Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2007, 09:07 PM

Re: Postcards from Seattle -Sculpture Parks and Gardens

Very nice video Russ, thanks. I do believe I got a sense of what it's like to walk amongst them. Next time you need to take the video camera with you for the entire conference and save us all the airfare. Just tack a webcam onto your hat brim and broadcast in real time. Bonus.

Seriously though, thanks for posting this thread, right up my alley.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuBert View Post
I want to post a video I took of walking through Serra's Wake sculpture in Olympic Sculpture Park and uploaded to YouTube.

It's true that walking among the massive components of his 300-ton sculpture, you might feel a little twinge of danger and awe as you do with other Serra pieces. But actually here I felt like I was walking along the side of a ship or was amongst a school of whales perhaps, and didn't worry that the steel could crush me...
Thanks Russ for sharing the video.

I have walked near and underneath vessels in dry docks. The feeling when walking next to the bow is an awe of the curved shape towering over me. But walking underneath the raised flat bottom is a feeling of danger.

I suppose walking among Serra's steel sculpture gives a feeling of both. Concerning danger, visitors can see that the tall slender steel pieces are just placed on the ground and not anchored, and most (unlike you) cannot be very sure if they may not topple over.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Level 6 user

Wonderful pictures and descriptions of the conference and the art in the city. I'm homesick - Seattle was where I grew-up. Keep those pictures, videos and descriptions coming!
Old 10-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Level 10 user

Russ, the addition of YouTube is just what this forum needed. One-d and two-d have been fun, but this takes it to entirely new level . Fantastic!!! And I'm on dial-up. Those who are viewing the Serra video, note the menu, there are other goodies there too.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:37 AM
scupture.net

Re: Postcards from Seattle - Sculpture Parks and Gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptorsam View Post
Very nice video Russ, thanks. I do believe I got a sense of what it's like to walk amongst them. Next time you need to take the video camera with you for the entire conference and save us all the airfare. Just tack a webcam onto your hat brim and broadcast in real time. Bonus.

Seriously though, thanks for posting this thread, right up my alley.
Thank you Sam, and with that thought in mind, I want to direct you and others here at Sculpture Community to the Sculpture.net blog where I have uploaded a video that can't run using YouYube because they have a limit of only 10 minutes per video.

I’m always impressed with a public speaker that can speak eloquently without using notes and be lightly humorous at the same time. Ned Rifkin did that and much more during his keynote address to the Sculpture Parks and Gardens Conference attendees, which was also open to the public.

From Michelangelo's David to Rodin’s bronzes to contemporary computer generated figures - he examined the evolution of technology and the changing notion of what Sculpture is, was, and will be.

Starting with the dictionary definition of sculpture he went on to show how sculpture is much more varied and interesting than could be contained by narrow interpretations of the field. His is comprehensive, covering a broad spectrum of the history of art as it pertains to definitions of Sculpture in all of its diverse manifestations.

He shows us a neon sign, a Joseph Kosuth piece, as a piece which signifies it’s intent through use of language, and to provoke us to some extent. Obviously, I found that an interesting choice as I do neon pieces from time to time. But then he's off to a whirlwind examination of the history of art as it relates to sculpture.

This keynote is really must see for anyone who seriously wants to understand the evolution of sculpture as it pertains to modern art world today.

It may take 30 seconds or so to start and lasts about an hour. I’m not sure how well it will work if you have a dial-up connection, but I hope you will be able to watch and listen to this - I promise you will find it worth your time.

http://www.russrubert.com/Sculpture.net/Blog

Last edited by RuBert : 10-27-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:02 PM
scupture.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
Russ, the addition of YouTube is just what this forum needed. One-d and two-d have been fun, but this takes it to entirely new level . Fantastic!!! And I'm on dial-up. Those who are viewing the Serra video, note the menu, there are other goodies there too.
I agree YouTube videos are potentially great and could be used to show everything from technical lessons to kinetic sculpture. There is a new "Tube" button on the message entry box and basically you just use that to quote your YouTube video # and it is then placed into your comments.

Did you try to watch the keynote? I know some can see it with fast connections but what about the rest?
Old 10-28-2007, 11:08 PM
scupture.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianna View Post
A great read.

Also, I saw the note on your blog and I'd be interested in being a part of a network of sculptors' blogs.
Sounds good, do you have a blog in addition to your website? Please PM the address to me and I'll take a look.

Any other Sculptor Bloggers out there?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuBert View Post
... YouTube videos are potentially great and could be used to show everything from technical lessons to kinetic sculpture. There is a new "Tube" button on the message entry box and basically you just use that to quote your YouTube video # and it is then placed into your comments.
I agree it is sometimes interesting and useful to show videos. I have from time to time done it, posting links to mostly YouTube videos. This is not a problem. I just link it to the URL of the video, just like linking to a website, and it works well.

But I have not tried the new 'Tube' button yet, and cannot compare.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:19 AM

Russ, I like the blog with videos and look forward to checking them all out.

The streaming works okay for me, first time perfectly though now with only the audio. But I find I naturally prefer to download and watch in my own media player. It's rare that I sit through an entire "episode" of something and often just leave windows/players open on my desktop at random points. There are inevitably bumps/buffering hiccups with streaming. I like the freedom of resizing windows, using my favorite players for different media, etc.

Is there a technical reason for only making it streaming instead of downloadable avi files?

Last edited by RuBert : 10-30-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM
scupture.net

"Is there a technical reason for only making it streaming instead of downloadable avi files?"

The reason in this case is the size - about 500 mb as an avi file. It starts out as a 56 gb file and so that is hard to make small no matter what you do. But I might be able to break it up or something. Even a podcast is really big, but I might try a different setting or so. Anyone using the video ipods here? We might try a podcast.

Also, it is working again now, but wasn't earlier as I think so many people were on streaming it that it overloaded the server. Oh well... the wonders and pains of pushing the limits.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:59 PM

Wow, that's a good size file. Streaming does make sense in that case. For larger files, I like to use Free Download Manager and set it to download overnight during non-peak hours.

I don't have a video ipod, but I do enjoy audio podcasts on my mp3 player. I prefer to just watch videos on my home computer. But then, I don't have a commute on the train/bus/etc. where a video ipod would really come in handy.