Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Level 8 user

up or down on the times

Are you inspired when you see new works by living artists or do you find yourself looking towards the past? I find myself inspired by people in the now but mostly my inspiration comes from the masters in our past like Picasso, Moore, Nevelson to name a few. I was talking to my sister Natalie who is enrolled at Penn State for art. She says that one must know what the art world is doing at all times. Tall order,don't you think, how can one find the time? Is it our responsibility to find the time? I am unsure on this one, what do you think?
all the best,
Mark
http://www.pilatostudios.com

Last edited by mark pilato : 01-24-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Level 6 user

Re: up or down on the times

depends on where your inspiration comes from.
Some artists look to other art, some to some other aspect of their lives or experiences. I would think that some artists would gain little from looking at art at all. To be honest, right now I do not get much from looking at "current trends", but that is just where I'm at in my own development. It would only be a distraction at a time when what I am looking for is an understanding of something a little closer to me as a person and as an artist.

The contemporary artists I do look at have little outward resemblance to my own, and though I look more to art of the past, I do not want to simply copy such art, but rather understand what were the impulses behind it and how those same impulses can be re-channelled in current forms.

That said, inspiration usually comes from suprising places, and the work of other artists can indeed be a suprise.

Brad
Old 01-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Level 8 user

Brad,
well said.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 PM
ISC Member

When I was young I once was subscribing to 8 art periodicals. Of course I couldn't keep up with them all, but I wanted to know exactly what the conversation was about. Gradually I have gotten to the point where I rarely read the periodicals and when I get to Chicago to see the galleries I discover that I am flat out of it. I have learned to "read" work pretty well, but though I recognize that I'm a long way from the cutting edge, I don't really care. I am digging deep in a vein that I tapped a long time ago. I'm not sure where it will lead, but it probably won't have much to do with whatever is happening in Milan or Paris or New York among the young turks.

To the extent that there is an avant garde today (is there?) it must be among the young. I see people like Richard Serra or Louise Bourgeouis(?) or Manuel Neri, their work gets stronger and stronger with age and gains in impact to the culture and other artists, but it is really an extension of the work they have been doing for decades. Meanwhile, somewhere youngsters in their 20s or 30s are just tapping into ideas that will blossom in a decade or two as they gain in maturity and experience.

Bob
Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Level 10 user

"though I recognize that I'm a long way from the cutting edge, I don't really care. I am digging deep in a vein that I tapped a long time ago. I'm not sure where it will lead, but it probably won't have much to do with whatever is happening in Milan or Paris or New York among the young turks"(RobertPulley)

Amen!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Level 10 user

In an effort to be the best figurative sculptor I can be, I have looked for the best training, inspiration, and guidance available to me. There has been a steady progression of sculptors building upon the work of the past and addressing the needs of the present, beginning perhaps in Egypt and most dramatically in 5th to 4th century BC Greece, through the Renaissance and Baroque eras and in my opinion culminating in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

By examining the works of past masters, I am able to learn from theri triumphs and from their shortcomings. I have also found that ancient Greek and Roman coins, accessible for purchase to anyone, are a tremendous help in understanding bas-relief. Holding these coins is like learning from a master artist with a miniature masterpiece in hand.

Most contemporary sculpture that I have seen does not inspire me, but may serve to instruct me in regards to technologies, patinas, and the technical aspects of metal working. There are exceptions, but as a whole the artistry is not as refined in regards to beauty, spiritual depth, and balance in surface treatment today as was the case 100 years ago. I care little for being in synch with the trends of the day. My goal is timelessness. I have some very futuristic ideas as well and they will manifest if and when the time is right. But I do not make it my goal to display or set a trend, but rather to do the finest work that I can at any given project.

If sculptors today did as well as Phidias, Polykleitos, Myron, Bernini, Saint-Gaudens, Bistolfi, DC French, and others from previous eras, I would be inspired by their work. Attention getting nonsense does not inspire me, nor does hyper-realism that sees like a camera instead of like a true artist. This unfortunate state has made me very grateful when I do find the gems working in today's world who continue in the tradition of excellence established by past masters. Some of them are among this group. Their work restores my confidence and hope for the future.

GlennT
Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Level 10 user

I too, as a youthful artist read all the artjournals, attended countless gallery shows and searched for artists from the past that My teachers might have overlooked. I wasn't looking for inspiration, running for or five ideas behind even then, but I was looking to engorge myself with art, I was a glutton and could not get enough, didn't want to miss anything. Well I became engorged after awhile, the real world kicked in and I went into survival mode. Put away the art journals, spent all my money on gear (had to then teach myself how to use it). These days I am inspired by an occasional major exhibit (most recently the Smith at Guggenheim) or I will happen upon something current that excites me; also by artist friends beating the same path. I'm getting around now to some of the ideas I have been holding for years. Sometimes commissions throw a wrench in things; deadlines and all. I guess you eventually just get into your own world and I couldn't care less who is "hot" right now.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Level 8 user

thanks all, i feel better about things so heres to our worlds and getting out as much as we can. I suggest the Frick in New York City for those of you who love the masters and they also have a great revolving show of new works as well. Its my favorite museum and I promise if you have not been you will not be disappointed,.Also Marlboro Gallery they to show the masters plus they also show new works.
All the best mark
Old 01-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Level 10 user

