Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Level 10 user

Re: CBS News: Sculpture time experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
Art came before science. Science is just logical creativity. Discovery is playfulness. You have to be creative to discover.
I'll sign up for that.

No bumper stickers, but I do like one that my buddy had that said "What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?"
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Level 9 user

Heck yea! Bumper stickers! How about...

*Art precedes life* * Buy Art* *A job is an artists worst enemy*
*Art is not a team sport* *Art works at the bakery*
Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Level 10 user

My bumper sticker says "I brake for super-powers".
Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Level 9 user

I was thinking last night about how artists don't ask very many questions. When this work is presented in science forums, I am berated with questions. Has art lost all it's power? Art may be shocking but other than that it's left to a lobby or courtyard here and there and the gallery. No body cares. Oh, it's just art. Hell, just look at how the reporters wrote it off as art. When I presented on science forums, I crashed servers. As art? Nada.

Is anyone here just the least bit curious what I'm trying to do and how?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Level 10 user

Look O, science and physics and medicine, etc. all require pedigree...an organized trail of education and acceptance to ensure that your hypothesis' are all "in-line". If you've awakened anything in these people that would have them pelting you with questions it is because of the Art affectations. They are enjoying your narrative and interested in the possiblility of expanding their boring language. You are as much a novelty to them as you are to the suits at the TV station.
WE, on the other hand, are seeing performance art...and this is a SCULPTURE forum. Please don't be offended if we are not so engaged in the pseudo-technicia and hypothesised magnitude of it all.
I do not doubt that, lifetime object-maker that you are, you will eventually distill this into Art...and I'm sure this way of getting there is very exciting. But Science is just an extension of nature, driven by cause and effect necessity and function... and is just as inevitable and predictable as those things. Human perception is quite detached from nature, and when given the proper chance it will give us something quite UN-natural...like Art.

Last edited by evaldart : 10-29-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Level 10 user

Very good Evaldart. Science is the epitome in man's attempt to reveal absolute (but not necessarily eternal)truth and grasp reality. ART is the epitome in alternative thinking( to the rigid logic of science). That is why there are no rules that apply absolutely--which is a way of saying that there are no rules. Pushing beyond societal conventions and expectations and finding even greater beauty and intrigue is so liberating! So the question to you Evaldart: If your art is an act of personal force that reveals life expanding feelings, then how can a viewer ever "get it" if most of the meaning is in the making?

Note to Glenn and those mystified by Smith's quote below--I hope this helps you understand.

Last edited by jOe~ : 10-29-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: hope
Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Level 10 user

Joe, the more EXclusive, within, concentrated, personal and despiting my creative actions, the MORE the viewer, my viewer, get served. This is because I believe that the artist is working at his best when SO MUCH has gone into the effort, that some spills-over. There are other works, jobbish chores, that happen very easy...put in the hours, follow the steps, refer to the drawing etc, that we take very little from (except cabbage). Some of those can be quite large and consuming, mind you, but they are not the "finest of the fine". And though commissioners of such works are easily pleased, they are not getting the best of me, or from me (lord knows they wouldn't want that). Excellence is a casual stroll...pertinence is a sprint; a sprint with an undecided finish-line. And a sprint revealed by the slowness of everything else that happens.

We must accept that all of our efforts are not necessarily "yielding". Folks can learn, though, to be appreciating of a wide range of made-things. But the things that are Art, and nobody really knows which ones for sure, "give" by virtue of their bursting.

When I experience the overspill from a work of Art, anyones, I not only revel in the pertinence, I become envigorated by the vicarious thrill of what the Artist must have been feeling as he/she brought it into being.

In all, efforts that pander to the predicament and function of your incidentals, stand no chance of getting you ahead. Your dust in their eyes will be a greater service, as they'll have a potntially illuminating haze to follow.

Last edited by evaldart : 10-29-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Joe, the more EXclusive, within, concentrated, personal and despiting my creative actions, the MORE the viewer, my viewer, get served.
Yeah, I was trying to get at that creative spittle on the "eccentric" thread but it wasn't flowing into everyday life. The bands I really like, spill that transference into everything. Their expressive behavior isn't an act or segregated out as performance persona. I was wondering if any sculpture folks let it leak out in everyday life. But,here,holding hands in public was seen as an act of edgy behavior that few topped . I gave up. I think being yourself requires pushing the edges and the more you do it the more fun and friends, and too, the clueless don't kill the buzz. Just my philosophy. Ya, I know, many don't want change and need the herd and thus have more company that way. Whatever is the best you can do.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Level 9 user

Davinci built all kinds of scientific equipment and war machines. What happened to the modern artist? Why is the modern artist only interested in art for arts sake? Sculptors are hands on people. We build our houses and studios. We wire up our equipment. We are tool junkies. Why in the hell can't we apply ourselves to the worlds problems? Why can't new energy or new modes of transportation be our themes? We are creative. We spend our lives being creative. The world has physical problems. We work the physical. Isn't it time for us to think about the condition of the box as well as think outside of it?

