Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Facebook

here we go again. i think this is the scene when StevenW pipes in.

Do what makes you happy.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
You gotta get past the "time" thing. There is exactly enough time for everything that should happen, to happen. No more no less. It cant be conserved, nor wasted.
Only if you believe in God's master plan. I take personal responsibility for what I do with my time, here on earth, and I'll be very lucky to have 20 more productive years.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
Only if you believe in God's master plan. I take personal responsibility for what I do with my time, here on earth, and I'll be very lucky to have 20 more productive years.
Do you think I believe in god's master plan, Joe?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Level 10 user

I was going to pipe in about god's master plan, but Grommers beat me to it so I'll just mention what my own experience is like.

I'm on an all-out quest to add as many "friends" as I can. I think you can have up to 5000. So far I have something like 300-400 and I just add them arbitrarily based on friends of friends and the software's "suggested" friends, I add around 3-5 every time I log in and sometimes they accept me and sometimes they don't (I guess anyway, I haven't really checked that part).. Contrary to new urban myth/legend, this is not to validate my existance or show the world how wonderful I am or any such silliness. I just like to see art and I like to meet interesting people. I can scan/read very quickly and dismiss most of the gibberish in no time and focus on those who I like and can relate to.

Gotta run, more later..
Old 04-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I like to meet interesting people
Cyber existence. Redefines "getting to meet people". So, why do you guys rail against virtual sculpture? Cyber art for cyber people. The map is the territory.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Cyber existence. Redefines "getting to meet people". So, why do you guys rail against virtual sculpture? Cyber art for cyber people. The map is the territory.
one more nail in the coffin of people who actually lay hands on actual materials. The passion removed in favor of ease, cleanliness and shortcut tools that can make anyone a pro in 3 easy templates & 4 tutorials.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
The passion removed in favor of ease, cleanliness and shortcut
How to "Make Friends and Influence People". Rack up a good score on FB.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
How to "Make Friends and Influence People". Rack up a good score on FB.
Nah. If anything, it's prime for NOT making friends. Deny the people who never answer your emails anyway, and choose only people with good photos or snarky comments to friend.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Level 10 user

And you get to know who got a new puppy and what your unaware of.
(awareness week) puke.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Level 10 user

This is all very nice but looking it in a money way-

Has Facebook, twitterings, myartspace, etc etc,
increased sales? led directly to sales? in a way that the time spent doing it all justifies it when you could have been networking, ringing galleries, surfing at the beach, hiking etc, or even making work!

Call me antisocial but I dont particularly want about 5000 freinds that make inane comments and probably just want to add them as a freind anyway,
I know people on myspace that have fallen into this trap, lots of fans and praisings but at the end of the day miniscule sales for the time spent on it.

I like the idea of twitter where you just type a few words in and add a photo!
I am about to set up a few of these for my new site, just being careful not to spend time on things that is not productive.

Thanks!

p.s. I saw that 'Sculpture' magazine can be bought as an online version now, good if you are not in USA, the local borders in inverness used to stock it but closed now
Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Level 10 user

You want to sell your work...SHOW your work. To real people at real places. Its still the best way if you care about such things. Thats all.

Facebook is for banter and amusement - like so many other things we do while recovering from real work.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Level 10 user

Yep, banter and amusement. Out of the 5000 inane comments a few gems will innevitably arise and isn't that our job to begin with? Sift through the inane to find what is good. There's a lot of good artists there I never would have known about otherwise.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
isn't that our job to begin with?
so not our job
Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
so not our job
To each their own.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Level 10 user

I find following the links on artists websites I admire to be very efficient. But it doesn't have that "personal" touch of cyber chumminess.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
To each their own.
I suppose those who can do, and there are those who would rather just sort other people's work.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Level 10 user

What a snyde and petty little comment grommet.
Packed full of deliciously deceitful speciousness no doubt.

I happen to like "sorting" through othert people's work or in other words, looking at it! I think I have almost 400 friends now from all over the globe and that has absolutley zero to do with doing.

