Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!

I do not wish to seem too ebulient in my praise, but.....
Thank you Sam-----this is a daily delight and has sent me on several searches to see more of the works of
Beasley
Ginever
The Strong museum
Paley
Evermore
Pomodoro
etc.
Adduci.....I found the image so entertaining in its humor and simplicity(and it seems to function as a fairly good recliner). And I had earlier dismissed him because I found the work shown in Chicago uncomfortable and uninspiring. Now I see through the prejudice. Thanx....In it's simplicity, it seems so unlike his other metal sculptures.

This adventure has been an eye opener and a tad tiring trying to understand/ get a feel for, the pieces which reached out and grabbed my attention, and I ain't even traveling.
I hope you are comfortable.

Thanx again
rod

Last edited by sculptor : 06-18-2004 at 08:06 PM. Reason: epimetheus
Old 06-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Sculptor

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!; hybrids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptorsam
The next morning, we stopped by Harry's and his neighbor, the sculptor Dana Stewart. They were loading up some sculptures onto Harry's truck for delivery to a local sculpture show. We got a tour of Dana's house and studio where we found tons of humorous bronze figures. The large one in the first pic greets you immediately when you get there. Dana cast it all himself at his own foundry on site. The second is a number of other, smaller Beasts indoors. The third is Harry's truck loaded up with the works. Dana is passing by in the middle.
Sam - Thanks for these Dana Stewart pieces. Iím impressed with the porcupine - bear - dinosaur hybrid in the front yard, plus the four-headed Cerberus. Amazing what the imagination can do when the means are at hand.

Harryís work reminds me of some things I helped an MFA student assemble about 35 years ago when I was taking my first sculpture classes, though his are much larger. This student, who has gone on to a very successful career in wood sculpture and a sort of abstract figuration, had gotten a couple of mahogany logs locally,and had carved and assembled them into a configuration somewhat like the ones here.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:45 PM

Sam, take a day off. You are going to blow a fuse.

Book into a posh hotel with a spa, take Mandy to a nice restaurant, rent a movie.

Old 06-19-2004, 07:20 PM

[quote=fritchie]Sam - Thanks for these Dana Stewart pieces. Iím impressed with the porcupine - bear - dinosaur hybrid in the front yard, plus the four-headed Cerberus. Amazing what the imagination can do when the means are at hand.QUOTE]

I believe the name of the four-headed beast was Suburberus. Very funny stuff.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptor
This adventure has been an eye opener and a tad tiring trying to understand/ get a feel for, the pieces which reached out and grabbed my attention, and I ain't even traveling.
I hope you are comfortable.

Thanx again
rod
Thanks, Rod. It can be a little easier to get a hold of in person just because of the repetition. When you've been to as many places as we have, you see some of the same sculptures repeatedly. But Mandy is good about creating games to keep our attention up. She likes to quiz me on the artist/title of works (I get a point a piece) and we sometimes grade the works on a school point system. 6 is an F, 10 an A+ using half-point increments. It keeps things interesting, and she is getting quite knowledgable. I commented today that she probably knows more than most high-school art teachers!
Old 06-19-2004, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araich
Sam, take a day off. You are going to blow a fuse.

Book into a posh hotel with a spa, take Mandy to a nice restaurant, rent a movie.

A good suggestion, but we have a couple more busy days before it slows down for a bit...

We're in Washington D.C. at the moment for two nights. We already saw the Hirshorn Museum and Sculpture Park as well as the National Gallery of Art and their Sculpture Park. I really enjoyed the Hirshorn. A nice layout of sculpture on the grounds with plenty more indoors. The Juan Munoz installation (third pic) was particularly good.

Side note: I am trying not to repeat pictures of artists, but since the museums themselves repeat not only the artists but even works themselves, it will be inevitable here as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hirshorn1.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	799  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hirshorn2.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	800  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hirshorn3.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	801  
Old 06-19-2004, 07:39 PM

The National Gallery is housed in an impressive building with a newer I.M. Pei designed East Gallery housing the Contemporary Art collection. The large Calder Mobile that usually hangs in the East Wing was unfortunately in for repairs to the bearings so we were unable to enjoy it. There is another rather formal Sculpture Garden nearby with some good sculptures as well. Give yourself plenty of time to see it all though. We were there for nearly 3 hours and still nearly skipped half the main floor.

L to R: David Smith with Tony Smith, Abakonowicz with Di Suvero, Serra inside East Wing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	National1.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	805  Click image for larger version

Name:	National2.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	806  Click image for larger version

Name:	National3.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	807  

Last edited by sculptorsam : 06-19-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Sculptor

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!; hybrids; DC

Quote:
We're in Washington D.C. at the moment for two nights. We already saw the Hirshorn Museum and Sculpture Park as well as the National Gallery of Art and their Sculpture Park. I really enjoyed the Hirshorn. A nice layout of sculpture on the grounds with plenty more indoors. The Juan Munoz installation (third pic) was particularly good.