This is the new art movement of the 21st century. We are the linebackers tackling the worlds problems.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Level 9 user

bump.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Level 10 user

It is only in weakened states (hunger) that the Artist endeavors to help his species with their problems. Because he knows damned-well that it is, after all, actually a DIS-service. Making things for them is all barter...a lawn ornament for a vehicle, a gizmomaggigit for a warehouse, an action-painting for a long slice in the belly...a pretty vase for a hammer-drill.
We give them the most by exceeding our own expectations of ourselves. The things we Artists manage to get-done without them, when it all finally foams-over, can start them thinking...yes, just thinking and perhaps wondering, which may or may-not lead to any pertinent action (and whether or not it does is none of our damned business).
Old 11-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Level 10 user

I think the real challenge is to assist the box where you see a glaring lack without being rapidly stuffed into it by those who couldn't see the lack to begin with, but have strong hairy knuckles.
I suggest practicing your creative wind-sprints in solitude before you go near the box people.

Be wary of people who don't see the difference between thinking out of the box and thinking outside the box.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Level 10 user

Let the outsider speak, we might learn something. Time travell can be a compelling topic. Why not urge him on, perhaps one day we can all approach the subject of time and space with more of an open mind. Who doesn't want that ?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Level 10 user

It needs to be understood, quite digested, in the interest of individual furtherance, that we already have complete control over time and space. Charades that that would employ mechanisms, gadgets, formulas and languages are a backwards-looking distraction. They are an insult against knowledge and action. Inasmuch as existence or presence is inseperable from perception, theres no mystery in the "being". The mystery lies in potency, assertion, instigation and the general enlivening that can occur by the atom-less fuel that spurs us on. Satifying functions, solving riddles and constantly sustaining are "en-deadening" activities...even an avocation, or hobby contains more worthwhile. The second hand on your watch does not add or take-away anything, but it can kill a proper thought, or corrall an otherwise free instant.

Time can me marked by 30lb spools of .035 and space can be staked by how far away you can roll your gantry.

Last edited by evaldart : 11-10-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Tine can me marked by 30lb spools of .035 and space can be staked by how far away you can roll your gantry.
While this is absolutely true, it also means that you've found a box that is just your size. It would be hell without that creative elbow-room.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
It needs to be understood, quite digested, in the interest of individual furtherance, that we already have complete control over time and space. Charades that that would employ mechanisms, gadgets, formulas and languages are a backwards-looking distraction. They are an insult against knowledge and action. Inasmuch as existence is or presence is inseperable from perception, theres no mystery in the "being". The mystery lies in potency, assertion, instigation and the general enlivening that can occur by the atom-less fuel that spurs us on. Satifying functions, solving riddles and constantly sustaining are "en-deadening" activities...even an avocation, or hobby contains more worthwhile. The second hand on your watch does not add or take-away anything, but its can kill a proper thought, or corrall an otherwise free instant.

Tine can me marked by 30lb spools of .035 and space can be staked by how far away you can roll your gantry.

I think this wins the profound post of the week award!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Level 9 user

.035 just means heavy metal. That's heavy metal that can quickly find itself scrapped. Heavy metal is over. Sheet is the way to go now days! So make that .025 for me!

What's funny is that everyone harks upon the time travel aspect when I actually had to fight pretty hard to prevent it. Instantaneous travel is what it's all about. Besides, I don't like dodging the time travel cops who are only 5 minutes away.

Once while testing, all four of the computers rebooted themselves with bios presets of 1828. I thought if I got out of the unit and opened the studio door the door would turn to wood, the studio to a barn, and me with 8 hours of gasoline in the generator to get my ass home. Instead, I spent 2 hours re-setting the bios clocks, setting up the programs, and getting everything back. Sure no one believes me. Who cares. I proudly wiped the sweat from my forehead that day
Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Level 10 user

The hardest thing about time travell has always been getting back " Home ". Sailboats go, that's not the problem, getting them to go where you want them to, when you want then to....is. If I have any questions, it's concerning the means/methods that you utilize to orient your systems to return to a fixed point ( a wild concept ). What, how do you get your gizmos to orient on a now? Certainly there's more to it than setting a clock.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Level 9 user

Time travel sucks quite frankly. It takes time to time travel. I utilize pre-section 15 pc's which are quite slow. It takes about a day to go 5 years. Seriously, what really sucks and why there are no time travelors to speak of is because somewhere in time a police force was put in place to eradicate time travelors. They are never more than 5 minutes away. Sounds like a movie... so be it.

