Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 09:01 AM
ISC Member

Press Release and Invite!

Hello all,

I'm having a show in Miami, Florida next month and wanted to extend an invitation to anyone in the area that might like to attend.

Thanks, I hope to meet some of you there.
Steve

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Lippzy Lopez
Email: Lnader@skylinemarybrickell.com
Phone: 305-285-7272 or
Author Rudy Ferraro
Phone: 770-310-7667
Email: rudyferraro@verizon.net
Miami Billionaire Developer, Evangeline Gouletas, Hosts
Art Exhibit and Inspirational Book Intro.
Miami, FL—Author and Motivational Speaker, Rudy Ferraro and one of the south’s finest
Sculptors, Steve Miller, will join Miami Billionaire Developer, Evangeline Gouletas for a oneof-
a-kind cocktail reception at Miami’s own Mary Brickell Village. By reservation only and from
7pm to 9pm on Thursday, November 13th, guests will enjoy the inspiring sculptures of
Steve Miller and as special guest, author of the motivational book, “Choose Your Way
There,” Rudy Ferraro will meet and greet with Miami’s elite.
An evening of hors d’ oeuvres and cocktails plus a chance to meet and talk with one of
today’s most powerful motivational speakers and one of the south’s finest Sculptors. For
more information please contact Lippzy Nader at 305-285-7272 or email at
Lnader@skylinemarybrickell.com

"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired. -Robert Strauss

Last edited by Stevem : 10-07-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Press Release and Invite!

Nothing personal, since I do not know you, but " the Southeast's finest sculptor..." is not a phrase one should use to publicize oneself without much stronger evidence. In fact, even were there much stronger evidence it only calls to mind that there are in fact other fine and more accomplished sculptors in the southeast, so if searching for a catchphrase, why not utilize truth and have it call attention to qualities specific to your work without proclaiming yourself king of the hill?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Level 10 user

Glenn, can you come up with a lecture for "Miami Billionaire Developer, Evangeline Gouletas". There's too much of that catch phrase thing going on here too. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Nothing personal, since I do not know you, but " the Southeast's finest sculptor..." is not a phrase one should use to publicize oneself without much stronger evidence.
You know that it was just some "not we" in PR who came up with that! Assuming that the artist was allowed to even see a proof of this invite (and I doubt he was) I too would just smirk and say - "Sure, run with it!". Wouldn't you?

Last edited by cheesepaws : 10-09-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I too would just smirk and say - "Sure, run with it!". Wouldn't you?
Aw shucks man. I don't deserve nothing like that. Bet Glen does.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
Aw shucks man. I don't deserve nothing like that. Bet Glen does.
Thanks for standing up for my integrity, jOe.

I would not say, " Run with it." I value truth. If it were to say, "one of the finest" it would be a non-issue. To isolate oneself as the finest is a large hunk of hubris to chew off even for a great sculptor.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Level 7 user

This announcement is full of superlatives - typical quick culture style.

The reference to the "Billionaire" seems crass, so is the one to the "most powerful motivational speaker" - those make me gag. On the other hand, reference to money is sure to attract those who pad their status vicariously - so this might be a very clever strategy....? Whatever works.

Note that Steve Miller is said to be "*one* of the South famous Sculptors." That is really fine with me. I am thrilled that a sculptor get to have that kind of recognition especially a sculptor that does not pander to the epidermic sensitivity as some better-known sculptor does (not in the South, elsewhere but I am too cautious to name name)....

So, Steve I hope the Billionaire whose presence will grace the event, will brings people with beaucoup de bucks and that you will make a killing sale.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
The reference to the "Billionaire" seems crass, so is the one to the "most powerful motivational speaker"
"most powerful motivational speaker" sounds like he could incite a riot just as easily as I could incite enlightenment if I was a Zen master. Both are dangerous characters. Then what would you expect from Miami???. Ok I guess the Zen thing was over the top. Got me. Just read it as a koan instead. We all know you can't incite enlightenment, ya gotta trick 'em in to it.

Oh, sellin' a bunch of work would be so Zen. Good luck!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Level 10 user

Zazie, you know that's just gonna make some of us nuts by saying you won't name names. It doesn't even matter, but now I'm dying to know. That would probably be a good marketing tool...? somehow.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Level 10 user

Sorry Stevem for the humor attempts. Really do hope you have a fantastic time. Mingling with people who have done something big on their own is always interesting and hopefully for you financially rewarding. The rest of us wouldn't even know what to wear.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM
ISC Member

Wow I had no idea I would incite all this commentary. Seeing as I didn't write the press release I was a bit flattered to have someone write that with me in context. I knew it was all publicity B.S, I don't think I'm any better than any one else but admittedly it was an ego stroke to have read it.

I only posted the press release and invitation on here as an effort to hopefully make contact with some of you here on this site if you were local. I surely didn't think I was going to attract the attention of any potential clients in Miami. It was truly an attempt to "INVITE" some of my cyber friends. If you don't want to come or can't come or you are not in the area that's fine but I hope you could look beyond all the publicity lingo and take the thing at face value. An invitation to a party. Geesh! next time I'll use more prudence in posting.