Side note: I am trying not to repeat pictures of artists, but since the museums themselves repeat not only the artists but even works themselves, it will be inevitable here as well.
I donít believe you identified the gears-within-a-world piece in the first pic, but I believe it was a centerpiece in a plaza at the WTC, and was badly damaged on 9.11.01 and sent back to the artist in Germany. Another copy was in Rome, in a pic JAZ posted of a Roman-era 6 to 8 foot bronze pinecone. These things do get around, so I appreciate the difficulty.

I havenít been in DC in about a dozen years or more, and am or was familiar with the Hirshhorn sculpture garden, but the NG? Is that another one?
Old 06-19-2004, 10:26 PM

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!; hybrids; DC

That work is another by Pomodoro, who I believe I've posted a few of already. If it was damaged, it looks fine now. I was trying more for some pics that gave a sense of both the works and the presentation in those views. The prominent work in the second pic is Marino Marini followed by Moore. The other works escape me at the moment...

The National Gallery has an adjoining sculpture garden across the Mall from the Hirshorn, next to the National Archives. It's a symmetrical park with a very large fountain in the middle where people seem to enjoy dangling their feet in the water. About 12-15 large works surround it.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:06 PM

Yesterday we visited a number of places, but the two most relevant ones for here were the Renwick Gallery and the Natural History Museum. The Renwick Gallery is a collection of fine crafts. As such, they threaded very closely, if not actually crossing, the line into Art with a capital A. It was quite clear that when the "crafts" wish to cross boundaries, they get less useful in their design while "art" tends to dabble in functionality.

The first two pics are of very inventive but not very "useful" furniture. The chair is by Jacob Cress while the table is by Wendel Castle. The third is of course the Renwick Gates by Albert Paley. They were smaller than I had envisioned, more the size of actual doors, but beautiful in their executuion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jacob Cress.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	809  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wendel Castle.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	810  Click image for larger version

Name:	Albert Paley.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	811  
Old 06-21-2004, 08:15 PM

The Natural History Museum was full of dead and beautiful things. What a great place! I took plenty of pictures of bones along with the occasional rock or mineral. Here are a couple that I thought you'd find interesting.

The first pic is a miniature bronze Triceratops skull created from the digital scanning of the original fossil. The text informed me that scientists often find it easier to study the smaller version than the full size original which would require a crane or may be in another location. I know similar technology is being used in sculpture these days as well.

And I thought it would be fun to compare the next two images side-by-side. I believe the first is of Hemetite (though I'm sure if that's wrong someone will correct me) and is around 7 inches tall. The next is of a David Smith sculpture in the Hirshorn Sculpture Garden.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Triceratops.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	812  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hemetite.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	813  Click image for larger version

Name:	Smith.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	814  
Old 06-21-2004, 08:19 PM

The first one here is of a dinosaur bone. Just a very beautiful, sculptural form.

The next two are another comparative set. The first is of a sand concretion, standing around 4 feet tall. The second is of a Jean Arp sculpture in the Hirshorn Sculpture Garden as well. Perhaps a Hans Bellmer work would have been more appropriate (I just haven't seen one yet), but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bone.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	815  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sand.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	816  Click image for larger version

Name:	Arp.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	817  
Old 06-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Sculptor

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour! Fool's gold

Quote:
The Natural History Museum was full of dead and beautiful things. What a great place! I took plenty of pictures of bones along with the occasional rock or mineral. Here are a couple that I thought you'd find interesting. ...

And I thought it would be fun to compare the next two images side-by-side. I believe the first is of Hemetite (though I'm sure if that's wrong someone will correct me) and is around 7 inches tall. The next is of a David Smith sculpture in the Hirshorn Sculpture Garden.
Youíre right, Sam. This isnít hematite, which is an iron oxide, of theoretical formula Fe2O3, but a related material, FeS, commonly called Foolís Gold because of its color. I canít recall the formal, common, name right now. One of NASAís current two Mars rovers went to the Meridiani Planum site because of remote-sensing detection of large amounts of hematite there, and they found a real, not a foolís goldmine of information. (This is the probe that landed in the small crater.)

The other one finally has reached a goldmine of its own after traveling about a mile over lava fields, looking at odd but informative impact ejecta and flood sweepings.

This presentation of paired natural and manmade objects is great! Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by fritchie : 06-21-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the clarification, fritchie. Now I remember what the hemitite looked like, much like a Bellmer sculpture as well actually.

First up today on our move Westward was the Columbus Museum of Art. We found a very nice formal sculpture courtyard there both outside and in along with various other works placed around the grounds. A nice museum with some very fine work. I don't know why, but I was pleasantly surprised.

First pic is the outdoor courtyard. Second is a sculpture by Giacomo Manzu also in the courtyard. Third is a pairing of Chihuly and Butterfield in the indoor courtyard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Columbus1.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	818  Click image for larger version

Name:	Manzu.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	819  Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbus3.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	820  
Old 06-22-2004, 07:56 PM

Next was a stop at the University of Cincinnatti to look at their sculpture on campus. I have to admit that we did not see much. There was plenty of construction going on hampering movement but mainly they built the campus on the side of a valley. There were so many stairs and levels over the sizable campus that we just didn't have it in us at this point to wander around hoping to find something.

