Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Level 1 user

How do you feel about????

Having any of your work reproduced by someone else???

First of all...I AM NOT TRYING TO STIR TROUBLE!!

I am a hobby carver/sculptor, mostly wood...am venturing into stone.
I do NOT derive my living by selling any of my completed projects/works.

I realize that most folks here are on the other end of the scale, making a living with your hands and your heart and I need to know how folks feel about having your work/concepts (I don't like to use the word "COPY") reproduced.
I am vested in copyright/derivative works, etc.... so I know at least some of the ins and outs....

Is there anybody here that would be just a little flattered if someone asked permission to reproduce a work of theirs?? Please don't think I am here trolling for the specific purpose of pirating, quite the opposite...this is just a great place to see art/artists/ideas/concepts that I will probably not have access to any other way...BUT I see works/pieces that make me go "WOW"...and over my head is this cartoon bubble that reads something like "I wonder if I could ever do something like that"
For the record...I ask permission, or I don't go there. And, I have asked permission and been told no, and that is where it ends....and I honor that request. The most usual response when I ask??? "Nobody ever asked before..."

And I guess the real reason I am asking?? I am not sure how I truly feel about it. I don't consider myself an artist, I really cannot imagine having any of my work in the MoMA or standing proudly in front of a building named after somebody important...I just know how the process of "creation" makes me feel and for me...I am okay with that feeling....

Okay folks....would really like to hear from you on this...
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Level 10 user

Re: How do you feel about????

Well, coming to terms with how one actually feels towards their own "creation" (or creating, or being creative, or acting upon a creative impulse or acting creatively, etc.) is where the entirety of worth lies in the human consciousness. But to simply seek to make a "copy" is setting the bar very low; as that will only involve some minor interpretation and some crafting. Might as well get in the mix, do the real work of thinking originally - and then enter into the toil as that special thought directs you through the necessary physicalities that bridge it into "reality". You get better at being "you" (improved self-awareness) and the thought gets better having been extruded - by the push of your will - into a (sometimes) thrilling thing.

Eventually seeing ones artifacts in all the "approved" places (museums, collections and galleries) will only help out with the primal urgencies of food, shelter, rest and amusement. Those things do not determine whether or not one has made gains regarding his/her entanglement with the significance of physical form as it is rectified-to-the-substantial (as opposed to remaining only in the lazy haze of whim).

AND, it wont be a pertinent relationship at all, should you meet that lazy dreamer, with many hazy whims who might seem delighted to let you "copy" everything idea he has - to save him the work. Nothing can come of that but "business"; and business is not art. Business only addresses those aforementioned primal urgencies - and that can be accomplished in a billion too-common-for-art ways.

Good ideas show themselves DURING the execution, not before.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Level 9 user

evaldart has given a surprisingly intelligent answer. It certainly is ridiculous to copy art because art is the "answer" to a highly disorganized process (or perhaps organized) but a process between one artist and a pile of mud, wire and other crap. It is the one letter answer to a mile-long mad-scientist equation. X= (bla, bla,bla)

Of course people who copy would like the end result without all the work (mental or physical). They are missing the point entirely. Although the tearing-your-hair-out- in-the-dark type thinking is unseen, it can be felt in most good art.

After a while the artist stops putting so much into it, and becomes a copier of himself as well. Then it is time to get another hobbyhorse.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Level 8 user

It would depend upon how far I believed I was along in the process of exploring a design concept.
Were I in the middle? No.
Were I near the end, beginning to ponder other directions, explorations? Yes, by all means. Sell off specific rights to reproduction and move on. If somebody is happy with yesterday's news, so be it.

I'm about at the end of a design concept in wood carving. I can feel it. I'd sell specific copyrights tomorrow. Somebody wants to make bookmarks with my wood-carved designs, let's discuss it. Six more months and I will be well and truly done with what I've been thinking over since 1965.
I got what I wanted and am quite looking forward to closing that chapter.