Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Level 10 user

Re: $98 million

Hoo boy! There's a lot of art theory/psychobabble goin' on here for a piece that looks like what would happen if you left Paris Hilton alone with a skull, glue, and diamonds for a few hours!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:51 AM

Phil - thanks for the introduction to Allan Kaprow's theoretical work. I was a great fan of the 'happening', and what it meant for art in the 1960s. I'll have to get hold of the article you mention (no free web version as far as I can see). Talking 1960s - Yoko Ono was on a radio programme here in England recently, and spoke of a piece she had on show that involved a square white block, into which visitors could bang a nail with a hammer that hung from the square block. (Apparently John Lennon walked in before the opening of the exhibition, asked if he could knock in a nail. Ono said 'No', but on reflection added that he could do so if he paid 5 shillings. Lennon, catching on, said that if he knocked in an imaginary nail, he could then pay an imaginary five shillings). Wonderful stuff, and all beyond craftsmanship!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:54 AM
ISC Member

Hi,
"Diamonds on a skull? You could think ANYTHING and the work wouldn't contradict it."
Cantab said that, and that about sums it up for me also.
There doesn't seem to be any focus or reason for being, it just is, and that's not art.
Some could say it operates on many levels of meaning, I think it operates on ANY level of meaning. It's all over the place therefore it has NO meaning.
Never a big Hirst fan, I become less so with each body of work that comes out of his studio. He seems to be floundering around, and I feel sorry for him. He seems to have been pushed out into this art stardom, without the commensurate skills, both mental and physical to live up to the hype. He is at that point where he doesn't really know what to do next, there's no flow to his career (if you want to call it that), no meaning/every meaning. Death seems to be the one common denominator but nothings added, just updated and modernized.
As someone else said, " you wouldn't know the work was by him unless someone told you." That being the case, he becomes everyman, just another wretched, banal, grotesque human being with nothing worthwhile to say, NOT an artistic genius!
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 06-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Level 8 user

Hehe.... then you have two wonderful explanation of why art is still being asked for definitions ;-)

Cantab: Kaprow's work is definitely interesting, yes.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Level 1 user

Please check out my equally ironic reaction to hirst's "for the love of god"
http://picserver.nl/v/R80XXM575ANU
Old 06-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Level 10 user

Ha! thats some dandy, anti neo post-modernist piece of hyper-contemporary realism you got there. I hope you even paid someone minimum wage to make it for you to keep things conceptually relative. I like it. What else do you do?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin2007
Please check out my equally ironic reaction to hirst's "for the love of god"
http://picserver.nl/v/R80XXM575ANU
Ahaha... excellent! That's some nice critique )

It's weird about all these vanitas pieces : the venice biennale is full of these this year 8)
Old 06-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Sculptor

Martin2007 - Good comment.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Level 10 user

Lot's of diamond encrusted platinum artifacts out there ( people love them and demand more ). Dispite the abundance of objects to select from, the choices seem few in terms of content. I'd have to say that of all the diamond/platinum pieces that I have seen, this skull stands out the most. Hopefully this is the start of a new trend, my internal inventory of platinum/diamond objects seems so myopic, anything that diverges from the norm feels fresh and exciting. If this piece could only light a fire under the butts of all those platinum/diamond artist working today and in the future......that would be great. I look forward to all the great diamond/platinum pieces that are sure to follow. Any one else have an image of an outstanding platinum/diamond art object they can share ? Please no images of rings, necklaces, broaches or earrings.......or other elements.......just diamond/platinum art. If anyone can post an image as good as this skull, I'll discribe a most satisfying beer for you in the art lounge.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Level 10 user

Well Aaron, I've secretly been working on a diamond encrusted platnumn self-portrait, life sized. Almost finished except fot the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull belt buckle that I always wear. Damned if I didn't come up short just a little bit of diamonds and platnum...can I borrow a little of yours. My wife thinks the billion and a half I spent on materials is outta hand.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Level 10 user

Are you kidding. Part with my precious platnum and diamonds ( NEVER ! ), I have grand aspirations to be the greatest P&D artist ever. I know your secret work in progress will be great and a much needed addition to this often neglected and overlooked field of artistic expression but I have my own unique and deeply meaningful work to do. But I hear you and share your pain, it's tough working day in and day out for and ounce here and a carat there. And people think we drink cheap beer because we like it............
Old 06-14-2007, 03:41 AM

Sorry, Aaron (Post 34) – you mean there’s more diamond art out there? Like, MODERN art? Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Certain materials have been used to great effect in some traditional cultural settings – gold in medieval religious imagery and in the Egyptian decorative tradition, as with Tutankhamen. Also shone tin in the Greek orthodox tradition. So I can see a role for many precious/semi-precious materials in art/craftwork. But, please, NO MORE modern art like Hirst's. Modern art was born out of the democratic, individualistic traditions of the West. Diamonds are a symbol of elitism, of sheer affluence and the denial of ordinary experience. I’ll join you in the lounge, though, and share my description of puke with you.

