Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Teacher reprimanded

Wars have not become more scarce, the U.N is for the most part impotent and often igores regions of the world, most of our leaders are no wiser. I like Buddhists, they are just not fun to party with(LOL).

jOe~
Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
If I were to loss faith in mankind, I think I'll probably become a Buddhist.
HUH WUT??????
i'm awake now

is it your opinion that buddhist have no faith in mankind?
seems odd to me....

someone once said
"if I was dissapointed, 'twas because I expected too much"
that being said

faith in mankind----
I've screwed up a lot in my too short and too long life and
when i was lost, strangers came to my aide
when i ran out of gas, strangers picked me up and carried me to get fuel, and carried me back
when i was hungry, strangers fed me
when i had too much, strangers broke in and removed some of it
when i got too trusting, strangers cheated me

all in all
'taint been a bad ride

rod
oh, yeh
i almost forgot
when ceremony was lost precedent became prominant
when precedent was lost....
(sure wish i could remember the rest)
Old 09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Teacher suspended by logic

I haven't lost faith in people, there are good people everywhere, but I do think human intelligence is vastly overrated.

I can agree that people often fear what they don't understand, but the generalizations and stereotypes presented here I don't accept,
because there are good people everywhere.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Level 10 user

Let me clarify a bit. I said I lost "faith in mankind", as in our species ability to do the right thing, by which I mean in terms of wars and fighting and doing the right thing to each other and for each other. I also talked about the enormous difficulties people have in trying to change their" values and philosophies". Add these together and I get a loss of faith in terms of the "big picture". On an individual basis there are many, many unrecognized "saints" (no, I'm not Catholic) doing their best to make the world a better place. Sorry I wasn't clear.

jOe~
Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Level 6 user

I just wonder if the school hopes to save money by eliminating an experienced and expensive teacher?

And why is no one criticising the museum?

In the British Museum there is what is called the museum secretum where they have drawers full of the penises which the Victorians hacked off the Greek and Roman statuary which they had looted.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Level 6 user

PS and I would be more worried about children NOT ever seeing nudity, they might grow up with very mistaken ideas. I recall reading research about terminology used for genitals which found that children who had no word for referring to their genitals believed they just did not exist.

So if you prevent any display of nudity ever do you prevent all of the issues arising from genitalia, procreation, relationships etc?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
If I were to lose faith in mankind, I think I'll probably become a Buddhist.
I think I should clarify my brief comment. For what it is worth, it is a quick knee-jerk reacting comment.

I have not lost faith in mankind, nor am I a Buddhist. But from what I can see of the mess of a world around me now, if I were to lose faith in mankind, I would be reluctant to turn to Christianity or to Islam to find an answer. Buddhism is very tolerant, goes for inner peace, and is not militant. These seem to be sufficient for me.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Level 3 user

" I recall reading research about terminology used for genitals which found that children who had no word for referring to their genitals believed they just did not exist."

I just took a child protection training course which stated that children without names for genitalia were not only more likely to be abused, they had much more difficulty in making parents aware of the abuse.

"I like Buddhists, they are just not fun to party with(LOL)."

Hav'nt you ever heard of a happy buddha?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Level 10 user

Boy, it was gettin' hot in here!
I was raised Catholic, but I've mostly recovered from the experience. I think religion is a handy framework on which to lean. It gives hope and comfort to people who don't know how to weld their own frame, or like the one they saw at Walmart. While that sounds flip and snarky, understand I said mostly recovered.
Quote:
I think that those who truly understand that life has a spiritual purpose and reason for being have a lot more joy and hope than those who think their short span on earth is all there is. I'm not offended by your attitude, just sad that you are missing what I experience

Why are you sad that I savor every moment I'm alive?
Should there be more, I'll either burn in hell for not "toeing the line", or I'll be recognized as someone who has tried to live with thought, compassion and tolerance, because we're all here together.

I'd love to meet that teacher who knew that life is more than lesson plans and genuflecting.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Level 10 user

Current score:

Religion antagonists: 6 Religion dogmatists: 0

Game called off on account of darkness.

