Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2005, 12:14 PM

Re: The Gates - Christo and Jeanne-Claude

Since 1,000,000 of them will have been given out by the end of the installation they're not exactly rare. Unfortunately now we see that there are at least 40 people out there who are opportunistic, which is sad because the Christos have consistently emphasized generosity.
Yesterday it was rather cold there, yet many thousands of people were out walking, talking, taking pictures and speaking to people they didn't know.Yet there was a sort of serenity. The wind makes the fabric sway much like the waves rolling up on a beach and has an equivalent calming effect as does the sound of the swishing ripstop nylon. The sunlight changes the color depending on whether it is behind or in front of the fabric, but it glows either way. Sometimes the shadows of branches snake across the fabric. I've now been there with a software engineer, two sculptors, a puppeteer and a storyteller. Each sees it differently: billowing skirts, theater curtains, a river, a parade, a passageway. Yesterday two people (artists? students?) brought down two big red balls and were organizing a game with passersby of trying the kick the balls through these giant saffron "wickets". Elsewhere, someone had set up a little "art" piece involving vomit and an exhibit sign indicating dimensions, media, etc. near the Metropoitan end of the park.
And of course some people try to cash in on the idea by using EBay. I wouldn't want to live their lives. I prefer mine. The ability to enjoy and benefit from something without capitalizing on it.
JAZ
Old 02-21-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araich
Thanks JAZ

Has anyone seen a pic that could be posted which shows the whole thing?
Araich,
I've just found a link to a satellite photo showing the entire Central Park (843 acres). www.centralpark.org The link is at the top of the home page. When you get to the image, click on it for a closer view. The big black and white area is a half frozen reservoir. The biggest building, just south of the reservoir, is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. You can also see several baseball diamonds (sandy colored). I laughed when I saw that because when we were looking for Laurie (art student/ Gates worker) she said she was near the baseball diamond. I asked some guys where it was and they said they didn't think there was one in the park.
You may wonder why there are so many gaps in the line of gates. Anywhere where there were low branches no gates were installed. (There are 26,000 trees in the park according to the Concervancy website). Also, there are two natural areas where there are none at all - North Woods and The Ramble inthe South.
Seeing this image reinforces the fact that even very, very big art is dwarfed by the landscape. Its size can only be impressive in relation to humans.
Anyway, enjoy.
JAZ
Old 02-22-2005, 12:36 AM
scupture.net

Nice sat photo find JAZ. I'm back home after spending five days in NY - or more like 3 1/2 considering travel time. My flight home was cancelled because of bad weather in Chicago and we had to route through Cincinnati. Unfortunately, that caused a $80 cab ride from LaGuardia to Newark and a very long day.

Looking back on the experience I'll have to say it was worth it for me to go and see The Gates. It's sort of a once in a lifetime event to see sculpture affecting people on such a large scale and be there to experience it first hand.

Those that don't much like The Gates don't seem to get very far into the park. You might hear a few negative comments around the edges but the vast majority are surprisingly positive. One lady who was an obvious New Yorker was talking with her husband about where to go - and he was like "this is the way out" and she said "lets walk along the lake - I've never seen it", "that's because, you never come out here" he said. "Yes, but I want to see more of the Park, it is so wonderful, look at the wind whipping the fabric."

People were seeing their Park again for the first time and I was seeing through their eyes.

People talk about art along the paths and feel they are experiencing something unique and wonderful.

Obscure parts of the park that may see a couple of hundred visitors on a good day might see 15,000 people by 10 am.

From the higher points a glance will tell you the wind movements for as far as the eye can see. It's amazing to simply watch the wind gusts activate the gates in various ways - real time weather markers.

This is a piece that the viewer will miss the real impact of if viewed in a quick way.

It demands time and walking.. and weather changes.. and people.. and more time.. and very tired feet.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:24 PM

JAZ, you are the best, I didn't realise the park was quiet so big.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Level 6 user

A good quality about The Gates is that it is a sensitive reaction to the most important supporting actor in the whole story, which is Central Park itself. I noticed one beautiful view after another, and that is testimony to the quality of the setting. All the Gates have to do is follow the paths to achieve success, which seems on the face of it too easy but I couldn’t imagine a more satisfying solution.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:33 AM
scupture.net

Hi all, I have put together a gallery of my photos of "The Gates" for anyone who is interested in looking at them.