Sounds like the consensus is that once you've found your way its just not that important to figure out what the young whipper snappers are up to. What do they know any way? Like are you going to change your style and take up break dancing? At your age? Hell, real dancing is ball room, the fox trot, elegant, graceful, in formal attire, by the rules, no monkey business, respectable. No confusion. Anyone can judge it. Men still looked like men and women looked like dames. Now if only artists would stop trying to be so damn clever and creative, and quit changing the rules all the time. That Pablo guy, oh, don't get me started.

jOe~
Old 01-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Level 10 user

My dance of choice is to dance around opponents with the ball on a soccer field.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~
Sounds like the consensus is that once you've found your way its just not that important to figure out what the young whipper snappers are up to. What do they know any way? Like are you going to change your style and take up break dancing? At your age? Hell, real dancing is ball room, the fox trot, elegant, graceful, in formal attire, by the rules, no monkey business, respectable. No confusion. Anyone can judge it. Men still looked like men and women looked like dames. Now if only artists would stop trying to be so damn clever and creative, and quit changing the rules all the time. That Pablo guy, oh, don't get me started.

jOe~
Boy you nailed it Joe, except for the ball room dancing youíre right on. Have you seen some of this televised ball room stuff, my word, itís just way to sensuous Öitís gotta stop! Iím with ya though, if we all donít conform to our historic traditions soon, then I say our government should enforce it.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
if we all donít conform to our historic traditions soon, then I say our government should enforce it.
Yeah, what is this world coming too? Can't even trust the commies to act like commies and enforce the rules. Commies have caught the creative virus and are now infiltrating the art world. Who taught them and gave them the right to think? I thought that behavior was outlawed. They are selling work for millions that should go into our pockets. Where are the import quotas on art? We were warned in the 50's. They are going to end up brain washing us into doing more non-traditional work...the commies of all people!

jOe~
Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~
Yeah, what is this world coming too? Can't even trust the commies to act like commies and enforce the rules. Commies have caught the creative virus and are now infiltrating the art world. Who taught them and gave them the right to think? I thought that behavior was outlawed. They are selling work for millions that should go into our pockets. Where are the import quotas on art? We were warned in the 50's. They are going to end up brain washing us into doing more non-traditional work...the commies of all people!

jOe~
Amen brother, I like the way you think! is that a picture of you in the upper corner.. I think I know you.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Level 8 user

Joe, lets dance, not the fox trot but the boogie woogie, or the jumping pumpkin, lets push aside and slide. The past is the past and now is now. So lets not groove a move to remove. Lets get hip and dance to dance, lets dress in blue for a commie or two. So push aside your Mr. Prejudice and dance, dance, dance...
All the best,
Mark
Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Joe, lets dance
Sure why not, after dancing last year with my then 12 year old daughter and her boy friend, I'll dance with another dude. But not tonight. Took my daughter to her first live show last night and I'm whoopped and my ears are still ringing. I'll be 56 next week (ground hog's day) and its been a while since I've heard what the high school kids are up to. It was one round of a four round band competition, with five bands playing each night. I've never been into speed metal, but I am now. Jeezus where those kids fantastic. I've still not come down. It was like a major concert experience and the buzz is still on. I heard Hendrix, the Stones and many since, but these kids are right on the tails of the past greats. We'll be going the next week and the week after. Join us Mark.

jOe~
Old 01-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Level 8 user

Joe, sounds good, wish i could but I'm fighting a deadline in search of a smile. Sounds like you found a smile or two. My goal for this next week is to find myself a smile, maybe in the clay in some special way. So Joe, have a ball, and dance for us all.
All the best,
Mark
Old 03-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Level 10 user

Hey Mark, did you ever find your smile? Haven't heard your voice here in a while. Wherefore art thou?

www.tiredironsculptures.com
Old 03-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Level 8 user

Still looking, every time I find myself smiling in the form a dark side of humanity spills in. Its been hard, I sculpt every day using all my mental tools, but still I can not escape this mood. For me sculpting has always been a form of meditation, my mantra being the sound my tool makes. I let myself go opening my mind. Im not sure if you can understand what I am going to say, its been trapped until now, so here goes. When I get to this place, life spilling in, I can find beauty and love, but lately when I really look, finding edges, sliding down into deep places, I see a lot of bad shit, stuff that should not be there, but is. I guess I don't want to grow up, my 9/11 piece woke me up to a lot of this pain, bringing a nightmare into my every day. I found some really cool stuff while sculpting that one, I really felt like it was my best work and that beauty exists, I put it all out. But man I really had no idea what pain was wile sculpting it, I thought I did. When I was done sculpting, I even said out loud, "Yes"!! It was not till after my sculpture was finished that I started to really understand the impact those towers made. So much pain. I found a flower only to find I have no water to keep it alive. I want to be that boy again, the one who talks to birds. The one who sails with the wind. I have found a map to my buried treasure, I feel I am getting close, every once in a wile a friend in the clay helps me along the way.
all the best,
Mark
link to picture of Ascent
http://www.pilatostudios.com/pages/markAscent_048.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cp1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	5518  Click image for larger version

Name:	k33.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	5519  Click image for larger version

Name:	k1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	5521  Click image for larger version

Name:	eqp11.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	5522  Click image for larger version

Name:	cp10.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	5523  

Last edited by mark pilato : 03-09-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Level 10 user

Mark; Since 9/11 and some subsequent passing on of loved ones, I have not composed any new music, which I had been doing consistently beforehand.
It has not affected my other avenues of art in that way.

