercial field and all of them are wanting to do their own thing. Onthe oter hand, I'm looking for freelance work and can't find it. It's funny how things work out.

Madguten, welcome aboard. I'm glad you decided to post pictures. I read in another thread that you felt out of your league, but this is a community where beginers are welcome and encouraged. However, be prepared for harsh crits if you ask for them (and sometimes even if you don't), I feel that harsh but honest crits are better than pandering fluff, and if people are just being mean with no intention of being constructive, don't get discouraged. Good Luck and I hope to see more work form you in the future.

Alfred
Old 12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Sculptor

Madguten - I was away yersteday, so I just saw these pics. I had encouraged you to post, and I do like these. They're more in the vein of animation or movie art than general public sculpture, but we have many very good people here showing that sort of work, so your pieces fit right in. Thanks for showing.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Level 1 user

Quote:
be prepared for harsh crits if you ask for them (and sometimes even if you don't), I feel that harsh but honest crits are better than pandering fluff, and if people are just being mean with no intention of being constructive, don't get discouraged. Good Luck and I hope to see more work form you in the future.
I agree, honest criticism is the best kind. And thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
They're more in the vein of animation or movie art than general public sculpture, but we have many very good people here showing that sort of work, so your pieces fit right in. Thanks for showing.
Thank you.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Level 1 user

The female figure im getting ready to ship off to the foundry, unfortunetly all the others dont exist... when i left school i tore them down 4 clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port4.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	7503  Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	7504  Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	7505  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	7506  Click image for larger version

Name:	port5.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	7507  

Old 12-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Sculptor

Welcome, and thanks for the images, CPK. This is your first message I saw, though you also may have posted in the Welcome Center, as I see you have several posts. That female looks a little ragged around the edges to me, though the effect may be only in the photograph.

I think you made the best choice, but I'm not sure I would have spent the money, except as a personal momento. You may be developing a rather loose style, also, and my own goal is more realism.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Level 2 user

Nice work CPK. I really like the first portrait. There seems to be a lot of character behind him. I also like the balance of the female.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Level 10 user

Looks good!! Is that paper clay? It looks like some of the pieces I've been experimenting with. Either way, I like the overall effect. I (like Fritchie) tend to lean to more realism, but I still appreciate a loose style when it's done well. I think you're sculpts fall under that catagory.

Good Job, Thanks for sharring,

Alfred
Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Is that paper clay?

Alfred
Paper clay? not familiar with that, its just run of the mill Plasticine. Thanks for the comments though.

Last edited by circle pine kid : 12-11-2007 at 11:55 AM.