Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Level 10 user

Louise Bourgeois, RIP

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...lptor-is-dead/
Old 05-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Louise Bourgeois, RIP

Damn. I'm going to miss her; her work, her personality, her being.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Level 10 user

I guess we knew it was coming. Still What a loss. NYC will be lesser with her gone. I liked her very much, and she reminded me of my french grandmother. They were both great. Bummer!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 PM
ISC Member

GREAT LADY, the art world as well as I will miss her provocative work and her wonderful personality.
A great loss!!!!!!!!
Jeff
Old 06-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Level 10 user

What exactly have we lost, in terms of the work? 'Personality'? Do we need more of that?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
What exactly have we lost, in terms of the work?
A unique vision.

Quote:
'Personality'? Do we need more of that?
Hell yeah! You want cookie cutter people? What you Brits call "proper"?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Level 10 user

When the incident occurs that all us "living" folk suddenly depart from the consciousness of an individual, we still have the artifacts. We can still look into those and see that mind at work, those hands at work; that unique presence is still accessible and resounding. This greater detachment that we all regret is indeed OUR problem, not theirs. We only fear and regret those worst-case scenarios that we imagine (the cause of great distractions). It might well be the case that arms, legs, internal organs and gray matter are exactly what has been holding us back all along. Louise has moved-on from us, WE might be saddened...but she is definitely NOT.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Level 10 user

Arguably the most notable (formerly) living sculptor of the past decade and perhaps longer. She was an outstanding positive exemplar for hard work, handiwork, women in the male obsessed art world and the meaningful contributions any individual can make regardless of age.

I mourn only the loss of potential sculptures unrealized - all the work she never had time to make. This evening I tip my beer (a Heineken - nothing better available right now) to LB.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Level 10 user

She was one of the heroines of feminism. Louise Bourgeois began showing in the 1940's. Her work would eventually become what is labeled as feminist. She dealt with personal psychological matters using "alternative" materials before it was fashionable or common. She was a game changer.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:23 AM
ISC Member

hey portoro, what do we need, more shallow YBA's? They couldn't shine Louise's shoes! And you know it!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Level 10 user

Was working at Tate Modern when she had her towers erected there. Found them quite stunning, and enjoyed discussing them with people. But what is her contribution to modern art? Don't want to rile anyone here (by asking an art history question), but where does she 'fit' in the modern/postmodern scene?

YBAs? I think we've had enough of them now!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I-Do_-I-Undo-and-I-R_19419t.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	12371  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Level 10 user

"modern/post-modern scene". Good god, if I ever got grouped with THAT lot I'd know I had failed horribly. Spiteful eggheads will put a poor sap in there, though, if it serves their thesis. Dirty bastards.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
But what is her contribution to modern art? Don't want to rile anyone here (by asking an art history question), but where does she 'fit' in the modern/postmodern scene?
Your question is impertinent. Elementary school teachers use the famous person approach, so-and-so was the "father" of... or try to rate people in one sentence easily digestible answers. I've read a bit of art history, currently digesting Irving Sandler's 600 page Art of The Post Modern Era. Alas there are no ratings or "mothers" or "fathers" listed. Sandler does mention the challenge of writing history as its being "created". I think its safe to say she was somebody's daughter. Triple pun here if you know her work. If you don't know her work, all answers are useless opinions and you'll never be able to guess where she "fits" in.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Level 10 user

thanks for that, Joe. Although context can be important, I think the context of her body of work is more important than where she fits in. Her audacity is the context in the larger picture for me.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
She was an outstanding positive exemplar for hard work, handiwork, women in the male obsessed art world and the meaningful contributions any individual can make regardless of age.
Yup. Great lady, great artist, she doesn't "fit" any category. Now who will fill her shoes as "the" female living sculptor???
Old 06-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
Yup. Great lady, great artist, she doesn't "fit" any category. Now who will fill her shoes as "the" female living sculptor???
Really great question, but probably worthy of its own thread. It might seem a tad rude for us to start listing the who the next LB will be in this RIP one.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Level 10 user

The peace she rests in may be like the peace she brought to the world with her art.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Level 10 user

I was at the Brooklyn Museum on the 21 May where I admired her hands . Every time I go to NY I always find my way to those hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Louise Bourgeois Hands.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	12374  
Old 06-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
When the incident occurs that all us "living" folk suddenly depart from the consciousness of an individual, we still have the artifacts. We can still look into those and see that mind at work, those hands at work; that unique presence is still accessible and resounding. This greater detachment that we all regret is indeed OUR problem, not theirs. We only fear and regret those worst-case scenarios that we imagine (the cause of great distractions). It might well be the case that arms, legs, internal organs and gray matter are exactly what has been holding us back all along. Louise has moved-on from us, WE might be saddened...but she is definitely NOT.
THE MOST POSITIVE TRIBUTE.

Robert
Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portoro View Post
Was working at Tate Modern when she had her towers erected there. Found them quite stunning, and enjoyed discussing them with people. But what is her contribution to modern art? Don't want to rile anyone here (by asking an art history question), but where does she 'fit' in the modern/postmodern scene?