We did see a couple nice works however. The first pair of pics is a two-piece sculpture by Dennis Oppenheim. The second is a Kenneth Snelson.

So far to date, I have taken 2,095 pictures on this trip. Perhaps a slow visit, picture-wise, was in order.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oppenheim1.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	821  Click image for larger version

Name:	Oppenheim2.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	822  Click image for larger version

Name:	Snelson.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	823  
Old 06-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Level 6 user

It's pyrite, if anyone still cares.

Sam that concretion is making me drool. Larry Carlson did some digital pieces that are very similar to it. The wheels are turning over here. Thank you.

You have also inspired me to take a trip south in the next year or so to visit some US destinations. Our sculpture gardens are quite sparse by comparison. In fact I think the registry shows fewer gardens in all of Canada than in most of your states!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, fritchie. Now I remember what the hemitite looked like, much like a Bellmer sculpture as well actually.

First up today on our move Westward was the Columbus Museum of Art. We found a very nice formal sculpture courtyard there both outside and in along with various other works placed around the grounds. A nice museum with some very fine work. I don't know why, but I was pleasantly surprised.

First pic is the outdoor courtyard. Second is a sculpture by Giacomo Manzu also in the courtyard. Third is a pairing of Chihuly and Butterfield in the indoor courtyard.
Sam......got a close-up of the woman beyond the pool?

rod
Old 06-22-2004, 09:50 PM

Here you go, Rod. She is by Aristide Maillol with a Hepworth in the far right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010050.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	824  
Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Level 10 user

Thanx Sam, I like Maillol's women though the early ones were a tad chunky for my taste

and

and, river which I ain't quite comfortable with.
and

rod
Old 06-23-2004, 09:46 PM

It was just a short trip to start the day at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. We happened to catch them in mid-construction of a very nice addition to the museum. That, along with a new Art/Nature park across the street should make it a great place in a year or so. As it was, the collection on view wasn't too large. But they did have a very nice room of Neo-Impressionists that made Mandy happy. Here are a couple pics from near the parking area. There were no identifying plaques with them, so it's anybody's guess...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Indy1.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	828  Click image for larger version

Name:	Indy2.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	829  Click image for larger version

Name:	Indy3.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	830  
Old 06-23-2004, 09:53 PM

From there, it was a helluva hot 3+ hour drive to the Cedarhust Center for the Arts. We're essentially driving without AC at this point, can't wait to head North again. Once at Cedarhust, it was a pleasure to see some good outdoor sculpture again after a couple of fairly slow days. There is some water and nature trails out back that make for good bird watching as well. We even happened across a deer.

L to R: shot of Museum building with Linda Flemming sculptures in foreground, Bob Emser sculpture, non-labeled sculpture that I believe is by Foon Sham
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fleming.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	831  Click image for larger version

Name:	Emser.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	832  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sham.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	833  
Old 06-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Sculptor

Re: Dream Sculpture Tour!; logistics?

Quote:
Next was a stop at ......

So far to date, I have taken 2,095 pictures on this trip. Perhaps a slow visit, picture-wise, was in order.
Thanks for this item, Sam. I hadnít really thought about mechanics, but how are you doing this? I expect probably a PC with a CD Read/write unit. You probably still would need enough camera memory cards to hold a couple hundred pictures, and I guess you download to CD each night.

Last edited by fritchie : 06-23-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:54 AM

I have a couple large memory cards for my camera that I download to my laptop every night. It's a fairly basic laptop, no CD-R and only around 5 gig hard drive (which I have nearly used up). I still have my eye out for an external hard drive for back up. When I get home, I'll transfer them to my desktop, burn them to disk, and leave them on the external as well. I have a couple sets of rechargable batteries, the charger, and 12 volt adapter so I can charge in the car if need be.

It was also a good idea to bring both a wireless PC card, Ethernet card and an Ethernet cable. The hook-up at different hotels varies so you have to be prepared. Right now I'm on wireless, which I still think is the coolest thing.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:38 PM

If you winzip up your images you'll save a stack of space on that hard drive...
Old 06-25-2004, 12:30 AM

We started the day out only a couple blocks from the Laumeier Sculpture Park in St. Louis, MO which was convenient. We got there pretty early, but it didn't take long for the day to heat up. It was nice that there were plenty of trails through the woods on this 90+ acre park where shade could be found. The park itself is very nice. Built on a collection of work by Ernest Trova, who is from St. Louis, there is a nice mix of permanent work and work on loan by the artist. And there is a combination of formal garden settings and more natural openings for showing work. Having this combination seems to make for the best presentation we've found.

The first work here is a Di Suvero in front of the main museum building. The second a work by Robert Lobe of sheet aluminum hammered over a tree trunk. The third is probably my favorite work there, a figure by Trova.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Laumeier1.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	839  Click image for larger version

Name:	Laumeier2.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	840  Click image for larger version

Name:	Laumeier3.JPG
Views:	378