Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 12:15 PM
scupture.net

Postcards from Seattle -Sculpture Parks and Gardens

Well, Iím on my way to Seattle for ISCís conference Sculpture in Public: Part 1, Sculpture Parks and Gardens.

Wow, what a mouthful, perhaps we will become enlighten as to why it requires such a long title. Just kidding, and I am looking forward to the discussions and many events they have planned.

I'll be posting some images and thoughts about attending the conference. A Postcard from Seattle to Sculpture Community of sorts. Really what I am working on is a new sculpture.net blog, and this is a great place to get started.

As we arrived I snapped a couple of photos using my iphone - it worked pretty well so I thought you might like to see them.

I looking forward to going to Olympic Sculpture Park tomorrow, and will take my better camera. If any of you are here in Seattle, lets try and connect!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	7142  Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	7143  
Old 10-14-2007, 12:32 PM
scupture.net

Re: Postcards from Seattle -Sculpture Parks and Gardens

Right as we got off the plane we were greeted with an example of Public Art in an airport.

Norie Sato, Wings of Transition: Seatac 9, 1992
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	7144  Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	7145  
Old 10-14-2007, 12:42 PM
scupture.net

We got lucky in our hotel room as we couldn't get in the conference hotel (as all the rooms are booked by now), so actually for a bit less money we ended up in a room with a view of the water and mountains.

We got to see a really wonderful Seattle sunset.

Last edited by RuBert : 10-15-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 AM
scupture.net

It was hot (that is if you call 63 degrees hot) and beautiful today, and we had a very full day. Olympic Sculpture park was amazing. I have a full disk of photos waiting to be downloaded from my camera, but it is about 2 am CDT time so it will have to wait.

I did get some shots worth having as the sun was perfect. Our friend here in Seattle remarked "come back in six months and maybe we'll have another sunny day".

She said that's why they drink a lot of coffee here. We also saw the first Starbucks location ever - it's still in business and looks as popular as ever.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Level 10 user

Looking forward to the photos. I lived in Seattle for17 years or so but haven't been back in about 3or 4. Used to go to Starbucks when they were known for tea. Love seeing a tourist view, though I'll be one next time I go.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Sculptor

Great to see the photos, Russ. We look forward to more.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:50 AM
scupture.net

Well I've got some of the images up from Olympic Sculpture Park in a gallery located here:

It was a great day to visit the park, we had lots of sun and great weather. People were enjoying themselves, walking around the sculpture, and really talking about art.

The first day of the conference went really well and I heard many positive comments. We didn't get back to our hotel till about 3 am midwest time so I'll be posting more about the conference events later.

We're loving the Seattle experience so far.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks for sharing, Seattle is one of our favorite spots. And yes, the only place where as you get further away from it they have coffee kiosks instead of comfort stations.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Level 10 user

Between travel, kids, work and the drive, I dont think I will make it down to any ISC events this time.
I just got back from a weekend in Memphis, where I volunteered for Repair Days at the Metals Museum there- 100 or so metalworkers, fixing anything that came in the door, it was a giant, fun, work party.

But if you have any extra time, you are certainly invited to come up here- I live about an hour and a half north of town, and have a pretty amusing setup for making large scale sculpture- 35 acres, a dozen buildings, and a pretty well equipped shop. And I live in one of the most beautiful places on earth, with amazing food growing and being harvested all around- its a great place to visit.

And if you are interested, I have work around town in Seattle- check my website for details, which is in my profile.
My latest, and quite controversial piece, is on Pine Street, in the 900 Block, right next to the Paramount Theater.

Other sculptures in Seattle I recommend-
The Noguchi in Volunteer park is wonderfully sited and you can see the Space Needle thru it.
The Sarah Sze at the Opera House at the Seattle Center is quite impressive, as is the outdoor lighting piece by Leni Schwendinger right next to it.
I quite like the big metal gates and crown by Jean Whitesavage and Nick Lyle down on 2nd and Jackson.
More Grandstanding, as Oscar calls it, but in front of my piece at Safeco Field is a very cool Jerry Tsutakawa bronze of an abstract baseball glove, and at the opposite corner of the stadium, visible from the street, a wonderful piece of hanging lighted sculpture by Linda Beaumont and Stuart Keeler and Michael Machnic made of thousands of translucent baseball bats.
Claudia Fitche's giant heads, across the street at the Mariners Football Stadium, are also well worth seeing.

None of these are more than a couple of miles from your hotel, and most are within walking distance.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM
scupture.net

Reis, thanks for your comment and suggestions.

I will try and get by to see your piece on Pine St. if I can before I leave.

I've attended that Repair Days event in Memphis myself a few years back. Like you say it is fun and well worth the trip - and a great way to support the Metals Museum.

I'm sorry that I have to leave today at noon, but such is life, I'll just have to try and visit Seattle again soon.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM
scupture.net

Reception at the Experience Music Project (EMP)

I've posted two more galleries of images:

http://russrubert.com/Sculpture.net/...onference.html

http://russrubert.com/Sculpture.net/...nce_Day_2.html

I have many other sculpture pictures and conference notes still to go through.