YBAs? I think we've had enough of them now!!
Hey Cantab, In America we don't let kings and queens rule us. We don't give a crap about which historical blue blood line anyone comes from or belongs in. She can stay out of the boxes others may try to jamb her in. Who cares! We are free thinkers, free doers and have minds and actions of our own. That is why she is great.

4th of July is the best holiday on earth.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Level 10 user

Wow! History questions always throw you lot!

Evaldart - 'dirty bastards'? A sad comment, and it really must say more more about you than the artists who are associated with these categories, or the historians who try to make sense of our artistic heritage by grouping our predecessors in this way. (Oh, and by the way, many artists themselves will identify with aspects of these categories). Prominent artists have substantial careers and they pursue them in an artistic context or in the artistic AND intellectual environments they matured in. Pursuing the things that CONNECT artists is a valuable exercise. And my question was a simple one - anyone out there with any idea how Bourgeois relates to her artistic context? (If you just don't know, that's OK. No need to get shitty about it).

Joe - 'impertinent'? Are you from a previous generation by any chance? I though I was about as old as it gets on this forum, but 'impertinent'??

Kings and queens? Hey, my understanding of the UK's tolerance of a castrated royal family is that it doesn't want the alternative - a President. We're all democracies now, man, (and all equally bad at it). As for America's freedom from the Brit's obsession with history, I studied at an American university in the past. Guess what I studied? Yes, American history. 'Fraid you've got that problem too....

As for 'free thinkers' - I come from the Beatles generation. Don't preach to me about free thinking! I would add, though, that free thinkers may just turn out to be DISORGANISED thinkers. Shaping up isn't just what sculptors do to the stone - any good work only results from discipline and method. Oh, and this idea that you're free? Speak to any postmodernist on that....

Last edited by Portoro : 06-05-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
any good work only results from discipline and method. ..
Yeah for a craftsman

An Artist goes much further than that. And may or may not need discipline or method. That's where freedom kicks in.

A new method will hit your history books. The same old ones won't.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:16 AM
Level 10 user

Suburban - I tend to feel that there is a discipline in the ideas and use of the imagination too. Even the desire to extend or add something new (or offer a new perspective on something) depends on the artists having an overview of what has gone before. Art, like no other medium, is a little obsessed with its avant guarde, and part of that is the built-in desire to be ORIGINAL, and to be 'imaginative'. But all new advances always reference other work and springboard from those contexts. Otherwise what you call 'free thinking' could be more like 'free fall'.

Given Bourgeois' international reputation, my interest here would be to find out what SHE sprinboards from, or what context she works out of.

Personality? Not enough, I think. The body of great art that we have behind us in the western tradition isn't just about character, it also has to be about the contributions we make to that tradition. Otherwise we all end up lonely artists in our studios, ironically divorced from art by our private personal obsession with it....
Old 06-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Level 10 user

I suppose that the relevant word here is "springboard". The creative impulse draws from a well of experience. These internal recollections and resources (and how we might feel towards them - "tone") serve slave-like to pure applied creativity. So the subjects an artist is passionate about often are the enablers of ideas and permit ideas to enter the dimension of reality. Books, novels, histories, sciences and cultural garnishings are only a spec of the possibilities when it comes to "springboards". A bowl of fruit, the mailman, your dog, your rage aginst tyranny, your wishfulness for freedom, your favorite horn player, your obsession with meatless hot-dogs ALL CAN PERMIT EQUAL SIGNIFICANCE in the hands of the properly driven artist. We neednt draw from art history (though we often do because it happens to be one of the things we have studied deeply).

As far as organizing, compartmentalizing, sorting, arranging and placing an individual's body of work amongst other individuals; well, THAT is someone else's hobby, a thinkers hobby, a writers hobby. Let them do it til they're blue in the face. The problem is that they wont be using that little studious art history obsession to advance themselves, they wont use THAT as a springboard. They wont have the nerve to create and advance their own extreme uniqueness. Nope, like most folks, they'll just let it die and not do a thing about it. An egg full of potent conversation for other like-minded folk - and an egg naive and primitive in the areas of the development of personal consciousness - which ends up being the only thing worth developing (the only reason for Art).

I'm not a HUGE Louise fan (as all my artfarts friends have suddenly become) but I have always recognized in her an extreme curiosity in the possibilities of creativity. She was gloriously unbound in the things she made and the ideas she explored, not pandering to her success or "art history". As art stars go, she's as pure as they come,; never just duplicating herself or obviously accomodating her accolades.

But she worried a bit too much about the costume; a small matter, surely undertaken for the benefit of her small-clapping lookers.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Given Bourgeois' international reputation, my interest here would be to find out what SHE sprinboards from, or what context she works out of.
It isn't clear what answer you are looking for - a wiki search will give you her specs and a summery of her activities/contributions in brief.

Art historically she was working toward and through Modernism, but her body of work is broad enough and her career spans enough time that she can be discussed/compared/contextualized with a whole host of movements including Surrealism, Feminist Art, Conceptualism and, of course, Post-Modernism.

Is that what you needed to know?