Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Level 9 user

CBS News: Sculpture time experiment

CBS News: Sculpture time experiment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2_A38WQeCg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m2_A38WQeCg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m2_A38WQeCg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Level 10 user

Re: CBS News: Sculpture time experiment

Chris, That is a nice piece of media. Great performance !!!

Hey, check out a guy named Jon Thurber and a company called Sonic- Dynamics. Those guys are doing interesting stuff with sound waves. I watched a demo video of a device that has 2 speakers mounted on an armiture , one on each side of an axis. Oddly enough the object rotates into the sonic field created infront of the speakers which seems totally backwards. I was informed that a sonic vibration of a specific frequency can be added to the leading surface of any number of objects thus enableing it to pass through atmospheres ( air and water ) with much greater efficiency. Perhaps such a frequency would enable you to travell through time or at least amplify the drama of a performance.

I look forward to the next news segment, Keep up the good work.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Level 10 user

Well, you did it. Right in front of the cameras, the television dude and the couched viewing public. They think you failed, or your contraption failed: but you distracted them with the bells and whistles...and the dust-mask. Indeed you did go somewhere else and the "performance" had nothing to do with it. Most perceivers are so gullible. Your slight of hand and gizmo had them laughing, dazzled...but I know you're the one amused. Its not fair, though, duping them so...taking candy from a baby, the ol' Switcheroo...sending them all out to the Big Game so you can ransack their house while they're gone. It aint sculpture, and "performance art" is anything and nothing. BUT, your actions and labors in assembling this event are indeed 'fine". You are proving things to yourself here that will lead to better and better things...things that eventually will NOT ask for any lookers. Proving that physics is for babies and that Art is for a real warrior. Thumbs-up from ol Evaldart.

I wish I had a laboratory.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Level 10 user

Cool, technically it worked. It did go forward in time,.. just not very far.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Level 10 user

Just imagine how many beers, cigarettes, cars, political campaign ads, flu medicines, were sold to the public as they awaited to be transported spiritually or should I say virtually in time. The objective of the media is to primarily gain prime advertisers who put their money where the public's eye is. There is no better bait than a disappearing act or time travel.
Robert Rauschenberg did performance art for the Broadway audience. I only wish to travel back in the time of John Cage, Merce Cunningham, Andy Warhol, Robert Rauschenberg, Isamu Noguchi, Martha Graham, Jean-Michel Basquiat....Did I mention Bill T Johns, Alvin Ailey, Keith Herring?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfqn4SJY4a8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP59Q3tirEg
Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 AM
Level 10 user

Back to the drawing board? They didn't interview Chris afterwards...
and by that I mean... what if he did travel off someplace and then
returned back to the same exact time he departed from?

TIME for an update.... from tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Level 10 user

John Cage

There was a musical composition by John Cage titled 4' 33" . It was four minutes and thirty three seconds of silence. He sat in front of a piano for that length of time as he looked at and turned pages of music without playing a single note.
The music was in the ambient silence.
Performance art is in its own realm. But its the items that they try to sell us that get to me. The art becomes really trivialized as mere diversion while we are subliminally sold undesirable products like beer and cigarettes.

Sculpture Talk

4' 33"

Silence according to Cage
Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Level 10 user

4 33 was not about silence at all. John Cage was a trickster much like Duchamp. He'll lead you to believe the work is about one thing when actually its secretly about something else altogether. 4 33 was about NOISE...not silence. Cage was demonstrating or featuring the random ear-candy that is always there for us to grow from. All we must do is sit ans listen for a little while...maybe 4 minutes 33 seconds.

Last edited by evaldart : 10-21-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Level 10 user

Unlike the others here, i'd say don't waste your 4 minutes and 39 seconds of UTube time on Oscar's folly.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Level 10 user

My favorite part was 14%. Such a perfect number.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Level 9 user

Is it art? Is it science? Was it just a performance?

Yes I am a sculptor and yes I love physics. So in the spirit of Leonardo, I invent! One of my quotes is, "if it doesn't work, it's just a sculpture".

Ever since my brother was asked, and refused, to participate in teleportation experiments back in 1966-67, I have had great interest. It most certainly is difficult to believe anything so low tech and by an artist, could be anything but a performance.Take for instance the dust mask. The inlets had been glued shut and an oxygen hose was inserted. Yes, budget restraints kept from having a real oxygen mask.

