Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Level 2 user

Re: Amsterdam statue to honour prostitutes

I find it hilarious, the fact that Merlion, that most level-headed sage amongst us, started this ruckus by the mere mention of this statue. Ha!

Let's face it, the "what is art?" issue has been and will probably be with us forever. It reminds me of when I was a young guy back in the 1960s and was working for a seventy year old man named Charlie. Charlie was on a perpetual rant about "these modern" singers, whom he claimed couldn't sing and only "spoke" the words (my god, just to think if he had lived long enough to hear rap!). I grew weary of his bitching and one day asked him who specifically was he referring to, assuming he probably meant Dylan or maybe Gil Scott Heron. Charlie looked at me wild eyed as if it was the stupidist question he'd ever heard, and replied, "Frank Sinatra!"
Old 03-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Level 10 user

Great story. The music of some of the world's best composers like Beethoven and Mahler were considered too wild and crazy when first heard. But I have no doubt that rap will not stand the test of time, except perhaps to be used as a form of torture in a different time.

GlennT
Old 03-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Level 10 user

Note: Beethoven's 9th was used as torture in "A Clock work Orange".

Now speaking of the test of time. It seems to me that prostitutes have endured. So why not a monument?

jOe~
Old 04-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Level 10 user

You have waited long for this. The statue is now unveiled. You can see it below.

Statue in honor of prostitutes unveiled

Amsterdamís Red Light District is now home to a bronze statue in honor of prostitutes around the world ó the first and only such monument in the world.

The statue was unveiled during the Red Light Districtís 2nd Annual Open Day.

Titled Belle, the monument depicts a woman who, feet apart and standing in a doorway at the top of small set of steps, looks self-assuredly into the world. It was created by artist Els Rijerse from ís-Graveland, Netherlands.

The bronze sculpture .... was designed at the initiative of Mariska Majoor, of the Prostitution Information Center. According to Majoor, herself a former prostitute, the statue is meant to show respect to the millions of people around the world who earn their money in prostitution.

The same square, bordered by pubs, coffee shops and bordellos, already sports a sculpture of a hand caressing a breast, one of several bronze and iron statues donated to the city of Amsterdam by an unknown artist.

Note the last paragraph. Should be interesting to see it.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Level 10 user

Gee, what a disappointing pity.

I am left to wonder
when the body of an artists works are non-figurative
why someone would request a figurative work of the artist

would you expect a librarian to make a good prostitute?
would you expect a mechanic to make a good pilot?
would you expect a sculptor to make a good politician?
would you expect a president to make a good carpenter?

ok
on rare occasions, the leap in professions and skills is doable
and a tossed coin can indeed land on it's side
Old 04-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Level 10 user

About the artist Els Rijerse, this link is to the sculpture page in her website. Some are figurative sculptures but they look small.

They're clearly not up to say Blake's standard. But frankly speaking, why would this Mariska Majoor care about high artistic standard.

Last edited by Merlion : 04-01-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
Statue in honor of prostitutes unveiled

Amsterdamís Red Light District is now home to a bronze statue in honor of prostitutes around the world ó the first and only such monument in the world.....

The same square, bordered by pubs, coffee shops and bordellos, already sports a sculpture of a hand caressing a breast, one of several bronze and iron statues donated to the city of Amsterdam by an unknown artist.

Note the last paragraph. Should be interesting to see it.
Here is a photo of this bronze hand caressing a breast. It seems to be placed as a part of a pavement.

Notice the small lock and chain, clearly not strong enough, perhaps just to attract additional interest.

What are these white spots? Chewing gum?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
... But frankly speaking, why would this Mariska Majoor care about high artistic standard.
Why indeed?
Why does anyone care about standards or quality?
Why should anyone care about standards and/or quality?
I only know that I respect those who do.

I would not think less of someone because she chose to be a prostitute.
I do think less of those who do not honor standards and/or quality in themselves and/or in others.

rod
p.s. thanks for the continuing posts Merlion
Old 04-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Level 10 user

This one would have been far better!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	legs.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	5744  
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Level 10 user

I think that one honors lust, not prostitutes, whereas the Mariska Majoor statue honors poor craftsmanship, not prostitutes.

In my mind, a statue that might do the job would be one depicting the scene of Jesus and Mary Magdelene, saying " Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Which would never being installed in secular Europe.

GlennT
Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Sculptor

Quote:
Here is a photo of this bronze hand caressing a breast. It seems to be placed as a part of a pavement.

Notice the small lock and chain, clearly not strong enough, perhaps just to attract additional interest.

What are these white spots? Chewing gum?
I like the Rijerse piece - I think it has good form and is very expressive of the concept. On this small "breast and hand" piece, I'd say the white spots probably are gravel or something similar. They look solid to me. The key and chain simply may have been left as a joke. Wonder how this small piece, clearly part of a sidewalk, is fixed in place? Probably protrusions on the back embedded in conctret.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
This one would have been far better!
This one if left outdoors would not last too long without being vandalised.

