Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Level 10 user

What's in Paris?

Going to Paris next June. Besides the Louvre, Eiffel tower, Napolean's tomb, Versaille and other biggies, what's good to go see. (Sculptures and paintings). Anyone have any favorite modern art museums/ shows? Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Level 3 user

Re: What's in Paris?

I was thankful to get invited to hang a show in Paris in April. I got to know
the city fairly well in the 10 days I was there. I would highly recommend the George Pompidou Center which is around a 15 minute walk NE from the Louvre. At the Pompidou there is an outdoor building that is a replica of Constantine Brancusi's studio and has much of his work in this space. There are a few of his pieces in the museum as well. I couldn't recommend this more highly. I am forgetting the name of the Impressionist Museum, and I didn't get a chance to visit, but heard great things about it. A great view is from the Montmartre area and specifically the Basilique du Sacre Coeur which is North West of the center of Paris inside the loop. Beyond the Church to the North West, there is an area where artists will sketch tourists for money. It is quaint and hilly with a few tourist galleries and food shops. There are quite a few gallery areas around Paris, but just south of the Seine River Across the Ports de Arts bridge down Rue de Sein and Rue de Mazarine. I particularly liked a gallery called Galerie Got where these two streets merge. Hope this helps!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Level 10 user

When I was there I knew I had only 3 days. Two of them were spent in the Louvre. As far as I can tell, THAT is where 66.6% of Paris time should be spent. The place blew me away.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:53 PM
ISC Member

The Louvre was great, but not doable in a single day, obviously. I would recommend going early on a weekday if you want a good view of their major works (Mona Lisa, Venus). I've been recommended Musée d'Orsay, but didn't make it there last time (maybe next time!).

Not sure of any smaller galleries. We popped into a few that we walked past, but none really stick out in my head. Let me know if you find any that I should visit next time!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:28 PM
ISC Member

Rodin museum is very nice. I personally love the catacombs. They are very interesting and something you don't see often, if ever (http://www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/english.htm).

I also love just walking all over the city and exploring the "regular" streets.

Whatever you do, you will have a great time. Too much to see and do.

Ari.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Level 10 user

I got bored with all that old stuff at the Louvre.
I liked the Mesopotamian stuff they had there, but I have little tolerance for the naked baby jesus stuff...

Anyway- some of my favorites-

As mentioned, the Pompidou is great for contemporary art, and the Brancusi section is really inspiring.

There is actually something at the Louvre for everyone- I like the Jeu de Palme, and then nearby the Eiffel tower there is the new Musee du Quai Branly which has the collections of the old Musee Afrique and Oceanie- which is kinda too bad, as the old Art Deco museum of african and Oceanic art was a beautiful little museum, a bit out of the way- but I hear the new Branly is very modern and slick.

The Dapper has a new African show opening in November-
http://www.dapper.com.fr/exposition-prochaine.php

The Musee de artes et metiers is one of my favorites, science, technology and design. http://www.arts-et-metiers.net/

I really like Jean Tinguely, so I find the Cyclops a must see. Its about an hour out of town, in a forest owned by the DeMenils, and it is a 3 story tall sculpture that includes, inside it, a small theater, and Tinguely's apartment, with his overalls still hanging on a hook.
http://www.parisvoice.com/index.php?...d=32&Itemid=32

Here is a website with 100 or so different museums listed, with addresses and contact info and hours.
http://www.museums-of-paris.com/them...emporary%20art

I really liked the museum of fashion and textiles, and the museum of cinema, which are both located just across from the Eiffel tower.
Me, I cant go to any city without visiting all the arms and armor musems, or the transportation museums- its all metal, and I dont believe in that "fine art" stuff- its all stuff that humans make, and its all equally interesting to me.

the catacombs are indeed very cool- literally millions of skulls and bones. dont go, however, if you have claustrophobia, as the stairs are very tight, and its a long way down.

There is also a very cool boat tour of the old sewers of Paris.

Another thing that is pretty great in Paris are the flea markets-
http://www.parisperfect.com/paris-flea-markets.php

the main one is huge, and there is everything from African guys selling stuff on a blanket, to antique stalls with things for $100,000.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 PM
ISC Member

Paris?, Paris? There's things to see there? Mon dieux!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Level 10 user

Speaking of France...some never published photos of Lasceaux cave. Picasso was among the early visitors in the 40's and on seeing the paintings: the pigments, the use of the stone's contours and etching in certain areas etc., reportedly said "My God...they invented everthing!"
http://www.life.com/image/first/in-g...re-unpublished
Old 09-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks for the ideas and especially Ries with a boatload of options and links.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Level 10 user

Leaving in a few weeks. Thanks again for all the great ideas. Working on pulling off a piece for the front of the Louvre near the glass pyramid.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanartists View Post
Leaving in a few weeks. Thanks again for all the great ideas. Working on pulling off a piece for the front of the Louvre near the glass pyramid.
I am also visiting Paris first week in July, looking forward to visit the Rodin museum. So much to do so little time....for me its a give and take between what the family want to see and what I want to see. Just hope that the volcano in Iceland does not interfere with our plans.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dries View Post
I am also visiting Paris first week in July, looking forward to visit the Rodin museum. So much to do so little time....for me its a give and take between what the family want to see and what I want to see. Just hope that the volcano in Iceland does not interfere with our plans.
Yeah hope she mellows out. I'll be there too with the Whole Family,wife, Parents, brother, sister in law, their kids.

Luckily my Bro is a pro photographer so if i can pull off a piece he should be able to get some good shots off. But only in Paris for a few days. Rest of the time out in the countyside. Have fun.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:42 PM
ISC Professional Member

Rodin
D'Orsay
But the best of all is the Musée de l'Orangerie

http://www.musee-orangerie.fr

Seriously do not miss it.
Blake
Old 05-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Rodin
D'Orsay
But the best of all is the Musée de l'Orangerie

Seriously do not miss it.
Blake
Thanks Blake I will make a plan to visit the museum.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanartists View Post
Have fun.
You too