Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Level 2 user

Smile Something Different.

Hi guys ! pics to follow.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Level 2 user

Re: Something Different.

I am planning something a little different.Something that I haven't seen anywhere before(at least not in the modeling world),something that has been bugging me for a long time and now maybe at age 70 I will finally finish.
About 15 years ago I modeled a full size Peregrine Falcon as a decorative art piece,lost interest and put it aside.There it has sat all this time in my studio just looking at me but I have never been able to bring myself to finish it ,until now.
I can't draw worth a damn ( but I never went to art school either), so I can't draw you a picture of what I have in mind.
What it will be is a culmination of all that I have learned over a lifetime of doing this stuff.
I want to incorporate a 3D, 1/10th scale model airplane(Bleriot) and a full scale bird sculpture together into a storytelling composition ,that will only be temporarily brought together to make a 2D piece.The 2D pics will be shot from different angles using different lighting techniques and that will be the finished art piece.Using all the unlimited tools available to me today to modify pics this should be lots of fun.When I am finished with the bird and the model they will be either destroyed or given away as props.Much like in the movies the only thing left will be the film itself,capturing but a moment in time.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Level 2 user

Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Level 2 user

There are many good woodcarving books available out there for info on how to reach this stage of bird carving.Unfortunately I wasn't into taking a lot of pics back in those days so I didn't keep a record of my methodology.
This bird has been sitting around my shop for about 15 years now waiting to be finished but I am glad that I waited till now to pick it up again as I plan to finished it in a whole different way.
Until now my bird carvings were finished in the traditional manner.Shape the feathers,texture them,woodburn on the feather quills and barbs,and paint.
This piece will be more like a classical sculpture and finished using a false bronzing technique which I have never tried before.Should be fun!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Level 2 user

The first step will be to remove all the crud that has built up on the surface over the years and then finally seal the wood from any further deterioration.
Tupelo wood is very stable and other than the surface stuff nothing has moved in all those years and it has been subject to a lot of humidity and temperature changes in that time.
For a sealer I use a mix 2/3 lacquer and 1/3 lacquer thinner applied with a brush to each feather as I finish it.A lot of the rough sanding has already been done on this piece so now it is a matter of bringing the wood up to a polished finish.I use spray alcohol to raise the wood grain where necessary.
A sanding stik with extra fine grit,600 sand paper and finally crocus cloth makes for a nice finish.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Level 2 user

Old 06-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Level 2 user

When carving out your feathers do all the shaping on the topside first.Do not undercut these feathers unless you plan to harden them with very thin super glue as they can be easily broken when handling.
This group of feathers has been fluffed out to represent the muscle of the birds foot underneath.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Level 2 user

Old 06-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Level 2 user

Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Level 2 user

Still polishing up the individual feathers.Now I remember why I just couldn't do another bird sculpture,too many damn feathers and the shaping is only half of it.To finish it in the traditional manner would involve burning in the quills and barbs and only then could the decorative painting begin.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Level 2 user

Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Level 2 user

The pic of the painted bird is the last traditional bird carving I did,the Goshawk.
After shaping the feathers and sanding them to a polished finish,I then burned in the individual quills and feather barbs,sealed it using spray lacquer and then painted it with acrylics.

The Peregrine on the other hand will be finished in a antique bronze.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Level 2 user

Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Level 2 user

This is a bronzed clay sculpture by a friend of mine and somewhat like the finish that I want on the bird.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Level 2 user

Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 PM

John,

Thanks for all of the in-progress images! Usually, we only get to see images of the final, "polished" treatment of people's work posted, so this is a nice introduction to your work.
Hopefully, you wont let your next piece sit for another 15 years.

Keep us posted.