Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2003, 12:58 PM
scupture.net

Project finished after 9 years!

Dear Randy and Russ,

Thank you both for sending me your newsletters which I find not only very interesting but useful. It keeps me in touch with what is going on.

I just thought I would let you know that a project I have been involved with for 9 years in Bristol is now finished and the images, unfortunately taken in the rain with very new planting, are on my web site. I was going to Attach them - but thought that three images may take a while for you to down load - and the web site is very, very quick. It really needs those three images - really needs more as it is so big. Hope it interests you.

I won the competition in 1994 - the brief was to use 150,000 cu metres of spoil to be created by making the last link of the Avon Ring Road in Bristol. The starting point was the industrial chain of the industry that used to be in the area together with a split coal wheel - a relic of mining - in a nearby village. The project was planned to be completed two to three years later!

There were problems initially with road protestors which took nearly 3 years to resolve and then the contractors went into liquidation and new ones had to be appointed. This all took 9 years! Unbelievable.

The Chain and the Wheel 1994-2003, 600m x 70m x 15m used 120,000 tonnes of spoil and incorporated a fooitpath on the top and a cycle path at the base. The footpath - in an "S" shape is echoed and intersected with a line of yellow broom and gorse and in the centres of the "Chains" there are seven wild flower beds - each 50m in length which initially, until the birds rearrange things, be single colour beds - purple/pink in he middle, then reds/oranges, then yellows and then whites.

The "Wheel" a cone shaped element ,is separate at one end , but linked by a path and has spokes of yellow gorse and broom with a viewing point on the top. There is a plaque which commemorates the hiding in some part of the whole sculpture , of a TIme Capsule in 2000- filled with small clay objects, poems and small drawings by children in a local school. This is to be opened in 2025

Three images are on my web site on www.lornagreen.com Scroll down and you will see an aerial view taken in November 2001 and the two images of the "chains" - one from the road and the other showing part of the circular viewing areas between each chain at the top. They have two designed benches on each of the seven circles, silver birches, and juniper - which will all have to grow over time! They are a bit small at the moment because of possible windburn. The images look damp - I am awaiting new photos showing the trees in leaf and the chains in sunshine. But because of the almost two month drought here that was the last real rain at the end of February - the growth will be slow.

Hope all is well with you.
Best wishes, Lorna
_
Old 05-02-2003, 04:58 AM

url correction

russ

just noticed that the url you posted also includes a period....

http://www.lornagreen.com

there... that should do it

Old 05-02-2003, 09:10 AM
scupture.net

Thanks, and I've edited the original post to correct it also.

I remember meeting Lorna at a conference and going out to eat with a small group of people. That was some time ago, and I'm sure she didn't expect her piece to take nine years to finish. She is a lovely and personable artist.

Sculpture projects can take on a life of their own and get delayed by so many factors. I've got one I've been working on about five years myself, and it may take another five years.