One thing positive that has occurred is a greater appreciation for, cherishing, and desire to defend or protect that which is good. One of the clearest examples of this being the laughter and innocence of children.

Whenyou focus on the good and it goes into your work, defend and protect that from the negative intrusions, for those works are also your children. They deserve your best effort and your smile, and thus hope is communicated to others.

The clouds may be there, but they pass by while sun shines ever brightly through. Your joy and innocence is your sun.

GlennT
Old 03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Level 8 user

Glenn, sorry to here about the passing of your loved ones, I hope you find the music. I here you, on defending what is good, and I like the idea of defending an inner peace. Lets fight this war together, you find your song and I will find my smile and in doing so we will be that much closer toward finding Peace. Let me know if your game, I could use a comrade.
All the best,
Mark
Old 03-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Level 10 user

Mark, thanks for sharing Ascent and your thoughts with us. Your art and shared thoughts are inspiring/healing for many as we can see from the photos. Even those of us that feel/felt sort of disconnected from 9/11 much as we feel disconnected from say the Titanic 's sinking (in as far as I knew no one lost, never saw it and history moves on faster for those with no concrete connections) are brought into the mourning and raw feelings you trigger, bringing us in to your folds of feelings. That is something that many artists will never be able to accomplish and I think that you are aware of the fact that you accomplished it and it was awesome and painful at the same time. Spring is coming and I think many of us will crawl out of our depression and feel better soon. Many on this forum are dealing with some form of depression and find sculpting healing. I think quite a few of us try to get back to that carefree attitude and feelings of warmth we had as children. Lucky are we that have those memories, pity those who never had them! My world was rocked by a near death expierience and it has taken its toll on my whole being. Not until I get out to my pile of metal and find inspiration there, do I feel oblivious to the crap in the world. Problem is, it is like an orgasm. Not long enough and not often enough. Keep pluggin away and be thankful for the wife and kids. I know my family keeps me going through the rough periods. I can tell you depend on yours too. Best wishes..wayne

www.tiredironsculptures.com
Old 03-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Level 8 user

Thanks Wayne, you conjured up some medicine for me.
There's a place my family and I call heaven, its where a Catskill mountain stream meets the East Branch of the Delaware River, this little stream has carved out the perfect swimming hole. The water is as blue as the ski, and more then ten feet deep. The trout that live there are bigger then my arm and more beautiful then a rainbow. When swimming, the sounds of rapids mix with our children playing, and my wife and I are one, "I love you" in my ear. On the shore in early spring the ground is speckled with Trout Lilies, and Forget-me-nots. We have even been serenaded by a Indigo Bunting and Scarlet Tanagers, while a Red Headed Woodpecker pounded out a knock-en beet.
I found Heaven with river stones under my feet.
All the best,
Mark

Last edited by mark pilato : 03-09-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Level 10 user

Yes, the children hold the key to joy...they'll snap your priorities right into shape. You will gladly give your place at the center of the universe to them...realizing with delight that its their turn.

And the art is an impenetrable fortress. The one self-fulfilling act. The triflings cannot reach you there.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Level 9 user

Hang on Yankees! Spring IS coming, it's here, it will be there soon.The birds are returning and singing, the frogs are singing at night, the sun is shining. I know I can't compare our winter with yours, but it was a rough one for us as winters go.Lots of sickness and pain in my family too, but It is passing as all things do. Soon you will feel the renewal spring brings with it. I was in the woods yesterday, and you can just feel the earth swelling with life though it's still brown. The sap is coloring the bare branches, most buds are swelling, some trees blooming, you can just feel it. Soon you will be walking barefoot with your kids, and all will feel right, Soon.

lisa
Old 03-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Level 3 user

Big thumbs up on the current times. I wouldn't want to return the the days where Rodin was seen as a rogue sculptor by the establishment. On the other hand we have our problems. We live in a time when anyone who wants to gather rocks, stack them in a pile and call is art is a reality. (I apologize to all the rock stackers reading this, I have a bias...sorry) It's curious to me that the new establishment in many ways is just as critical of Rodin as the establishment was in his day..

Personally I think viewing art from all periods is necessary to build visual acuity...also there is much to learn from the "silent Masters" Tomorrow I am off to Paris where I plan to spend two weeks viewing the Romantic period....for the above reasons but also because I LIKE sculpture and it brings me pleasure.

Joe,
When it comes to dance have you tried tango ?. It's totally improvised and very romantically connected.

Cheers,
Denis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denis and Lynn tango embrace photo jpeg.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	5540