Artistically it would be better if it is just two legs without the lingerie.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Level 3 user

I don't think there's anything wrong with prostitution if it's entered into voluntarily ( the UK has a major problem with sex slavery ), or with a statue to honour them in Amsterdam, it's crap statue though and doesn't really do anything to honour or defend the profession. Something that showed a female form in a position of power or superiority might have been more appropriate, or something erotic but not overtly sexual - that one's just an unattractive woman propping up a door frame.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Level 10 user

Allen Jones would have been the best artist for this job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jones.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	5754  
Old 04-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
Allen Jones would have been the best artist for this job.
That's ridicule not honor evaldart
there is a difference

start with the premise that; it is a whore's goal to be an object of sexual desire for men
honor that goal
granted...some men prefer men, some prefer little boys, some prefer prepubescent girls.........
most of these probably won't enjoy a tumble with a prostitute...

then
extrapolate from your own taste
for me, a well muscled body with perky breasts, wide hips, sturdy dancers legs, and a well rounded ass---then a gentle face with a ready smile, and a general softening of the whole with a feminine layer of subcutaneous fat. Add a seeming eagerness for copulation.

for an example;
look to the tantric sculptures at Khajarahu
Old 04-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Level 10 user

Allen Jones often expressed, through the use of some fetishist imagery (mostly high boots and heels), an objectification of the fairer sex. Prostitutes seem to offer themselves as paid objects, and their clientele the payers for an object. Though earning a living is earning a living, maybe being "honored" is not a priority for them. Maybe they are not proud of their vocation (not that they are or should be ashamed. To some people a job is just a job).
I have a feeling the monument is for the tourists, something that will enhance the city's reputation as an edgy or bohemian destination. And advertise to the world the availbility of sex for hire...to keep em comin'.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Sculptor

Of course it's for tourism. And by the by, to broadcast the Dutch view of individual liberty.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptor
would you expect a librarian to make a good prostitute?
would you expect a mechanic to make a good pilot?
would you expect a sculptor to make a good politician?
would you expect a president to make a good carpenter?
would you expect an actor to make a good president?
would you expect a son of a president to make a good idiot?
;-) haha
Old 04-17-2007, 03:45 AM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie
On this small "breast and hand" piece, I'd say the white spots probably are gravel or something similar. They look solid to me. The key and chain simply may have been left as a joke. Wonder how this small piece, clearly part of a sidewalk, is fixed in place? Probably protrusions on the back embedded in conctret.
The spots are petals coming down from tree's above. Picture must have been taken in spring/summer.

This piece is embedded in the pavement, on a sidewalk of a mostly-pedestrian street, 2 meters from the "Old church" (Oude Kerk) wall, Near Wijde Kerksteeg street, in front of the Old Church Coffee Shop.

Rough Coordinates:
52.22'26.51" North
4.53'51.77 East
Old 04-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
would you expect an actor to make a good president? would you expect a son of a president to make a good idiot?
;-) haha
This needed to be repeated.
jOe~
Old 04-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~
This needed to be repeated.
jOe~
The cartoon that comes to mind;

philpraxis and jOe sitting in the back of Mrs. Hennesey's third grade classroom.

philpraxis: Hey jOe, lookit! ( sticks his tongue out at teacher whose back is turned )
jOe: Haha! ( sticks his tonue out at teacher whose back is turned )
Old 04-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Level 10 user

This cartoon comes to mind: Glenn, after presenting the teacher with a shiny red polished apple, says to her, "Did you know what jOe~ and philpraxis did yesterday when your back was turned?"

teacher: "No, please tell me."

Glenn: "They stuck their tongues out at you!"

teacher: "Oh Glenn, you really are such a good obedient boy. I know you would never mock or question authority. You set such a good example for your comrades. If only they knew like you that our leaders are in place because they are the most perfect, honest and God fearing people our beloved party has elected to rule the masses. If every one were more like our President, the world would be such a better place."

Glenn: (saluting his teacher and gazing at her with fawning admiration) "Shall we pray for the souls of the non-believers, and for those who dare question the wisdom, honesty, opinions and integrity of our leaders, for they are all such honorable people."
Old 04-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Level 10 user

Man, did you ever hit the halo around the head with this one.

Lou
Old 04-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Level 10 user

TLouis:

Your continuos and undisquised contempt for me on this and other threads seems to limit your thinking skills to name-calling. Along with jOe, you failed to see the issue I addressed, albeit with a slightly different approach due to the tedium of trying to use reason where it is not welcome.

You assume, because I take a thought out, principled stand on issues, that I have blind support for the individuals who may for the moment represent in part my "side" of an issue.

What I addressed on my post was not whether or not I support our president. I was addressing the immature manner in which, on a post having nothing to do with American Presidents, a Frenchman made an offensive comment disrespectful of that office, and an American who seems obssessed with hatred for George Bush then chimed in with support for the comment. The emotional maturity required for that type of name calling reminded me of 3rd grade.

I happen to like some things about Bush, and am not happy with a bunch of other things about his leadership. I can lay out my causes and reasons for support of some ideas and disgust with the handling of others. But all the the incessant bashing and name calling and disrespect for the office, the willingness to allow any negative statement to compound the hatred no matter whether it has merit or not, the willingness to accept the worst possible view and to consider ideas and people you don't agree with as having evil motives and not allow for the possibility of there being a mixed bag of right and wrong approaches taken in an honest attempt to do what is right, gets quite tiresome after a while.

if you think approaching these issues with an open mind searching for truth is fawning, I don't know what to tell you because you are not prepared to listen.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Level 10 user

Well shucks Glenn. I thought you were just trying to have some fun. Sounds like you're having a bad day. I'm not going to argue with you about politics, art or religion. That would be pointless. I could point you to some interesting reading if you're interested. I will mention one book I'm currently reading by John Dean (of Watergate fame and White House legal counsel to Nixon)... "Conservatives Without Conscience" . Much of the book has to do with blind loyalty to authority and the disastrous consequences for the country, its traditions and foundations. I'm not accusing you of not having a conscience. Not gonna say anymore.
peace, jOe~