Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Facebook

Joe,

As an emerging sculptor I have limited options in going public. I can go the gallery route, which I plan to do, but it's an uphill climb. The internet offers a direct connection to the public. when I started I had 10 "fans" in the last two weeks this has grown to 70 and continues to grow every day. Eventually this will lead to business opportunities.

As for FB's connectivity isn't that a good thing ? It won't work unless people want it.

Speaking of connectivity have you noticed this board is dead ? My FB connection consists of mostly sculptors many who used to post on this board (Grommet, Rika,Roooooober(!)t Steve W. etc.) and is a constant stream of posting WIP or just thoughts.

G
Old 04-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Level 10 user

Giotto, you are taking the easiest and best avenue. My post was not meant to discourage you, or anyone. I intended it to be an interesting observation on human's communication and incestuous relations with the sneaky advertising bastards.

So why do you thing folks have migrated over to FB (to avoid me!)?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Level 10 user

Joe, I wish you'd come over to FB and spread wisdom with us at an even wider venue. I'd consider it a pleasure and an improvement.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Level 10 user

Joe,
It's a little different than this board...everything moves much faster. Not a enough time to get irritated.

Anyway...sign on...go to one of our pages and look at "friends" and you can link up from there.

Cheers
G
Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Level 10 user

Besides, Joe, My Art Space or whatever you're on, is sooo yesterday! Come over and see my new WTF wip.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Level 10 user

this forum is always slow this time of year. less posted, less to respond to. People out playing.

further...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/19481...ke_button.html

So stray button pushing can garner a roomful of cyber collectibles, just like real life, when people assume things from stray comments. I'm thinking of pushing every button I see so everyone will know I'm into soy-based carboniferous replicas of re-enacted high tech digital organic erotic traffic timed non-gendered vacuum plasma producing content based culturally reflective bio-fueled ginsu whitened multigrain literature. Or not.

Last edited by grommet : 04-22-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
so everyone will know I'm into soy-based carboniferous replicas of re-enacted high tech digital organic erotic traffic timed non-gendered vacuum plasma producing content based culturally reflective bio-fueled ginsu whitened multigrain literature.

Erotic ?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto View Post
Erotic ?
Can it be erotic without the gluten?

Maybe kinda but not really erotic.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Level 10 user

yeah, erotic, like able to rot/ biodegradeable.
have to add gluten free, also no corn or hydrolized protein...
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Level 10 user

I think Grommet is smoking sour diesel.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Joe, I wish you'd come over to FB and spread wisdom with us at an even wider venue. I'd consider it a pleasure and an improvement.
It's like the empty chair at the round table, we'll save a spot for Sir Joecelot.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Level 10 user

Hmmm. Thanks Steven for the suggested screen name. So, what is it about being over there that is better than being over here...what is there more of that is missing here? Because if I'm not even aware of what I want more of, you gotta let me know,... never have enough worthwhile addictions.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Level 10 user

Here's the way I see it.. FB has a much broader range of people/artists to engage with and you can go after more of what interests you in general. The site itself makes adding pictures much easier without the need to resize and crop etc. (it does that for you). It is less thread based and more stream of concious oriented and well, you can see a lot more Art (or at least a lot more people's work) and a lot of it is quite stunning.

The downside is that it tends to be more watered down than a site like this one and you won't see any good thrashings like you sometimes do here. Of course, none of us here is afraid to let loose with a good old fashioned thrashing. lol
Old 04-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
... FB has a much broader range of people/artists to engage with and you can go after more of what interests you in general. hmmm

The site itself makes adding pictures much easier without the need to resize and crop etc. (it does that for you). Great!

It is less thread based and more stream of concious oriented "concious" huh? Dunno if any one can handle my stream--I self censor here, sometimes. But, I do appreciate good writers more than voluminous spewers. Hows that for polite.

and well, you can see a lot more Art (or at least a lot more people's work) and a lot of it is quite stunning. BIG PLUS

The downside is that it tends to be more watered down than a site like this one HUGE minus

and you won't see any good thrashings like you sometimes do here. Of course, none of us here is afraid to let loose with a good old fashioned thrashing. lol Gotta have people who aren't afraid to grapple
Sir Joecelot, Pagan Hero. I'm liking it mo better, but not sold.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Level 10 user

Joe,
It takes 5 minutes to sign up..why not try it and see if you like it....nothing bad will happen if you don't...and it's free.

