Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Level 10 user

Re: wise crack

Hendrix' guitar work on the Star Spangled Banner, the noise fills, could easily be considered intentional "cracks"...they certainly were not bridges back to the melody.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanartists View Post
I'm all for cracks and imperfection.
I'm all for cracks and imperfections too, but there's no real rule of thumb that I can find. Sometimes they add character to an already nice piece, a little hairline fracture or dramatic split brings a certain tension in stone, the "uhoh, be careful" kind. Then again, a small nick, chip or even a scratch can sometimes kill them.

The magnitude of this thing is pretty fetching, large stuff always draws us in and makes us take notice. I still skip over cracks on the sidewalk sometimes, a little humor, a little fun or maybe just saying hi to that 7 year old little kid we all remember.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:07 AM
ISC Member

Ian over at the Coxsoft Art Blog had some coverage on the crack too:

http://coxsoft.blogspot.com/2007/10/doriss-crack.html
http://coxsoft.blogspot.com/2007/10/...ck-plunge.html
Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Hendrix' guitar work on the Star Spangled Banner, the noise fills, could easily be considered intentional "cracks"...they certainly were not bridges back to the melody.
Eval Comon.... Cracks? No way.... Those masterfully sculpted "noise fills" are the most beautifully sounds you could ever see.

If you have to label them i would call them something like "Asides" and in my head he pulls them all magically back to the theme of america and what we are all about.

Jimi's creation is the most visually stunning song ever performed.
It is flawless.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanartists View Post
Jimi's creation is the most visually stunning song ever performed.
It is flawless.
Then you probably have never heard the Pittsburg Steeler's fight song sung to the tune of " Pennsylvannia Polka "!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Level 10 user

:\......

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that crack kills.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Those masterfully sculpted "noise fills" are the most beautifully sounds you could ever see.
Gotta agree with suburbanartists. Being able to see them helps.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Level 10 user

Sorry you guys miunserstood. "noise fills" are far more desireable than melody for me, I was commending Hendrix...The stuff I am fond of within the Heavy Metal genre would likely scare the pants off a satanist. Chaos, feedback, lightning-picking, crunch, doom, gloom, gore, sludge...all in front of a post-apocalyptic drumbeat is something I enjoy with my morning coffee. Hendrix opened those doors with the "cracks" of unexpected randomness in his guitar work. They all owe it to him (and maybe Tony Iommi).
Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Level 10 user

Neat how music has evolved. When I was kid "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf was as bad as it got. Had to listen to it before every xcountry race and track meet. Morning coffee sounds better every year.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
The stuff I am fond of within the Heavy Metal genre would likely scare the pants off a satanist. Chaos, feedback, lightning-picking, crunch, doom, gloom, gore, sludge...all in front of a post-apocalyptic drumbeat.
I also really liked Kurt Kobane's droning over and over. And add a line like "I want to eat your cancer" and you've got the perfect feel good music for me.

Last edited by suburbanartists : 10-16-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Level 10 user

Back to the crack. Its a crack in what someone called "the grand procession of life".
Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Level 10 user

This long crack on the floor of the Tate Modern Gallery hall is in the news again. It is not easy to have a good solution to this problem.

Crowds are suffering for their art at the Tate Modern

Nov 26, 2007. The Times

Art rarely carries a public health warning even when the likes of Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin try to push the boundaries of taste.

However, the casualties have been mounting up at Tate Modern in London, where 15 people were hurt viewing Shibboleth 2007in the first four weeks after its opening.

Beginning as a crack, Shibboleth widens and deepens as it snakes across the gallery’s Turbine Hall, until in some places it is large enough for a toddler to fall into. ....

Four of the 15 accidents, some of which resulted in minor injuries, have been reported to the Health and Safety Executive. The museum has considered using Perspex glass to cover Shibboleth 2007, .... runs the full 167 metres (548 feet) of the cavernous hall. ...

Dennis Ahern, the Tate’s head of safety and security, told colleagues in an internal e-mail before the opening of the exhibit, that the primary risks associated with it were “obvious and quite simple” – the unwary could trip and fall “with the potential for significant leg injury”.

He added: “With Shibboleth this hazard differs from equitable ones in that physical protection measures which would normally be applied to a gap of this nature are not deemed appropriate due to its artistic nature.” ....

According to the same correspondence, Tate Modern is facing four other legal claims arising from other incidents, mostly related to the giant slides that last year occupied the hall.

Record numbers flocked to try out the five corkscrewing slides, the biggest of which was 55˝ metres (182ft) long and had a drop of 27 metres. ...

A Tate spokesperson said .... there were no plans to barrier off or cover the work.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Level 10 user

i call it natural selection, the toddler was never meant to be?.... there was a childrens book i read as a kid, arthur ransoms 'we never meant to go to sea', a childrens sailing trip was given permission by telegram from a distant father 'if not duffers wont drown'.