As for your becoming the best diamond artist in the world - is this some kind of secret psychotic cult or something? Is there actually anybody else doing this?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantab

Diamonds are a symbol of elitism, of sheer affluence and the denial of ordinary experience.

There sure have been a heck of a lot of extraordinary, affluent elitist women getting married every year these past several centuries. They keep wearing that symbol...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Level 10 user

In another thread recently, we were talking about the inherent integrity of bronze- that it has a "soul" to it as a material that people instinctively respond to.

I think a strong arguement could be made for diamonds as well in this respect. Certainly, fashion and perceived value affect people when they desire diamonds- but I would argue that the diamond itself, as a material, has a certain instinctual attraction to human beings.
I know that I have been wearing a diamond in my left ear for 20 years or so now, and I dont do it to show off my affluence, or elitisim- I simply really like it as an object, and, if objects can have power on their own, diamonds certainly do.

Valid criticisms can be made of the Hirst piece for its form, for its exaggerated cost, and mostly for what it says about the art market that it could be created at all, and that it could be taken so seriously by some, and so scandalize others- but these are all discussions of the artwork in context, not of the materials themselves.
In that respect, Hirst has been successful in some of his goals- the artwork has created a big stir, and raised a lot of questions, and the selection of the materials, and the subsequent piggybacking on all the associations we have with those materials, has proven to be a saavy choice on his part.

Not exactly diamonds, but instead mock diamonds, Swarovski Crystals, have been used lately by another very interesting artist working in the UK, Tord Boontje, whose work I have been following.
In many ways he is the anti-Damien Hirst- he does not inhabit the high end social scene of Saatchi's and the Tate Modern- instead, he is trained as an industrial designer, and works much more quietly, making technical tour de forces that are also, I think, quite beautiful.

http://www.tordboontje.com/

He has one of those wacky Flash websites, where you cant link to a particular page- but if you go to "projects" then to "lighting" then to "ice branch" you will see what I think is a very beautiful use of "diamonds".

And then, there is this guy- Moritz Waldemeyer- he defies categorisation, which is one of my favorite things- is he an artist, an engineer, or what?

http://www.waldemeyer.com/

His electronicly controlled crystal lighting sculptures, which use LED's behind thousands of crystals to show images, are stunning, and different from anything I have ever seen before. Everything he does is technically amazing, unique, and quite attractive, in the way crows like me are always drawn to shiny things.

His collaborative piece with Ron Arad, "Miss Haze" is pretty cool.

And those video dresses- well, it could be a cheezy parlor trick in lesser hands, but he really makes it work. He also did some motorised dresses with designer Chalayan last year that were just, well, indescribable- they moved, and changed, on their own, as the models wore them.

A medium, be it bronze, diamonds, or elephant poop, is just that- a medium. Its what the artist chooses to do with it that makes it or breaks it.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Level 10 user

Ries:

Thanks for the Waldemeyer link. A good example of an artistic mind in a nutty professor's body, yielding some cool results.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Level 1 user

Smile Re: $98 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
Ha! thats some dandy, anti neo post-modernist piece of hyper-contemporary realism you got there. I hope you even paid someone minimum wage to make it for you to keep things conceptually relative. I like it. What else do you do?
i made it myself - i suppose that is bad practice in today's neo post-modernist hyper-contemporary realist art circles where artists can simply imagine an object and it falls from the sky as if by the hand (or love) of god. when i'm not masturbating i make other half-conceptual objects @
http://www.goodward.com
Old 07-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Level 10 user

Is this a prank on a $98 m prank?

Fucking With Perception - Hirst's "For The Love of God" Diamond Skull

July 12, 2007, Placed outside of the White Cube Gallery Masons yard at 3.30 am on Sunday night in response to the Damien Hirst's "For The Love of God" diamond skull exhibition.

The "For the Love of God" prank was created using 6522 Swarovski crystals
and took Laura, the artist, a month to create.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Level 10 user

He sold it- but curiously enough, kept an ownership percentage, and will therefore be involved in its fate- which, it would seem, is to be exhibited like Diamonds of old were- a travelling exhibit, in which the owners will profit.
So it was not bought by traditional art collectors, but by businessmen who hope to profit from it....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...v3g&refer=muse
Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Level 10 user

Interesting. Even the $100 million now is a big business deal. Wonder how much he spent on making this diamond studded skull?

And should new artists aspire to be like him?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Level 2 user

Re: $98 million...Skull A Day

http://www.skulladay.blogspot.com/