Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Level 1 user

Starting a mobius in stone

Hello,

A while ago I was surfing the internet and came upon abstract stone art by Merlin Cohen. I am very fascinated by his designs so I am now trying to start to sculpt a mobius in stone. I have zero experience in stone sculpting but design in wood funiture and metal machining as a hobbyist is more my area. I pretty much have all the tools I need so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I have purchased alabaster stone and have a basic idea of my design.

My question is, when starting to remove material, is it typical to drill holes inside the mobius when possible then cut out the stone, then finish or just chisel away until the desired shape is created.

Also, it seems to me that it would be better to rough the outside, then work the inside of the design , then light finish the outer sides. My thought is that the removal of much of the internal material will remove the stability of the rock making the thinness of the mobius strips more apt to crack.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Philo : 02-16-2012 at 07:20 AM.