Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Level 3 user

i need help

hi to all
i have a new project in my mind, a sculpture made from nuts (screw and nut) it's about 90*60 cm, one next to another, so the problem how to fix them permanently , i don't want to use elctric welding or fire one, for technical issue, i tried the two tube adhesive the a and b thing , it did'nt work i use may other metal adhesive , did'nt work too, in fact it glue them but very easy to be broken. any idea plz
ps: it's my first metal work.
regards
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Level 10 user

Re: i need help

The nice thing about screws and nuts is that they go together so well. If you tighten them against one another, you rarely need to use glue to hold them in place. A little threadlocker (like LoctiteTM) can make any bolted assemblage permanent. Maybe lockwashers at the ends would help, though.

Of course, if you aren't taking advantage of the unique properties of threaded fasteners, and are simply hoping to use them as metal elements, then soldering them together is probably your best bet; glue rarely works well or for long on metals.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Level 3 user

tnx mr werby, and sorry for my bad english, my sculpture will b only made from nuts no screw, i only metion screw to make clear what i mean by nut.
lol i just learned what nut mean by using google translate. so any advice how to weld nuts without elctrical or fire tools?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:20 PM
ISC Member

Look for an industrial type of glue like "Super Glue Gel" or "PC-7". Both are very strong adhesives that basically form a lump (think thick like gravy) around what you are trying to join - so a stronger joint. This is very different from glues that have a very low viscosity (runny like water) like normal Super Glue.

I will be using ths technique to glue wire at right angles to 1" diameter nuts in the near future. Will be for a temporary setup for a photo shoot.

If you cannot find Super Glue Gel or PC-7 easily - go to an industrial supply store & they can help you with the proper adhesive. You do not need normal consumer adhesives, you need commercial/industrial adhesives.

Carl
Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Level 8 user

If the nuts are new, they will have machine oil on them from manufacture. You must wash them, de-grease them so adhesives will work. Next, rough up the back side or surface with 80-grit sandpaper.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Level 3 user

tnx for u all, both advice sound to me logic.
regards yahya serbey
Old 09-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Level 5 user

If the nuts are plated then you will struggle to get any adhesive to bond to them properly. Using un-plated nuts (look for 'black' or 'self colour' in their product description. will certainly make life much easier.

They will also need to be thoroughly cleaned and, ideally, have the surface roughened with an abrasive. Having them sand blasted should achieve both. Once they are cleaned, make sure they stay clean, eg don't handle them with bare hands.

For this kind of thing using an adhesive is very much a second best option compared to welding or brazing.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Level 10 user

Almost all nuts are plated now, except for very large ones. I just throw them in a cup of diluted muriatic acid. All plating disappears in just a few minutes.

Richard