Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Level 10 user

Re: FIX THE GODDAMN ECONOMY !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
He constantly professes to be loving and compassionate toward all mankind, but some how...
Reallllly? Even though you use the modifier "constantly", I wonder if you could provide even 3 examples of such a claim of mine among over 3,000 posts. Is this more projection on your part, i.e., fabricating an untruth in order to paint a bad picture of someone?

The fact is, I am loving and compassionate to those who earn my love and compassion, to many who have only incidentaly brushed my path, and somewhere between l"ovingly compassionate" and "prepared to endure" those who have failed to do so. Being pretty much unaware of the rest of "mankind", I don't have a standard response of compassion or not. Many discoveries about the doings of mankind don't encourage unbridled love and compassion on my part, and I definitely have not evolved to being loving and compassionate to evil-doers, an all too large portion of "mankind".

When I make a response such as I did to ladyfingers, you would be suprised at how much love and compassion lays beneath a searing rebuke such as that. ( Maybe I would be, too!) My intent is not so much to be critical as to use humor, irony, and a scathingly brilliant amount of perception to do what you have referred to as a "noggin thumpin'" in the hopes that the person may do better. By doing better, in this case, the hope was that a statement like "the ugliness of this site (the sculpture forum) offends" would appear as inconsistent with posting a work that turns a room into a depiction of dripping, bleeding scars. Did that not strike one as ironic and worthy of note? A pause to reflect and ask, "What the heck am I talking about"?

To give the complete story, you should know that I went out of my way to defend ladyfingers when she posted other work (that did not involve gore) and it was being denigrated simply for being college work. My reactions and comments are on a case by case basis on the merit of what is presented, not based on abstract notions like trying to be compassionate.

Last edited by GlennT : 12-21-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I am loving and compassionate to those who earn my love and compassion
Bet I'm near the top of your love list. No body on this forum has paid you as much attention as I have. And I've given you countless opportunities to pontificate on matters near and dear to your heart. I admit I was rather stunned that in a recent post you even considered showering with me. What brought that up? Oh well. It is apparent you do like it when I treat you rough. You'd better behave Glenn. Or else.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:57 PM
ISC Member

Hi, the reason I have stopped posting as much as I used to is that there is more and more of this inane non sculptural related bullshit going on here. I mean, look at this thread, WE ALL KNOW THE ECONOMY SUCKS AND TALKING ABOUT OR ARGUING AMONGST OURSELVES IS POINTLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why do I need this bullshit?
most of you are bright creative people and I've enjoyed many conversations ABOUT SCULPTURE with almost everyone here BUT this thread just points up what has happened to this site.
when these threads are about non sculptural subjects or go off topic, I'm gone!
have a nice evening,
Jeff
Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Level 10 user

Jeff, I've always loved seeing your work. Ignore the posts that are B.S. which I know is hard to do because it always creeps in. Can't be avoided. Someone says something dumb, no matter how dumb... guess what, he probably has supporters. If it's difficult to filter out the non sense, then only visit to post new work. That way you only have to deal with the non sense (that will occur) within your thread. Some are serious here, some are dilettantes, and some are just comedians. And some fit all three.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Level 10 user

Gee, the approaching holidays must have stressed everyone out!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Level 10 user

No Rika he is correct there is too much crap on this forum. Why can none of you high minded fools see this?
As a side note I see nothing wrong with the economy. Any where. I have shipped # sculptures and been flown to the US to do another one in the last 2 months. I have also shipped to Korea and the Netherlands in the last 5 months. Could be that if your work is not selling its crap.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Level 10 user

Never mind the economy, or else go to China, it hasn`t any had crisis while more countries have! But the seemingly wrongly posted thread deviated to why some people post, or don`t. I`ve been in other art related forums, well I still check in every once in a while to see if things change a bit for the better. Most are especific, rigid and monotenous, so after a while They get so darn boring. It`s like such art dooers cannot be creative also in other regards. Or if you dont constantly say nice things about even shity work then you are considered an outsider.
No challege, no growth. The reason I frequent this forum is because is challenging no matter if posts are put down or even ignored at times. Over heated arguments are varied in conten and after some serious cat fighting things return to normality, even if it is to take a breath, and back. Creativity, anger, happiness, sharing, learning, fun and more. Never boring...
Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias View Post
No Rika he is correct there is too much crap on this forum. Why can none of you high minded fools see this?
As a side note I see nothing wrong with the economy. Any where. I have shipped # sculptures and been flown to the US to do another one in the last 2 months. I have also shipped to Korea and the Netherlands in the last 5 months. Could be that if your work is not selling its crap.
MANY of us (myself included) here have been selling their work for a living for many, many years, T, it is simply a prefferred way to function financially. There are those that would argue, rightfully, that because it sells it MUST be crap. It a bigger task (than just doing "business") for the artist to be aware of the different kinds of things he produces and what it was that motivated those projects. All our own work is NOT created equal. There are things undertaken in the name of artistic furtherence and there are things undertaken to continue to "play in the game". Some crap, some not. Its important to know which is which.

Last edited by evaldart : 12-22-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
..when these threads are about non sculptural subjects or go off topic, I'm gone!
Discussing sculpture and art can certainly encompass MUCH more than the ins and outs of object making.

