Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Level 10 user

Possible project

Locally to me the town is planning to replace the old municipal pool with a new one, they only have about half the $3 million raised but moving along.
I thought since the city replaced the old fountain in the square with a cast-iron Victorian replica, and the old bandstand (mostly a large gazebo) was replaced about 20 years ago with a Victorian replica, and the lamp posts and benches reflect the style as well, as does a street clock also installed.

The pool is several blocks away, it doesn't have to match the square, but it would be appropriate to have some kind of art on it if there's provisions.
So I dropped the appropriate people in charge an email last night asking if anyone had thought at all about adding any kind of sculptures or artwork either on a low running wall on in the wall of whatever structure is planned for the restrooms and changing building.
The current one is a small concrete block affair, the new one will not be wood frame but probably block or possibly brick.
So I said if there was a place something could go on/in the wall, I'd donate a sculpture for that (thinking of one of my flat rectangular panels)

The people wrote back very enthusiastic and will run it past the board and engineer, meanwhile I tried to think of a design but that's the hard part!
I sent them a picture of my Art Deco "Sun worshipper" panel just to show them what I meant by low relief flat panel.

I sort of think that design might look nice and is somewhat related to the pool/water with the sun and sun rays and woman looking up to and enjoying the rays, but I also thought maybe a "landscape" with state related motifs (agriculture etc) or a "view" overlooking a pool filled with water and maybe three swimmers in the the water in various aspects, something like this bronze medal:

I'm still trying to think of some ideas for a design I could do that would go well with something like a city swimming pool, I even looked at the state flag and the state's Great Seal designs to see if there might be something on them that might spark a design that could be state related, but this state has the most BORING state seal and probably the seond most BORING state flag of all the states, no kidding! New York and Idaho have really interesting state seals with a couple of standard bearers and other motifs I like.

It probably doesn't have have to be a panel, it might even wind up being nothing more than a decorative border near the top of the wall or frieze, or even just the city name + "pool" in raised or incized letters, but for now we'll assume it might wind up being a panel or even a round medallion shape.

Ideas, examples or suggestions will be happily entertained in this thread