Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Level 10 user

brains or balls

I am a metal sculptor who has done contemporary fine art full time for almost twenty years.During this time I also lived and managed a 70 acre horse farm north of Atlanta.I was inspired by a butterfield horse I saw at a gallery in Atlanta.I was sitting on a huge stash of stainless,I bought for 400 dollars from another artist,and I thought I would build a horse too.Little did I know my horse would wind up with the butterfield in Elton John,s cond in Hotlanta.

The other day I saw a brochoure on the new Booth western art musuem in Cartersville ,GA.I called my old ferrier and he gave me the low down on this multi million dollar musuem built by a local billionaire.Through a little networking I contacted the director of the musuem.I convinced him it would be wonderful to put my contemporary horse on the grounds to break up the traditional bronzes.I also sugested doing a show,and possibly working on a large scale instalation/commission for the grounds.The dude got so fire up he is comming to my studio in a couple of weeks.Just a start,but who knows.All the young artist out there that really want to make a living off their art,it can happen,but most of the time you have to make opportunitys that can work to your advantage...........I will post a photo after I insall the piece
Old 03-26-2005, 09:43 PM

Re: brains or balls

Congratulations, Iron Ant. It sounds like you have a good approach. I hope that this client works out for you.
JAZ
Old 03-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Sculptor

All this sounds great, Ant. And, I'm sure it represents a combination of ability, perserverence, and a degree of luck.

Let us see more of the earlier work, and keep us up with these new activities.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie
All this sounds great, Ant. And, I'm sure it represents a combination of ability, perserverence, and a degree of luck.

Let us see more of the earlier work, and keep us up with these new activities.

Frichie,here are a couple of my horses.I have made a bunch,all polished ,welds featherd in.My concept is like a pen and ink dawing in 3-d.I am also trying to catch frozen motion....Iron ant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Long STreet Clinic.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1507  Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor horse1.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1508  
Old 03-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron ant
Frichie,here are a couple of my horses.I have made a bunch,all polished ,welds featherd in.My concept is like a pen and ink dawing in 3-d.I am also trying to catch frozen motion....Iron ant
a couple of more instalations..............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	renisance center.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1510  Click image for larger version

Name:	renisance center2.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1511  Click image for larger version

Name:	Quinlin horse.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1512  
Old 03-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Sculptor

Re: brains or balls; photographs

Thanks for getting these up, IA. The first one, silhouetted against a plane background, reminds me of Picasso - itís very active and expressive.

I know I donít need to tell you the others, photographed on-site during daytime hours, are hard to see against busy backgrounds. Thatís got to be a major problem with installation art like this. We all know how much work goes into just making the pieces, not counting photographing them.

If these pieces are in permanent locations, might it be possible to photograph them at night, illuminated by either very high or very low floods or spots that would hit the sculpture and miss most of the background? Just an idea.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Level 10 user

Fritchie,you are so right.I never got good pictures of most of my horse instalations,but I plan on re shooting the work for a web page and cataloge.I think night time under the light is the way to go.I have a lot of instalations,these were just a few I had time to reduce down.the black one was shot in the studio with my big door up at night.I will use this method again.....Hope to get better visuals soon....
Old 04-01-2005, 09:45 PM

Looks like a nice spot for them. The 3D drawing idea is a good one and these look fluid and alive. Nice going.
JAZ
Old 04-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Level 10 user

Following up thread,I had a great meeting with the director.He is going to include a piece in a show from a private collection this summer.I was hopping to get one of Elton John's,but I found out my little horse ,in his collection, is in his villa in France,thought that was real cool sence I did not even know.