That will be all, you're dismissed. lol
Old 05-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I think I have almost 400 friends now from all over the globe and that has absolutley zero to do with doing.
That is cool. But, I actually do think it has a lot to do with doing. I'm constantly feeding my brain with visual images from all kinds of sources. These will impact what I do whether I'm aware of it at the time or not. Usually I am aware. It makes it richer.

FB is kind of the ultimate pen pal thing for multitaskers.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
What a snyde and petty little comment grommet.
Packed full of deliciously deceitful speciousness no doubt.

I happen to like "sorting" through othert people's work or in other words, looking at it! I think I have almost 400 friends now from all over the globe and that has absolutley zero to do with doing.

That will be all, you're dismissed. lol
sorry for the peevishness. tired of humoring people who are only interested in whether they're entertained or not-- as opposed to having a dialog. It really is about quality, not quantity. Inspiration arises in many ways, as Joe indicated and I'll acknowledge.
One vapid LOL too many. You're dismissed.

Last edited by grommet : 05-18-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Level 10 user

I have had plenty of worthy conversations on FB...with worthy people. Creative folk whom I respect and family who I never see by the strains of geography. I wish they all lived down the block (and we could share a beer) but thats not the case. So I wouldnt consider selected "sorting" a bad thing at all.

When your NOT making sculpture (which is most of the time - if you're doing it right) there is the other life. The one with other rewards. Dont forget your dualities, people (or your tri-alities - depending upon how far along you've come).
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Level 10 user

Help, I'm being sifted and copied and I'm too happy to be vapid.
(you can't dismiss somebody once you've already been dismissed, it's against the rules and plain old not fair).

Joe, you're right about the chumminess, (I love the meaning of chumminess) only a space like this permits it. A tightly woven peer 1 group full of word salad, more of a hunting party than a tribe. FB is a peer 2 group, all tribe and watered down in many ways and shallower, yet still represents a worthy and sometimes worthier venue for exploration if only in the visual sense.

Quantity is the only path to quality and without it the latter cannot exist, they are mutually dependant..
Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Quantity is the only path to quality and without it the latter cannot exist, they are mutually dependant..
So true. Called practice, learning, progress, as long as you are mindful. The mindlessness business is so messy.

Quote:
more of a hunting party than a tribe. FB is a peer 2 group, all tribe and watered down in many ways and shallower, yet still represents a worthy and sometimes worthier venue for exploration if only in the visual sense.
True also. The visuals must be great. But I'm a solitary hunter. I can't be distracted by more than I have now. I know my limits. I'm quite serious. In some areas, backpacking, real hunting, I went solo. Even climbed a few peaks solo. I don't want my art energies and concentration further diluted. I'm searching not for friends, but to improve my internal focus. I know when I need to go outside and mingle. Then I do.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Level 10 user

So FB not really increased sales then? lol.
Any twitter users?
Any of these social network tools lead to commissions etc?
Sorry to sound businessy.
In my experience in evil design world, direct contact leads to people who pay properly.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
In my experience in evil design world, direct contact leads to people who pay properly.
Ah yes. That reminds me of this quote which I found to be very accurate, unfortunately, :

Time spent in the advertising business seems to create a permanent deformity, like the Chinese habit of foot-binding.
Dean Acheson
Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 PM
ISC Member

Quote:
So FB not really increased sales then? lol.
Any twitter users?
Any of these social network tools lead to commissions etc?
Have FB & LinkedIN to be a bit of a waste. Have I found interesting people - some. Is there somewhere between a trickle to a waterfall of leads, orders, etc - no.

Have found scads of people that want to "be" something other than what they are for instance - accountants who want to be art consultants for instance. But don't know how to sell or contact prospects.

Have found people that want sculpture up to the point of ordering/buying, then nothing.

Have found that most people that sign up for an event (better than 75%) never show up at the event.

Don't think these people mean any thing by their actions, they are just poseurs. But, it could be my problem more than theirs. I tend to take people literally when they say or promise something. Makes for less than stellar results.

FB seems to be the biggest time waster. LinkedIn has a better veneer of maybe something happening that is useful. LinkedIn is more catered to the professional side of work. FB is more to the breezy, recreational side of life. Twitter is nonsensical.

Am cutting back on FB as a networking tool. Time would be better spent fishing other places for leads.