Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Level 2 user

Question Anyone repaired a tear in silicon?

I was pouring some waxes recently and realized that I had about a six inch tear in the silicon itself, I am not nearly done with the edition so need to repair it, can anyone tell me what type of adhesive to use and if you just use it on the mother mold side it shouldn't affect the wax pour??? I was afraid if I just started using any kind of glue I would melt or dissolve the silicon. Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Anyone repaired a tear in silicon?

If it is a straight tear then the mother mould should hold it together so the wax will not ooze out. You might get a bit of flashing if it is a large tear which is easy enough to chase off afterwards.

If you do want to repair, I would suggest to do the repair on the back only, not between the faces as it may stop the two faces mating closely unless there is some sort of glue you can use with a watery consistency.

Repairing with more silicone on the back may not work well as it doesnt stick well to cured silicone. You could try cutting wedges out of the back to act a anchor points for new silicone. Also gouge out a bit of the mother mould in the area to accomodate the dollup of silicon you will add there, close up the mother mould so the repar will take the correct shape. You may need to pour in some wax first though so the inner silicone mould keep its shape as the mother mould squashes against the dollup of silicone
Old 11-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Level 10 user

Sew it together with heavy thread and a big needle.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Level 10 user

Clean the area well, to remove any dust or oils on the surface. Use pure silicone rubber caulk, the single-component stuff that comes in tubes and smells like vinegar. Like Mantrid advises, make some room for it by removing some material from the inside of the mother mold. Spread the caulk on the back surface of the damaged area. Reinforce the patch with a cloth mesh of some sort, worked well into the caulk. Push the split edges together as closely as possible from the front to correct the alignment, and wipe away any caulk that goozes through the crack. Let set 24 hours, or until thoroughly cured.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 11-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Level 10 user

yep, the only thing that sticks to silicon is silicon.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 AM
Level 2 user

I have sewn mine up. It is better if you get 1/2 circle round body needles with swaged on suture material and ideally use a needle holder. Line up all the irregularities and use simple interrupted pattern ie not continuous. You want the suture to butt the edges together not to evert or invert them. Oil the suture and pull through very carefully to avoid cutting through the silicon. Check for any gaps and put in another suture. Your local vet might supply the tool and suture. Nice people,vets. While you are there get her/him to show you how to tie knots using the needle holder. Saves on suture
Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Level 2 user

Talking Re: Anyone repaired a tear in silicon?

Thanks for all the great advice, it makes you sick when you find those and this was tiny but everytime I pour a wax it gets larger and is very thin in that particular area. Now it is about five inches long. I did not know whether you were yanking my cord with the sutures or not but will try the silicon patch. Might experiment with a few small pieces of silicon before doing it. Thanks to all.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Level 3 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Werby View Post
Clean the area well, to remove any dust or oils on the surface. Use pure silicone rubber caulk, the single-component stuff that comes in tubes and smells like vinegar. Like Mantrid advises, make some room for it by removing some material from the inside of the mother mold. Spread the caulk on the back surface of the damaged area. Reinforce the patch with a cloth mesh of some sort, worked well into the caulk. Push the split edges together as closely as possible from the front to correct the alignment, and wipe away any caulk that goozes through the crack. Let set 24 hours, or until thoroughly cured.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Andrew, you are right. Usually for those one time work, we just make adjustment on the wax work instead of repairing the wax mould.