Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2007, 05:38 AM
Level 10 user

Lucifer versus Christ

Has Lucifer a role in this? Two times over the years, the bust of Christ in the Boston Public Library was attacked, while the matching bust of Lucifer nearby was spared.

Christ statue vandalized at library, Lucifer left untouched

Sept 20, 2007, A 160-year-old marble bust of Christ was attacked at the main branch of the Boston Public Library, knocked from its perch on the grand staircase and sent crashing to the floor. Nearby, a matching marble bust of Lucifer was left untouched.

The bust of Christ, left, was broken into pieces.
A nearby sculpture of Lucifer was unharmed
Library surveillance video given to police showed a man and a woman attacking the bust ....The female suspect was seen on the video throwing an object at the sculpture and forcing it off a ledge, according to a police report.

"People reported hearing a crash," said Mary Bender, the library's communication manager.

The two busts were sculptured by Horatio Greenough circa 1845 and have adorned the landing between the first and second floor since the library opened in 1895. The works sat protected behind a railing.

The head of Lucifer has long, handsome locks of curly hair to portray the archangel shortly after he fell from grace, before evil and sin sullied his good looks, Bender said. The bust of Christ rested on two angels, which sat on top of a coiled snake.

This was not the first time Christ was attacked.

In the 1970s, a man lunged at the bust and tried to vandalize it, Bender said. Before the man could do any harm, he was tackled by an employee from the circulation desk coming back from lunch, she said. Lucifer was again left untouched.

After the latest attack, the library plans to fix the bust of Christ, which broke into a few pieces, Bender said. Lucifer has been removed from the grand staircase until the library can determine a secure way for it to be displayed. The library cast doubt on any role Lucifer -- statue or devil -- may have played in the vandalism of Christ.

"You never know," Bender said. "He also works in mysterious ways, I suppose. Who knows what goes through someone's head when they do something like this."

Last edited by Merlion : 09-21-2007 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Lucifer versus Christ

Merlion, I don't think you can get off by saying you are just reporting the news. You are trying to start something...kind of like knocking on doors and running away, or spray painting graffiti. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were just a teenage prankster. But I know you are not a teenager.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Level 10 user

It is good isn't it to be a teenager, .............................. at heart. But I am no prankster, am I ?

And I am reporting the new, ....................... selectively.......... BUT, isn't this what every news editor is doing?

By the way, it was not me who drop some hint about the role of Lucifer. It was the Library Manager.

Last edited by Merlion : 09-21-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Level 10 user

There is something interesting about this bust of Christ. I quote from the news story.

The bust of Christ rested on two angels, which sat on top of a coiled snake

Perhaps it is the snake in cohort with Lucifer. .
Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Level 10 user

yes, you are doing your job well, that is, reporting the news.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Level 10 user

Well, aside from any hocus pocus implicated in the story it does bring up the point that public sculpture/art may need a more effective champion to protect it. Vandalism isn't anything new, but it's vile and one of the most selfish acts man can commit.

I hope the perps recieve stern punishment, I assume they were caught and charged with vandalism and should be put to the question and given some time on the rack.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Level 10 user

Well its because that long-haired, bearded version of christ is tiresome - an artist should do better. Now that Lucifer - quite nice - the evil is lurking so subtly beneath that hornless primped facade, delicate yet menacing...like a lawyer or an insurance salesman, a damn good piece of sculpting.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Level 10 user

Haha, how true... Anyone back then would have had a copy of Paradise Lost on their coffee table and Lucifer definately stole the show in that book.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Level 10 user

What if someone had switched the nameplates on the busts a long time ago. How would we know?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Level 10 user

What if at birth, someone switched your nameplate with that of a bananna, how would we know?

Disclaimer: The proceeding words were offered only in the spirit in which the previous message was presented, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the person from whom they were unavoidably solicited after reading the darn-fool statement that was obviously written with all due respect just up to and including the point in which it crossed the line of decent and civil discourse. Now, if we refer to chapter fourteen in Robert's Rules of Discourse With Off-Color Humor , we find a specific correlation between the mindset of the author representing the party of the first part and the respondee representing the party of the second part....
Old 09-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Level 10 user

I dated a couple attorney's back in the day, that reminds me of foreplay..
Old 09-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
What if at birth, someone switched your nameplate with that of a banana, how would we know?
Well, let me put on my thinking cap for this tough one since people and bananas don't wear namplates. Ah, we've been eating bananas since we walked on our knuckles, or if you think we only walked upright , then at least since they were plucked from trees--you can guess how many years ago. But how many have seen the devil and come back to tell about it? If anyone one has, contact me--I may need assistance some day.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Level 10 user

Oh Merlion, are you happy now? You've reeled in the usual fish with the predictable and reliable bait. Now go to your room and no laughing out loud! Thank you.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~
Well, let me put on my thinking cap for this tough.......I thought I smelled sumthin burnin.

But how many have seen the devil and come back to tell about it?
I have......

Please feel free to contact me with any question regarding this matter.