G
Old 04-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
I'm liking it mo better, but not sold.
People are looser, more personable over there. You can talk about anything you want, not just sculpture or art. I've seen someone come up there and say "someone please communicate with me". Whatever your needs at that moment, they are easily and quickly met.
You can see more wip's and work that you wouldn't post here.
On the downside I think people are not as forward about critiquing, they just comment about what they like or keep quiet. For a serious critique this forum is the best I've seen.
The weirdest and best thing for me so far is being friends with Jerry Saltz, reading about art news and see all those more or less successful artists comment on his page. It's good to keep informed when your working isolated like me.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Level 10 user

Hah, Saltzy wouldnt friend me (and he's got more friends than anyone)...he must have remembered me from the ol days.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Level 10 user

Rika is right...our work is hard and solitary. It's nice to take breaks and look out my computer window.

Come on big dog take the plunge....
Old 04-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Hah, Saltzy wouldnt friend me (and he's got more friends than anyone)...he must have remembered me from the ol days.
Probably. Not.
He kept my request pending for about a month, so I thought this meant something. Sure enough when I wrote a short note he friended me right away. You know those funny emoticons that show up on your screen every now and then and shout at you: "say something!" "what?" "say something!!!" Same thing.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
Probably. Not.
He kept my request pending for about a month, so I thought this meant something. Sure enough when I wrote a short note he friended me right away. You know those funny emoticons that show up on your screen every now and then and shout at you: "say something!" "what?" "say something!!!" Same thing.
I'm out of the loop on friends (who's Sultzy?) but maybe this site should have a WIP thread.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigktx View Post
I'm out of the loop on friends (who's Sultzy?) but maybe this site should have a WIP thread.
He's the art critic that is talking about de-skilling as current trend in the artworld.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
People are looser, more personable over there. You can talk about anything you want, not just sculpture or art. I've seen someone come up there and say "someone please communicate with me". Whatever your needs at that moment, they are easily and quickly met.
That is precisely the problem. You stated it perfectly. I'm totally not interested in random, idle chit chat on miscellaneous topics , or knee jerk reactions to art by non artists. That is why this is a sculpture forum--focus. It filters out the casual idiot and encourages reasoned, well written opinions on art and sculpture by experienced people. Art demands dedication. This is not another lonely hearts venue for the uncommitted. There is plenty of room on this forum for off topic exploration and release...without stupid advertising.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Level 10 user

Joe. Where's your open mind? Fb is whatever WANT IT TO BE. You can choose who you interact with. There's privacy settings. It's totally up to you what you do with it. You can do all those things you mention.
Another thing I like about FB: here I get reaction from professionals, over there both from professionals and the public. I get a better picture from all the feedback.
Here's my suggestion: sign up, experience it for a month (a few days won't give you the whole picture), and if you don't like it, close your account. You can't really judge FB from the outside.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
You can't really judge FB from the outside.
You are right. But I'm not judging.
Quote:
Where's your open mind?
If only you knew.
Quote:
Here's my suggestion: sign up, experience it for a month
Look, I'm retired and I'm still trying to get more free time for the things I want and need to do. Spend even more time on the internet? That is not going to help me satisfy my desires.

Quote:
Fb is whatever (you)WANT IT TO BE.
It already ready is.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Level 10 user

You gotta get past the "time" thing. There is exactly enough time for everything that should happen, to happen. No more no less. It cant be conserved, nor wasted. This is a perceptual bump in the road. Facebook, chess with yourself, egghead's scribbles, Disney, bbq's, loud music (quiet music)....and ALL kinds of other stuff can be undertaken at will...for as long or short as you want. There are no passing moments - only things NOT done. And the nature of REAL Art, the magnificently depleting and unsustainability of it, assures PLENTY of "down-time". "Everything" is attached to our will, there are no possibilities outside of that. "time" is quite irrelevant.

So dont do Facebook, its not your thing. go hunting for good food or obscure records....thats fun stuff.

And while its quite true that non-sculptors have less to offer-up intellectually (due to an unreconciling of intellect with unrequired reality) lots of folks are handy with words and language and can be amusing.