So check out the gallery here: http://www.sculpture.net/images/The_Gates/index.html

and let me know what you think.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:21 AM

Russ,
I've just checked them all out and sent you my list of favorites via e-mail. I especially like the nighttime ones and you have some other shots I haven't seen before, like the one of the frayed edge of fabric where it had been rubbing against a branch. Uh oh. They were supposed to avoid all contact with the trees. I didn't see any of that. You have an eagle eye. I did see two whose hems had unravelled, or hadn't been sewn in the first place, but I guess two out of 7,500 isn't bad.
Another thing I saw while in the park is that someone had a telescope set up to show passersby a hawk's nest up on a penthouse balcony. It had garnered lots of attention when the nest first appeared and so the people who owned the penthouse had it removed. There was such an outcry that they were pressured into putting the nest back and the hawks returned. Then about a half hour later we saw one of the hawks sitting in a tree about twenty feet from the path. It certainly wasn't afraid of people. I guess it has street smarts.
Anyway, that was an added bonus.
Thanks for the pictures. They are gorgeous.
JAZ
Old 02-25-2005, 04:11 AM

You gotta love the 20D!

Anyway, those of you that know me would be familiar with my crazy marriage to the workbench, but some would also know that for half the year I try and make my return trip home via the Pacific Ocean, that right now is a gorgeous 22C (71F). But even fewer (if any) would know that the little forgotten bay that I swim at, 5 minutes from my studio, is Little Bay.

Never heard of it?

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/wc.html

"It's a small world after all..."
Old 02-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Level 2 user

I haven't made it to NYC and probably won't go for the show (too many other commitments). The concept sounds exciting and rare, but please, photographers, be aware that Christo is enforcing his copyrights! (He's even attempted to Trademark "The Gates".) According to his legal crew, only official Christo photos and images (including paintings) may be sold. You can take pix for your own use, but you can't sell 'em. Not sure about exhibiting- but be careful.

More info on my blog at www.morestonepilgrim.blogspot.com
Old 02-25-2005, 11:28 AM
scupture.net

They have a press trailer that has info for photographers and maps etc. A press pass is not required to take photos, and it seems everyone has a camera. I'm sure they would try to keep others from rip-off profiteering, but the world's media is certainly being encouraged to visit and take pictures.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:59 AM
ISC Member

I think Russ hit something when he touched on visitor reaction. Forget the sculpture as art for a moment. The gates lured people into following the paths up and down, around and about, even those that are ordinarily trod only by handened park buffs such as myself. All of them were gazing around intently to find the next, better, perspective, and all of them ended up precisely where Olmstead and Vaux wanted them to be from the beginning--completely immersed in the beauty and excitment of the exquisite [and totally artificial] landscape. All brought about, of course, by friends Christo and Jeanne-Claude, except to the extent that O & V were doing the same thing, somewhat earlier. Biomorph
Old 02-26-2005, 10:20 PM

Did you see the installation? did you help out with it? (or are you too young?)
It sounds like you have an enviable spot regardless of whether or not anyone has done any art there!

Strangely, I dont' feel drawn to Christo's projects that deal with rivers, rocks or trees, even though he always chooses ones on land that is privately owned. I think nature shouldn't be interfered with in those ways. I think he's better off sticking to wrapping buildings, bridges and walkways because they are man made to begin with - already artificial constructs, including Central Park, which has beautiful natural elements, but it is a controlled environment designed by Frederick Law Olmstead. It's a rectangle after all.

Your part of the world looks gorgeous and you are fortunate to be so close to the sea. And to be where it's warm enough to swim. At Plum Island, the nearest part of the ocean to where I live, the water is usually cold enough on a warm day in early summer to make your ankles kind of numb. A few hardy types swim at length, but there's no worry about overcrowding, that's for sure. And at other times of the year hypothermia sets in pretty fast. When we sea kayak I wear a wetsuit all summer. Australia sounds great. (Though I've heard you have saltwater crocs, too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araich
You gotta love the 20D!

Anyway, those of you that know me would be familiar with my crazy marriage to the workbench, but some would also know that for half the year I try and make my return trip home via the Pacific Ocean, that right now is a gorgeous 22C (71F). But even fewer (if any) would know that the little forgotten bay that I swim at, 5 minutes from my studio, is Little Bay.

Never heard of it?

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/wc.html

"It's a small world after all..."
Old 02-26-2005, 10:23 PM

Tapit123
The photos I posted were taken by my husband and are posted on this site for educational reasons. I wouldn't dream of capitalizing on anyone else's work. None of them are for sale or for reuse bay anyone who sees them.
JAZ
Old 02-27-2005, 04:54 PM

Huge project, impressive result! Walk through might be a trip to another planet.
I appreciated the most Russ pic's, and Jaz, thank you for all comments and sites references.
As you can see, Araich, north hemisphere people try to warm up and color their winter time with great energy!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:01 AM
ISC Member

Many thanks to Joyce and Russ for the running commentary and spectacular photos! The was truly a monumental project which I think captures the spirit of what art is all about. I managed to make it out for the last weekend when the park was getting a blanket of snow. One of my favorite experiences was to eavesdrop on converstions of the good, bad or otherwise commentary. A fantastic experience.