As this conference has been more focused on Sculpture Parks and Gardens we certainly have missed some of the Public Art around the City. But, it is hard to see and do everything you want especially in such an amazing city as Seattle for Public art.

Seattle truly is rich in public art. Without a doubt, the way sculpture has ben integrated into the fabric of the city has increased its livability and attractiveness for quality of life.

It seems a great place to live if you are an artist, and perhaps Reis or others could say more about that.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Level 10 user

Russ, those links don't seem to be working for me. Do i need to be a registered isc member? Thanks Sub
Old 10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanartists View Post
Russ, those links don't seem to be working for me. Do i need to be a registered isc member? Thanks Sub
I don't know why you're having trouble. They post for me, and I'm not an ISC member. I think Russ intended this to be part of the open Community.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Level 10 user

Great job on the photos! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Level 10 user

The links are all right. It is just that they takes longer to download, due perhaps to the graphics.

Russ: Thank for sharing these pictures. I note the high number of people attending. How many conference participants are there?

It is too bad the US is too far away for me. A flight to Seattle would probably take me 20 hours, with one transit stop.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Level 10 user

Its only 15 hours flight time from Singapore to Seattle.
I have done it several times.
Quickest is a short layover at Narita, in Tokyo.
Or stop and visit the family in Hong Kong.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:43 AM
scupture.net

I've made it back home - fortunately it was a direct flight to Kansas City so it was only about three hours for the 1500 miles as compared to about seven hours or so on other flights with connections.

This conference seemed better to me than many I've attended in the past. There seemed a sharp focus to most of the panels, and the discussions got quite intense at times. The off site events seem mostly well planned, but I can't speak to the ones I didn't attend.

I only had time to hear Dennis Oppenhein speak today as I had to get off to the airport, but that alone was worth the trip for me.

Overall, I was actually a bit surprised that I liked the conference as well as I did. I've attended a bunch of them in the past so I knew what to expect, and I as I do public art myself, the subject is familiar. But the energy, focus, and quality of discussions in this conference made the difference I think.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:47 AM
scupture.net

Oh about the new galleries, I keep expanding them and rebuilding them, and I think they are slow if I'm adding photos while someone is trying to access them. But they seem to be getting faster as I figure out the best file sizes to save various parts.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:04 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ries View Post
Its only 15 hours flight time from Singapore to Seattle.
I have done it several times.
Quickest is a short layover at Narita, in Tokyo.
Thanks. Apparently the world has gone even smaller.

Last edited by Merlion : 10-18-2007 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuBert View Post
Overall, I was actually a bit surprised that I liked the conference as well as I did. I've attended a bunch of them in the past so I knew what to expect,..
How big is the conference in term of no. of participants, roughly ? And how is it compared with previous years ?

Last edited by Merlion : 10-18-2007 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:10 AM
Level 10 user

Russ Thanks for posting photos!

My Safari browser must be too old.

Used Firefox and got all your pictures from the links.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 AM
scupture.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion View Post
How big is the conference in term of no. of participants, roughly ? And how is it compared with previous years ?
This was a smaller conference by design, I was told. There were about 300 participants and I think it was set to sell out at around 275 because of the size of the rooms we were able to use at the Seattle Art Museum.

This image shows the room about 10 minutes before a presentation, before any of the panelist had come to the stage.

By the time the program started the auditorium was completely full and occasionally the moderator had to ask people to clear the aisles because of fire regulations. Seats were hard to find and people soon learned it was best to get to presentations a bit early to secure a decent one.

Other ISC conferences have been much larger, sometimes too large in my opinion, with many more technical and logistic problems.

They are planning another somewhat larger conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan next year. I have a feeling it also will be an exceptional one, as compared to past conferences, and I plan to attend. I would like to even get a room for Sculpture Community users to meet in and use but we'll see if I find a way to swing that or not.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
scupture.net

Ned Rifkin Lost His Notes

Regina Hackett is the art critic for the Seattle P-I and she does a great blog Art To Go that caught my attention during my trip to Seattle because her review of Ned Rifkin - the under secretary for art at the Smithsonian and the keynote speaker at the Sculpture Parks and Gardens conference.

Check out her review here...
Old 10-21-2007, 10:34 AM
ISC Member

A great read.

Also, I saw the note on your blog and I'd be interested in being a part of a network of sculptors' blogs.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:09 PM
scupture.net

I want to post a video I took of walking through Serra's Wake sculpture in Olympic Sculpture Park and uploaded to YouTube.

It's true that walking among the massive components of his 300-ton sculpture, you might feel a little twinge of danger and awe as you do with other Serra pieces. But actually here I felt like I was walking along the side of a ship or was amongst a school of whales perhaps, and didn't worry that the steel could crush me.

As I walked along, sounds echoed around in unpredictable ways. I've read that Serra intended all shells to be the same - only inverted in various ways to make all the shapes and hourglass forms.

"The subject of this piece is not it's image and it's not the steel, it's you. Your experiencing walking through becomes the content." - Richard Serra

Because of that statement I decided it was important to try to show here in the video what it feels like to walk through the piece.

Let me know what you think.