Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Level 10 user

Re: SD cuts all arts funding

I am absolutely--ADAMANTLY--against any tax funding for public education. What a complete waste of tax payers money. Public education has totally failed in its fundamental objectives--to teach people how to think. Why would you want that any way? Think of the huge savings to individuals. Also, the tax exempt status of churches must be revoked. Churches have failed in making people more peaceful. Imagine all the money the government would receive(further reducing tax payer obligations). That should make the penny pinching conservatives happy. They will get to hoard more of their precious loot and they will be even less exposed to intelligent thought. I also suggest they not involve themselves (even though it is free) with the irritating thought provoking discussions on this forum. Then they could better spend their time counting, admiring and worshiping their precious money. Maybe there should be a thread just for conservatives where they could brag about their latest materialistic acquisitions. How cool would that be. Their consumption would even be more conspicuous. That is what its all about isn't it--hoard and boast?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Level 10 user

Don't worry folks, jOe was just having a bad dream and sleepwalked to his computer and started typing. He'll wake up out of dopeysterotypeland any moment.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Schroeder View Post
Public art on public property defines our culture. We spend trillions to defend it. How can any artist not care about that ?

I care about it and of-course I want to see public sculpture and I have no qualms about local or state govt. funding it like they always have. I do have a problem with Federal funds being allocated to states though because that is not the way govt was designed and there is no representation or oversight like there was no oversight with freddie and fanny and as a result Barney Frank was allowed to sink the country. States fund memorials and parks and this, that and the other. Why not let the lottery fund these things like it was intended to do instead of being greedily sucked up by "administrative" costs? How many dolts does it take to hand out a lottery check once every few months anyway? 40% of the funds go to "administrators".. Crooks one-and-all Aaron and THAT is why I am againts the GOVT. deciding what should go where and not because of some "penny pinching" nonsense such as Joe is illustrating.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
It is not necessarily true that "South Dakota decides it doesn't want art". Rather, they decided that the government cannot afford to meddle in that arena with the taxpayer's money.

I have been working for 20 years creating art with approximately zero involvement with any government-funded projects. What that means is that in addition to being an artist I also have to be an educator, helping clients or potential clients realize the value in THEIR supporting the arts. That process has allowed my vision to prevail by virtue of its merits rather than being constricted by the limited thinking of a prospectus clouded by the politics of the day.
Go Glenn, Could not have said it any better.