Spiritually inclined sculptors in the stands leave the game early to avoid intellectual rush hour congestion.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT

Dark like our souls, Glenn? I think the true score is more like 6-1.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT
Current score:

Spiritually inclined sculptors in the stands leave the game early to avoid intellectual rush hour congestion.
Funny! But Wow! What a nailbomb of a thread! Can I recommend you read some Don Cupitt, the Cambridge (England) theologian. He is an existentialist Buddhist Christian and he doesn’t believe in God either (so he’s on the religious left then!). His most famous book: ‘The Sea of Faith’, serialised by the BBC. One of his last books: ‘After God’. For this forum, the most significant thing about his later work is the emphasis he puts on art replacing organised religion/religious dogma as the seat of spiritual activity in the modern world. I wrote an article in the 1980s for a journal of his on Richard Long as an example of art as spirituality-without-dogma. In another thread, Thatch refers to a “mystical feeling” he gets from sculpting, and many threads refer to what seems to me to be something like this when we sculpt. Now, the naked figure that offended the school – Cupitt is all about broadening our religious experience, not narrowing it. Dogma sets parameters, as do some social restrictions that narrow the experience of children. These kids, given the chance, may actually see in the naked figure the carver’s act of joy, even if the local authorities cannot. The child Michelangelo was already carving reliefs, and must have had extensive experience of naked statuary very early - the ‘Battle of the Centaurs’, carved when he was a youth, is not only all nude, but also arguably rather sensual. So, how many Michelangelo’s do we kill off as we educate our kids, then?

Last edited by Cantab : 10-06-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Level 10 user

Re: whack his pee pee!

He is an existentialist Buddhist Christian and he doesn’t believe in God either...
Isn't that a total contradiction flopping about like a fish out of water? I'm surprised by all the religious commentary lurking around in this thread as it was the actions of a school board that incited this verbal riot and not a church. Interesting enough the administrators who took action against the teacher have made claims that the field trip had nothing to do with it, but have yet to make public any of the problems that led to the teacher's contract not being renewed.

Everything I've read sounds more like a personality conflict between administrative staff and the art teacher.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Level 2 user

I've been a high school art teacher for 22 years. This whole brou-ha-ha sounds to me like a school board and administration with an agenda. I've seen school administrators or boards use any number of reasons to get rid of teachers. The reasons given by administrators for any teacher dismissal aren't necessarily their REAL motives for doing so.

In small school districts like where I teach the bottom line is always the almighty dollar. My annual budget for art has been steadily reduced by $500 over the last 3 years. I try to explain to my principal that the cost of art supplies goes up about 5 to 7% per year, but I just hear that his hands are tied.

Anyway, I don't know if the reason for trying to get rid of a 28 yr. teacher in good standing is necessarily related to the dollars that could be saved by hiring a rookie teacher, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, most school districts will cave into any sort of public pressure in order to avoid possible lawsuits...
Old 10-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Teacher let go.

Try this at your local university.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Level 10 user

That was a Reuters news report published by CNN. It shows China has changed a lot in recent years.

For trying it, Fused, you'd have to ask Iowasculptor.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright
..... Teacher reprimanded after student sees nude art on museum trip
Associated Press

FRISCO — School board members have voted to not renew the contract of a veteran art teacher who was reprimanded after one of her fifth-grade students saw a nude sculpture during a school trip to a museum. .....
Dwight noticed this story and started a thread on it at end Sept.

I now notice even Donald Trump finds it of sufficient interest to specially mention it in his blog a few days ago, see below. He wrote in his capacity as Chairman of Donald Trump University.

Naked Statues = Teacher in Trouble

by Donald J. Trump

An art teacher in Dallas got in huge trouble for taking her students on a field trip.

The veteran elementary school teacher took a group of 89 fifth-graders to the Dallas Museum of Art where they saw classical works of art including paintings, sculptures and statues. The problem was, however, some of them happened to be naked.

Apparently, at least one kid went home and told his or her parents about the nudity and the parents went crazy and called the school. Now teacher Sydney McGee probably won't have her contract renewed by the school board.

I'm not sure what these parents expected their children would see when they went to an art museum. It's not like they saw copies of Playboy magazine. These were great works of art done in good taste. .....
Old 12-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Level 10 user

This teacher in Frisco TX was not reprimanded, she was essentially FIRED by not renewing her contract. The school board claimed that the field trip to the Dallas Museum of Art had nothing to do with their actions and that they had other reasons --which they did not make public-- for letting her go. I live thirty miles from Frisco and there has been no reasons published in the press or news here to justify why this teacher was sacked.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fused
This teacher in Frisco TX was not reprimanded, she was essentially FIRED by not renewing her contract. ...
Yes, this is clear from the contents of all the articles quoted. The word 'reprimanded' in the thread title is misleadingly wrong. But as we know, the problem is that the wordings in thread titles, once submitted are frozen and cannot be corrected.

I think when Dwight started the thread, he took the first two words of the Associated Press news article title. And it was this AP article that started the mistake, even though the article's content is clearly about sacking of the teacher.

Last edited by Merlion : 12-02-2006 at 07:03 PM.