Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Giant waterfalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanartists View Post
Ah, there are not any falls (except drainage pipes) leading to or from the east river. Way way up the Hudson there are some in its tributaries.
(deep breath in) Ah, smell that? It's the natural falls and their load of natural by-products!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 AM
ISC Member

Hi, How is that fertility symbol any more real than those water falls???????
Both are man made.
Have a great day,
Jeff

By the way, the East river is not considered a river but a tidal estuary and therefore according to the federal government, Long Island isn't an island.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Level 10 user

waterfalls

Hi Jeff,

Good to hear from you,

The pictograph of the fertility symbol, unlike the falls, is currently totally off limits. The area that was open to campers, bird watchers and rock-climbers is now protected. When I did the painting, there was a map that pointed to the general locations of those pictographs but no specific coordinate. Some are easy to find but the fertility symbol is very difficult to encounter. One must enjoy first and foremost, nature.
Looking at the falls is not sufficiently gratifying. One must roam to the source of the river or tributary and experience the real falls.
The 500-year-old pictographs are real in the sense that they were painted by native Americans who expressed on stones, genuine and real feelings. It is like a religious experience being in the sacred environment of the native Americans where the night sky is distant from city lights. Not a tourist attraction, but a momentarily private place to meditate and contemplate about the reality of life in all its present splendor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00026_1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	8737  
Old 07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
ISC Member

Re: waterfalls

Hi Claude,
It's good to hear from you too!
The falls are TODAYS expression of genuine and real feelings. For you to talk about those pictographs as being better because they're in a sacred environment or better because they were done by some unknown native american who according to you was more in touch with his world than Olaf Eliasson (I'm sure I misspelled his name) is pure conjecture on your part.
Your argument doesn't hold water, how do you know it wasn't a tourist attraction in its day? Meditate? contemplate?
Are you that old that you were there during the creation of that piece? I think not!
So you're just regurgitating what you've already heard and with absolutely no facts to back it up.
That pictograph is not more real than the falls, just older and done for a different culture.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Say hello to Anna and Michael for me.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Level 10 user

Giant waterfalls

The contextual references between pictographs and water falls were only a personal observations. Why do people look at reality through the refracted light of cinema or television and ignore their real environment?
There are natural falls along the Gial river and the Rio Grande, but some people will ignore what is in their own backyard and travel great distances to visit man-made diversions. There are great petroglyphs near Silver City at Three Rivers. And there are pictographs at Hueco Tanks. The people who created them were not sponsored by the town mayor as a publicity stunt to lures tourists.
I have not seen the artificial N.Y. falls but I have seen the Grand Canyon. After camping and hiking in the North Rim region, there is nothing so far that has surpassed that gratification. Nature remains the greater artist.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00011_1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	8748  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018_1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	8749  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00032_1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	8750  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00383.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	8751  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblecutter View Post
The contextual references between pictographs and water falls were only a personal observations. Why do people look at reality through the refracted light of cinema or television and ignore their real environment?
There are natural falls along the Gial river and the Rio Grande, but some people will ignore what is in their own backyard and travel great distances to visit man-made diversions. There are great petroglyphs near Silver City at Three Rivers. And there are pictographs at Hueco Tanks. The people who created them were not sponsored by the town mayor as a publicity stunt to lures tourists.
I have not seen the artificial N.Y. falls but I have seen the Grand Canyon. After camping and hiking in the North Rim region, there is nothing so far that has surpassed that gratification. Nature remains the greater artist.
While I am quite thankful to Nature for providing me with a place to enact my sustenance, I will not repect it as a creator of anything. Grand happenstance allows for its state - celestial churnings decide all its changes. It takes a human (or a space alien) to create; all else is just doing whatever it is supposed to do (the opposite of consciously directed creativity).

But I agree with you Marblecutter about the NYC waterfalls...a tourist-trap/spectacle. Has little to do with the ponderings of an elevated intellect or the warrings of some hands loosed upon the world. Those falls are not too different than a circus or a fair or an exposition...aimed at the masses, pelting them with kid gloves.

The art needn't compete with this any more than it should compete with buildings, bridges, or clouds...worry about the damn trees; they'll kill you everytime.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Level 10 user

Re: 4 Giant waterfalls to be installed in NYC

boring waste of money without any merit whatsoever. I can't even work up the energy to explain why...
Old 07-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Level 10 user

I'd very much prefer one tall water fountain like the one at the lake at Geneva.

Or they can have two tall ones, side by side, as a remembrance. Then people would not say they copy the idea from Geneva.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Level 10 user

One Giant waterfall

One Giant waterfall
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pissing boy.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	8803  
Old 07-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Level 10 user

I've just been contacted by a curator in Fulton Ferry State Park ( under the bridge where this waterfall is occurring), I may well be going up against it starting next weekend. I have to believe that all that rushing water will be no match for "The Real Bigwheel". So I'll bring that one down.