Ditto on the Tim Hawkinson.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:36 AM

...and here are the somerville gates :
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/19/ar...f079c6&ei=5070
Old 03-01-2005, 09:51 AM

EJB should get a distance prize for flying across the country to see it. Lucky you. Glad you felt it was worth the effort. New York City is worth the trip regardless.
Anne thanks for the link. The Crackers link is so fun. It's perfect.
The mention in the article of just how fast the word spread on the internet shows the power of cyberspace, and of humor.
Thanks.
JAZ
Old 03-01-2005, 03:43 PM
scupture.net

Well the Gates are coming down now I hear - does anyone know how that is progressing?

I spent several days shooting the Gates and have enjoyed viewing the many postings in this thread.

Thinking in terms of "Silhouette" (kind of a self-assignment) I wondered if anyone has a favorite from the photos following.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Level 10 user

The images you captured are really reeaaallly good. I like the first one
--freezing the flapping fabric a lot-- but they are all excellent.

Thankyou for the page of images and comments, which is also a treat
for those --like me-- who couldn't make the trek to NYC.

The NY Times has a nice set of panoramic images that you can scroll
to take in the view from many different vantage points in the park.

The Somerville Gates tribute is gone, but The Crackers remain.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:49 PM
ISC Member

Nice sticky snow Monday night, 7 inches and sticking to trees. Very picturesque for the gates, but few visitors. Mostly locals--can tell because most visitors seemed solo. Camera laden couples and groups largely gone. As of Wed evening all gates in middle latitude of the park [around the Met] still up, and I understand that there is a group of helpers on standby for work next week.

Gates take on differences with light, weather, time of day. Will be sorry to see them go, but the fact that they are temporary very much added to the impact. The main memory for me will be the festive processions winding around the park under the avenues of orange [saffron, well maybe].
Old 03-05-2005, 09:43 PM

In the New York Times people have commented on the color of The Gates. I love the fact that people, educated, sophisticated New Yorkers and others, are arguing about the color in a public art installation.
Paella, the classic Spanish rice dish, is in fact yellow, tinted by small amounts of the world's most expensive (as I've been told) spice. A few threads will color and flavor enough paella for a family.
From the Random House dictionary definition of saffron: "1. Also called vegetable gold. A crocus, crocus sativus, having showy purple flowers. 2. An orange-colored condiment consisting of its dried stigmas, used to color and flavor foods. 3. Also saffron yellow, yellow-orange."
In the image next to the samples of fabric are saffron threads from Spain, the very type used in paella.
My daughter went to Syracuse University. Their school color is orange. Real orange, not that paler color that Christo loves. (Their football mascot is an orange, as in the fruit. Imagine the guy who has the honor of cavorting around on the sidelines of a football game dressed as an orange. No offense, just an observation.)
Saffron is a beautiful, changing color, especially billowing in the wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saffron.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1446  
Old 03-18-2005, 08:47 AM
Level 10 user

On scale and thought pretty cool,but 20 million dollars?I guess what is buggin me is calling these "arches" gates.I guess with NY being bleek in the winter,seeing orange fabric blow in the wind fired everybody up.I am glad to here they laid down the green for it,I am stoked us tax payers did not have to foot the bill.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:38 AM
ISC Member

Another interesting take on the gates...

http://web.gc.cuny.edu/ashp/jbrown/ldw120.htm

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 03-18-2005, 01:14 PM

Oddist, I saw another cartoon in the paper that unfortunately I didn't cut out. It showed a kid running out of a bathroom, hand above his head, gripping the toilet paper streaming out behind him. (Presumably he could have run it for 23 miles?) The caption was: Christo at 3 years old.

Iron Ant, think of it this way: two artists decide to pay hundreds of people during an economic slump (remind you of the WPA projects?), give anyone who wants it a free source of entertainment, boost tourism in NYC, and get thousands of people arguing about art. It was also a test - could they get people to think only about color -and only one color at that - for at least a little while (rather than about vice, disappointments, politics, violence, or any of the usual things that make life difficult.) Maybe that's lame. Maybe we're supposed to be thinking about vice, disappointments, politics, violence, or any of the usual things that make life difficult. The artists who hatched this plan also got a whole lot of sluggish Americans (and Europeans) off their couches and into the winter sun on days they definintely wouldn't have gotten off their butts otherwise.
I don't think it's a problem that some people can't stand the idea. My friend Joe Landry, one of the people I took to see it, said it was "reminiscent of a Home Depot track meet". He doesn't think I'm a brainless nitwit because I thoroughly enjoyed it and I don't think he's a brainless nitwit because he couldn't stand it.
It did everything that art is supposed to do. And on top of that, it was fun to experience.
On the other hand, Christos' other works may have been interesting, but I doubt that I would have responded as well to the wrapped buildings and so on. Many of his works enclose. Hanging fabric over a river? (His next planned work) That fabric would be suspended between the water and the sky. No, the idea of enclosing or enwrapping is not so interesting to me as the way The Gates (as in gateways) opened space up and drew people into experienceing space, walking and seeing their park in new ways.
Okay, I should shut up and get back to work.