The forum reflects the fluid interests of a community. Every topic, while not always relevant to my interests, is valid.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Level 10 user

Its true, a compositional sensibility that has been awakened by the constant considering of form, mass, contour, line and a personal connection to the matter that gets manipulated under such considerings affects one's perception...affects the way an individual experiences the world....affects reality. So in this respect, if you're getting the most from you're Art, you are enrichening "experience". And experience contains everything that gets any attention. A better-suited experience-er will address every single encounter in a "better" way. This is the potential of sculpture.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Level 10 user

It IS funny that the bickery threads or the beer threads get the most action! How many times have you been anxious to see how the fray is unfolding. I've been here a long time and I give and take what is comfortable. I think it all revolves in HOW things are said,not what. Negative humor is never funny. Especially when one is exposing themselves to comments. I like to see friendly banter. But some like to goat and bait others that they know will take it wrong. And some (thank goodness, he's gone,) are just plain combative, shit stirrers!

Life and getting along together means heeding feelings. Empathy. All critical comment, said correctly, with a bit of positive, goes a much longer way to actually doing some good. I know some of you like a good name slinging fight but I don't see the need for it.

I am not soft. When I see injustice I will stand up. I just can't abide unnecessary turmoil. Scout
Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Level 10 user

E do you honestly think the there is any validity to the notion that if some one purchases art it is no good? This seems totally absurd to me and like a complete cop out.
I agree that if you are producing purely to sell then that may be questioned. Some times a pile of garbage is just a pile of garbage. Further I think that any one who thinks that sold art cant be good art must be having too much fun working at macdonalds. Or they live with mommy and daddy.
Next point is that this post was about fixing the economy! that related to sculpture must suggest to you that theses are artists who are looking to sell. So my point still stands maybe if your work doesnt sell ist no good.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Level 10 user

Point is T, that there are countless committed, driven, shockingly advanced artists working day in and day out who do not sell. The buying public is not well-versed in the considering of the upper-levels of aesthetics. So those artists not selling simply have a "job"...like everyone else, big deal. I am merely noting that when you mix your "jobs" and your Art (like many of us choose to do to remain in the studio as much as possible) it is VERY imoprtant to know that there is a big difference between those things. I'm sure you wouldnt call your railing and gate work your "art". No, the art is made for different reasons, not simply to sell or satisfy someone elses need. But if it does sell (your finest of the fine), along with the jobs, well thats dandy...but it cannot matter to your Art whether or not anyone buys it or calls your work "crap"...it CAN matter to the "jobs" though; because everyone must turn a buck. Thats all. And its no surprise at all that an artist can thrive in the midst of awful econimies (or suffer during good ones) because the thing being provided is outside of the scope of traditional commerce. I would imagine that artists have a great advantage during tough times...already having much experience with a more mercenary approach to "business".

Last edited by evaldart : 12-23-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
I have work that everyone loves and still have it after 10 years. I have work that no one likes and someone comes in and buys it. I had one piece sell 3 months ago that is 26 years old. There is no formula. You either have to find the right person or the right person finds you and more often, it's you finding them. Unless of course you like giving 50 - 60% to a gallery and they all haven't dropped you because they broke ADA law for you're bipolar.

You can rationalize having other jobs or making functional ware all you want but the fact is, you aint making art and you aint a full time artist if you do! Period!

A big turd in the toilet with this economy is no one has any money. The banks, govt., and military has it all. The rich aint doleling it out. They're either saving or investing. If you aint a blue chip artist, they ain't lookin at ya! The upper middle class where lots of sales of unknown to moderately known artists used to exist, have tightened their belts.

I wish I had all the information so I could really form a good opinion but for now, what I see, is the U.S. has been blackmailed by it's huge debt to fight in Afganistan for India to protect India from it's arch rival Pakistan should Pakistan fall. And China has blackmailed us to fight in Iraq so China can get the oil. Just look to see who is getting all the oil contracts in Iraq. So basically, our economy is running by the U.S. being hired guns.

I say it's time for massive quick withdrawl of both Iraq and Afganistan, heavily secure our borders. Drill fast and hard for Alaskan and offshore oil, quickly build back a streamlined manufacturing base, start a "Manhatten Project" for a new energy, curtail ethanol and keep the food (corn), inhibit the Petronas twin towers that replaced the Trade Towers and stop world molecular travel of oil, build a new set of towers in the US to transfer molecular co2 to the moon creating a plant atmosphere, partner with Russia when saying no to China and India, and having all of this enforced in a Global weather pact that collects taxes.

And now, reponses from the idiots (see below)
Here`s the first idiot
I read ya, politicians of all sorts capitalize from wars and other games, meanwhile the people and poor soldiers at the war fronts loose their lives, or live like loosers. Remember this O: "It`s easy enough to smile when everything goes nice and smooth like a song, but the man worthwhile is the one who can smile when everything goes dead wrong" Smile !
Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Level 9 user

no i'm the first idiot
i'm the one who wasted time writing
Old 12-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Level 10 user

Oooooh, conspiracy.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Level 9 user