Space and time are interconnected. I utilize a simple astronomy program to give positions in space and on Earth, with past, present, and future time frames.

Skip the time travel crap. How would you like to close your eyes and imagine yourself on a tropical beach and then open your eyes on that beach? Some day, hardware like mine will be as small as a trinket on your key chain!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Level 10 user

Theres a delighted optimism in your tone these days, O. Perhaps its the new medium, or the de-cloaking, or the recent attention or a general creative maturing. Whatever it is, it suits you. Maniocentrics such as myself who expect laborious perseverence to fix (and break) everything, wont be reading your reportings as true lab-notes, but rather as verbal plottings...you are having your way with Time when you can try-out an idea before going through the trouble of executing it. You will discover though that their is a wear-and-tear on your molecules as the "in-jump" moments accumulate (they become agitated by their unplacement). Also dont forget about the perceptive contamination that occurs by actually witnessing events of the past (wont be anything like what your read in books or what they told you in school). You'll never believe another word they tell you...especially their diagnoses and assessments.
If you ever need a co-pilot, call old Evaldart...I don't mind an adventure and I've got a very special Ray-Gun.

Last edited by evaldart : 11-10-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Level 9 user

Yeah Eval, things are OK. Just about done with a 5'x12' wall relief to pay the bills. It's a never ending internal debate regarding disclosure. Should it stay secret in hopes of patents and production, or blab how it works. It would probably take 6 hours to describe most of it. Be nice if I got enough after bills for the 6 12 volt deep cell batteries I need for it. I guess I could go for broke and dump rent into it but the problem is I need 2+ months for testing.

Hey Eval, if ya see that thing in your backyard some day don't be scared...jus' me takin' ya up on yer offer!

Last edited by outsider : 11-11-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Level 10 user

forget time travel
the only reason to travel is cause you ain't satisfied in being where you are
the only reason to time travel is cause you ain't satisfied in being when you are

be satisfied in the here and now
and
if you really need something
let the warrior sleep while the nagual runs the errands
beyond the constraints
outside the box
outside the perspective
outside the rational
in the moment and in all time, here and there and nowhere all at the same time and in no time
the "physical laws" are constructs of your own limitations

sleep warriors and set the nagual free
as/re
Quote:
If it weren't for science, you would not be able to create the art that you do today.
alternately:
If it weren't for art we would not be able to create the science that we do today.
engineers need the dreams and imaginations of the artists
to build the tools we use
on a recent trip to Ecuador, I found myself hurtling toward the east at over 1000 miles per hour
with no sensation of movement
really amazing stuff

Last edited by sculptor : 11-17-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Level 9 user

Just put up video of the AC armature motor test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nGWSi3NNE

I started building a planet 15 years ago. Time to go see it. Many more steps before the Y-16 inner spacecraft is ready though.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Level 10 user

How many RPM does your gizmo have to spinn at to work ( yes I'm trying to get you to divulged your secrets ). In this recent video, I'm hearing what sounds like an off center shaft, a noisy bearing, perhaps an imbalance in the central form, something. Do you have power running into that central form ? I see the coils around the spinning form and the coils in the cabin, what's the connection ?

A few clues would be appreciated. I advocate getting ideas out there instead of keeping them secret ( which may be very foolish of me ). So many great thinkers and tinkers have gone to their grave before they could work out the legalities around their inventions. So much has been lost ( perhaps for the best, it can be a hard call ).

Perhaps posting a wish list of pieces, parts and components would help. Asking folks to contribute sometimes results in generous gifts. I find it hard to believe that you can't get you hands on all the batteries and such that you need to make this system work just as you envision. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Level 3 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
O, Physics is not bad, as sciences go, because it at least enjoys flirtaions with bafflement; but it can't be with Art because of its annoying desire for conclusions. You'll note that all these conclusions get replaced by another wrong one soo enough.
What an interesting "conclusion" about conclusions. Definitely a conclusive conclusion about what not to include. This all ignorant respect for the unknown and those who pursue learning and knowledge, wasn't Leonardo DaVinci a bit of a physicist? I think he pursued science and some call it art?