Back to the vandalism thing,.. 160 year old marble sculptures have a special place in my heart and vandals generally don't. I can remember as a teeny-puppet I did my fair share of naughty things, using Christmas bulbs for hand grenades and stuff like that but even then it would never occur to me to destroy something of value like this. I think an appropriate punishment would be to order them to create a new sculpture in the same likeness made of the same material with the same tools as were offered at the time of it's creation. When they were done I would let them out of their cell. bwahahaha...
Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~
Oh Merlion, are you happy now? You've reeled in the usual fish with the predictable and reliable bait. Now go to your room and no laughing out loud! Thank you.
LOL, LOL! But with a nose like yours, I won't know if you really mean what you say.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
LOL, LOL! But with a nose like yours, I won't know if you really mean what you say.
EEEEgawds man. Put your glasses on! My avatar is not my portrait--I'm wiser, more intelligent looking than G. Bush. But then, thats not saying much is it?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Merlion, I don't think you can get off by saying you are just reporting the news. You are trying to start something...kind of like knocking on doors and running away, or spray painting graffiti.
Yes, becoming more obvious given the previous posts of a religious nature, so I guess I can assume this continues on purpose to both annoy me, and start up the fires and mud slinging in here, ok, if that's the path we want to go, let's get it ON! I'm game, and I'm going to start commenting on exactly how I feel about this religious SHIT being foisted off on the rest of us, not just in public Libraries but HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
Well its because that long-haired, bearded version of christ is tiresome - an artist should
VERY tiresome and totally inaccurate, it's like who the hell knows what this idiot LOOKED like??? hell, we don't even know his real birthday or anything else, we know less about Columbus and he lived only 500 years ago not in ancient history 2,000 years ago when the dumb sheeple of the earth thought the planet was flat, the universe revolved around the earth, and that thunder/lightning was the god's (take your pick of WHICH god there's thousands) anger.

This stupid looking fake concoction someone invented of a bearded man is fantasy just like depictions of sun gods, unicorns, Mercury, Zeus, Athena, Apollo and all the rest.

Quote:
There is something interesting about this bust of Christ. I quote from the news story.

The bust of Christ rested on two angels, which sat on top of a coiled snake
The only thing interesting is that someone FINALLY smashed the shit out of it and good riddance far as I'm concerned, what the hell is this religious garbage doing in a public library that's what I want to know!

I guess INSURANCE will cover this piece of crap too eh?
I'll forward this article to atheists.org as well.

www.zeitgeistmovie.com
www.atheists.org
www.evilbible.com
Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Level 10 user

Auditioning for Anger Management III ?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Sculptor

Merlion - As a moderator, I'm going to have to assign some of the "blame" for the disruption in this thread to you. When Joe~ himself, who we all know loves to debate, says he suspects you have disruptive motives, I only can second his perception. I've chastised Landseer in another thread just now, as well.

Most people love a good laugh on occasion, but enough is enough, and I think it's time for everyone to "take a time-out" as elmentary schoolteachers say. This is beyond juvenile behaviour.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Level 10 user

Art is fueled by many things. Religion, politics, geometricism, processes, science, nature...we will discuss all of these things because they are drivers of creativity. If any subject became "off-limits" the forum itself would lose credibility. Volatility should not be curbed and boundaries are , for the most part, self-assessed by members. If someone goes a bit over the line - then they must be a damn human #@%&* being. The only way any discourse can yield advancement is through the introduction of an abberation (and this goes for art too). So the prickly hairs on the posts are all most welcome from where I sit.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Level 10 user

I'm with you ED... My old boss used to say, go ahead and get mad, it makes you work harder. Some truth to that, when opposing views collide there can be great inspiration often overiding any harm, insult, anger, etc... That said, Fritchie is doing his job and I repsect that too, no need to let anything on a forum go out of bounds..
Old 09-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Level 10 user

You are right Steven, and I mean no disrespect to Fritchie either, but I have never seen anything ever that was REALLY that bad (and I'm a pretty active member) - but I suppose peoples thresholds differ. I would not like to think that a thought was harnessed or a post not undertaken out something so silly as tact, politeness or selfdiscretion...
Old 09-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Level 10 user

Right, I don't want anyone to pull punches (with me anyway) just because it might get hot in the kitchen. That's when I learn the most from people, when they piss me off.

I've said things I regretted a little, maybe even out of spite or retaliation or just to be a smartass, but I can't think of a single person I've spoken with here that I dislike and can't imagine that will change any time soon.

Ziegerfaust is a pretty good flick Lanseer, watching it now..
Old 09-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Joe~ himself, who we all know loves to debate,
Ah shucks. Just to show that I've nothing personal against the God fearing people I'll throw in some religion/God related quotes(from The Forbes Book of Business Quotations p.450-451) that pertain to this discussion.
"A thick skin is a gift from God" Konrad Adenauer
"Some people would not hesitate to drive up to the gate of heaven and honk" John Andrew Holmes.

p. 294 "God will forgive me; it's his line of business" Anonymous

But the following I think is the funniest: "The only graceful way to accept an insult to to ignore it, if you can't ignore it, top it; if you can't top it,laugh at it; if you can't laugh at it, it's probably deserved" Russell Lynes

But hey, its only words. How else/where else can you really express yourself and not get punched in the nose, or sued?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Level 10 user

Fritchie: Noted your view as a moderator.