It was an agent, a gallery owner, that pushed me to do the CBS gig. He had a show of mine comming up. I wasn't ready, hence a mere 14% equation rendered chance of success. Well it didn't appear as anything had happened, but let me just say that 3 out of 5 experiments did have success. For a ton of reasons I can't begin to explain quickly, the unit was stripped of the electronics and sealed up. It sat for 6 years as a sculpture that was on loan to City Halls, parks, and restaurants. This year It was brought back inside, reconfigued, and rebuilt.

see the new ship here....

http://www.youtube.com/v/pl-5MRBJtq4

Peace Love and Happiness for all.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Level 10 user

O, The best thing you said was "If it doesn't work, its just a sculpture". Its very important that sculpture (or art at its "finest") does not "work". Function is the killer of Art. It is a distractor, a reducer, a thinner, a lightener, a sterilizer... Your machine/object is busy with the stuff of sculpture. It is poised to become it, was that the Ark? you have done a hell of a job obliderating the decoratives it previously held. Anyhow, your talk of physics as a source for the occurrence of that artwork should be kept to yourself. Physics is not bad, as sciences go, because it at least enjoys flirtaions with bafflement; but it can't be with Art because of its annoying desire for conclusions. You'll note that all these conclusions get replaced by another wrong one soo enough. So get the physics out of it. Time is already yours to do with as you wish...a no brainer. Spend that energy outside of mere "use". I've said it before, Sculpture, real things beget from thresholded intensities that address NOTHING but their event based coming-to-be, will always be far more fulfilling than the fumblings that arrive by pure thought. Your busy-ness is the subject of your work....not Time or anything else. Get rid of the space-suit and the TV boy and let the object become what it must. Theres plenty of other projects to do to pay the bills (and some might even be fun). But separate-out and recognize the exceptional ones...give them what they require.
There is no reason to believe that ANY invented thing is really any more important than a toaster...not an iron lung or an atom smasher...just more "things that work". They're every-damn-where.
Inventing and creating are nowhere near the same thing. One is a slave while the other enslaves.

Last edited by evaldart : 10-22-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Level 9 user

'sup Evaldart. That's not The Ark in the videos. The Ark was my first ship. It is 20 feet long, 10 feet wide, and 8 feet tall. The Ark encompasses a lot of metaphor but no electronics or electromechanicals. I'm a ship builder building tommorrows ships today which makes me a sculptor!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Level 9 user

Just landed some sponsorship for the Y-16 project. Should be putting in the deep cells on Monday. Which will allow the AC systems to test. Then video with Z rotor spin.

Hey, you guys think this is just art?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
Hey, you guys think this is just art?
Not me. I didn't think it was art. Interesting and humorous, but not art.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Level 9 user

For 16 years now, scientists think this work is art and artists either think it is science or can not define it. Well, I have received art grants for the work. I would love to receive a science grant.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Level 10 user

Grants? To hell with grants! Thats poisoned money...will F-up the whole project. Do it all your damned self. Frankenstein-style. If you really want to water-down your Art with science, at leat do it on YOUR terms. Its too late in the game to cave-in, O. Your on the right track, just keep pushin'. Really, no one needs to know about the good stuff...thats ALL yours.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:21 AM
Level 10 user

I like the idea of being a ship builder. No matter how people define ones work, it might as well float off into one medium or another. Even better is the object that stands still, holds it's place while everything else moves around it. Establishing an unwavering place that you can always get back to, that's what art and science is all about. What good is travell if doesn't get you back to a starting point or a standard unit of measure? Function and form, how can you seperate the two ? A focus on one results in a focus of the other.

All things are spaceships/timemachines.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Level 10 user

What you must understand is that science is so much less than Art.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Level 10 user

Only if you're thinkin' narrow. occasionally it is an equal all-out flight of fancy that occasionally pays off monetarily.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Level 10 user

If it weren't for science, you would not be able to create the art that you do today.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Level 10 user

That's a bit of a stretch. If you mean that one butterfly flapping changes the world, okay. But there's more than one way to beat a dead horse...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Level 10 user

Taking evaldart's work for example:

works in metal...metallurgy-product of science

welds....science

assembles scrap metal....all produced as objects whose function and orgins derive from science.

finishes on metal...chemical science

power tools...mechanical science

forge....caveman science

muscle..caveman
Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Level 9 user

Art came before science. Science is just logical creativity. Discovery is playfulness. You have to be creative to discover.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
Art came before science. Science is just logical creativity. Discovery is playfulness. You have to be creative to discover.
Are you auditioning for a bumper-sticker company?