"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired. -Robert Strauss
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I hope you could look beyond all the publicity lingo and take the thing at face value. An invitation to a party. Geesh! next time I'll use more prudence in posting.
But hey, artists are too often wise guys with a twisted look on things which is why I just apologized. If it weren't for the art outlet we'd be real deviants. It was all meant in fun..except maybe Glenn's(party pooper) comment.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Level 7 user

" I surely didn't think I was going to attract the attention of any potential clients in Miami. It was truly an attempt to "INVITE" some of my cyber friends. "

Steve, my comments were genuine and about people in Miami - not about the distinguished (well, most of the time) members of this forum who, by their own account, have no money to spare, and whose ego need no padding (ahem). The show is indeed an occasion to relish and enjoy.

All the very best, and I still hope your work will attract the attention of those with overflowing billfolds.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
It was all meant in fun..except maybe Glenn's(party pooper) comment.
I had the apparently improper idea that an outsider's opinion might be of some service. Whomever is describing an artist might not want to call a Chevy a Lamborgini, as it is a set-up for disappointed expectations.

But, don't let me spoil the fun.

Party, baby, party!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM
ISC Member

Thanks Glen,

So now am I to understand I am a Chevy? In your initial response you said
Quote:
Nothing personal, since I do not know you
For someone who doesn't know me you sure seem to aim to make things personal.

I'll try my best not to disappoint the attending public, but if I do you can say I told you so.

Sometimes it's better not to say anything at all. It was an invitation, that's all!

Thanks for the support.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Party, baby, party
Not very creative. Could almost say plagiarism. "Drill baby drill". But if that was a political joke, ok. Stevem, enjoy yourself and good luck. I'd be there if I lived nearby. Thanks for the invite.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Level 10 user

Steve, maybe they're actually saying you're a hunk as well as your sculpture. That's the beauty of ambiguous claims.

"The South's finest sculptor"

Use the meaning that gets you to where you need to be.
Enjoy, and thanks for including us deadbeats who live miles from anything.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Level 10 user

Advice unwelcome, analogies taken personally, I end up looking like a crumbum, for daring to point out something that could help in the long run instead of simply patting my fellow artist on the back and going "hurrah".
Had I intially lacked respect, I would have remained silent. It is much easier and will be considered in the future.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 PM
ISC Member

Thanks Grommet,

I surely know that I don't fit that category. Maybe if they jacked me up and drove a new me under me, but I'll keep that in mind.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Level 10 user

Stevem- I feel that way some days too, in terms of decrepitude.

Glenn,It's hard sometimes to keep the intent of things in mind (who me digress?). But the fact is it's an invitation for the biggest picture on the invite with cultural enticements on the other side.
Steve, correct me if I'm wrong, but this developer wants people to come see the architectural goodies & hopes they'll hang around so brought the South's finest in to sweeten the pot. I hope it all works out well. Practice your brief humorous anecdotes.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Level 10 user

Okay, its just a party, but if some of the Southeast's other finest sculptors happen to show up, don't ask me to referee. I'll be busy at the hors-d'oevere table with my "Upper Midwest's Finest Sculptor" badge on, checking to see if Cheespaws swiped the Brie, and hoping evaldart left a bit of caviar on the table before jumping in the swimming pool with his black jeans and tee shirt on.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Level 10 user

Ever listen to Donald Trump talk. Its always the same. Its about the best, the largest, the most expensive,exclusive, award winning, world champion, the finest. Associate with these kind of people and they have to elevate you no matter who you are...and not putting you down Steve, just explaining to Crumbum, that billionaires only hang with the creme of the crop. At worst Steven is guilty by association. I doubt that he stipulated in some contract that he would not show up unless the wording on the brochure listed him as "the finest...". Guess Crumbum doesn't hang in those circles. Too bad. I can just see him with a crowd around him, pontificating on the finer(finest) points of good taste in art the others may be able to learn from him if they listen closely. He'd fit right in, the self proclaimed emperor of good taste. Yeah, we've had this discussion before, Crumbum and I. But you know, I'm serious. He is the perfect(finest) snob. I defer. And its not just any party.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Level 10 user

Hey pal, it's "pompous windbag" to you, not "snob"!

"Art, according to the erudite elitists who I love to quote, consists of blah blah blah blah tweedertwodder fla fla..."
Winchell Twittertoes, the Northeast's finest art critic.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Level 10 user

multitasking...
Old 10-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Level 10 user

welcome to the world of high priced PR firms,who are Fluffuing the event with artist and authors,where we become court jestures for the super rich.The good thing is if you are inthe right place,right conversation,right person,you might bag a good sale or commision,but remember if it sounds to good to be true,it usually is.Hey props for the networking.Also, be preparded for the the people who talk big at these events,but never back it up afterwords.Basically, unless you have an agent or rep there,you gotta "work it" while you have the chance.Good luck and let us know how it grows,and hey I thought I was the SE greatest sculptor...Ah just kidding furlings...IA