Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Level 2 user

Opinion Wanted on HENROB 2000 Master Torch Kit plus J& S Enterprises bonus

I have been creating clay, concrete and stone scultptures for many years and am now interested in working with metals. I would appreciate any suggestions one may have in purchasing equipment that will facilitate the learning process but can grow with me as skills are honed. An associate of mine recommended the following product -- HENROB 2000 Master Torch Kit plus J& S Enterprises bonus. (Sold at Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846 ...

What is your honest opinion on this product? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:26 AM
ISC Member

Re: Opinion Wanted on HENROB 2000 Master Torch Kit plus J& S Enterprises bonus

I looked at this torch a long time ago and couldn't justify the money or the time to make all the set-up changes required to do all the different welding and cutting tricks.

Still may be a good deal depending on the type of work you want to do.

Check out all the photo's and video's here.

Also a better price.

Good luck.

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 03-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Level 2 user

oddist: Thank you for your reply and link. As of this time, I have no other equipment and I am starting fresh. So, I will not have to justify replacing expensive equpment or learning how to use a new tool. I plan to work with aluminum, stainless, metal, scrap metal and copper. I will start with simple, small, pieces with only a few welds needed and work my way to larger more complicated ones. This is why I want the equipment I chose to be versatile as my experience increases. Based on these factors, do you (or anyone reading this post) have any opinions or working knowledge of the Henrob 2000? Or, if you have any other recommendations then please post them. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Level 10 user

Do a search on metalmeet.com for the Henrob. As I recall the consensus was that it required considerable skill to use, that the impressive demonstrations were due to operator talent rather than the tool. Also check out Hobartwelders.com forums. Join and ask questions--the folks are very helpful. Get a hold of what you want to do before you buy tools. Main considerations are what metals and how thick. Learn about cutting, shaping and joining . It might be easy or very difficult depending on scale and materials. You've got a big learning curve ahead of you. No simple answers for you ...yet.
Joe
Old 03-10-2005, 06:51 PM
ISC Member

I've owned and used a HENROB torch for many years. When I got it I had minimal space and equipment. The HENROB appealed to me for its potential versatility and relatively low cost versus having to buy a number of different tools. I still own and and use it although sparingly since I have increased my work space and arsenal of welders, plasma cutters and other tools. The torch is a precision designed and manufactured tool and will in fact do most everything they claim it will.....PROVIDED.....you are able to develop the precision skills required and the precision maintenance to keep it in good condition. With that said I must now confess to the sloppy and abusive manner with which I use most of my tools. With studio time at a premium I don't want to spend a lot of time cleaning, maintaining or even puting away alot of parts. The HENROB torch has a number of interchangeable parts required for its various functions which requires threading and unthreading tips and plugs and adapters (very fine threads I might add) all of which have ended up under the far side of a workbench for days or weeks at a time. Assuming your are of the more anal retentive variety of artist this is a swell piece of equipment and it even looks cool. The cutting tips can give you an almost plasma cutter quality on mild steel, however is not as effective on stainless or copper based alloys. I still use the acetylene/air tip as a handy solder and heating tool. More volume and heat than the disposable propane types. For general welding the welding tips provide a very nice and precise flame, again skill and good regulators are critical in getting the most out of this tool.

Summary...If your work does not require great precision you can do just as well with a standard oxy/acetelyne set. You can pick up a small one complete with tanks, regulators and welding and cutting tips for about the same price as the HENROB torch only. If you need precision on relatively thin material and want to dabble in more exotic alloys (stainless, aluminum, etc) then the HENROB can give you some options if you take the time to practice using it.

Additonal notes:Gas welding aluminum even with the HENROB is tricky at best and generally just frustrating. In my opinion this is not a tool you would use effectively for large scale projects.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Level 1 user

This product is awesome!!! No question. The If you go towww.gasweldingstore.com you can look through all of the different henrob options. (Now called the DHC 2000) There are 4 different kits available. the master kit on that wbsite is $399 + Free shipping. Plus you will recieve the cobra torches manufature video. J & S does not offer that particular video. Please check it out. If you have any questions call cobra torches at 248-601-1664 ( this is the manufacture directly.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Level 6 user

Well I am still not sold and I did get to use one for about 15 minutes. I can not figure out why the heck to invest close to $600 for a torch, yeah add the regulators and hoses, when a $250 outfit from Smith or Harris will weld just as good. Heck you're making sculpture not beautiful welds.

warren
Old 03-16-2005, 10:24 AM
Level 10 user

If you have not worked metal before and are looking to initiate yourself
to welding, why not find a class somewhere to get you started?

I have owned a Smith torch for 28 years and wouldn't trade it for anything
else, Victor rocks too. If you are planning to work thin metal a plasma cutter
will give you professional results with less effort and it doesn't care what kind
of metal you want to cut (aluminum, brass, bronze, copper, etc.).

There is an aluminum solder that flows at about 900F which will secure most
all metals (ferrous and non-ferrous) with a very strong joint. It isn't cheap but
it is extremely versatile if you are really attached to a concept of joining a lot
of different "types" of metals.

Welding aluminum with it's low melting point combined with a quick heat
exchange makes it a unique challenge that you may want to avoid.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Level 1 user

ok

i have been welding pro and art wise for 33 yrs.....you can do verything they claim with a standard victor journymans set...cost is 200 or so......ant the claim of the super low operating pressuers is no different then a regular welding set up. You use the same psi regardless. the cutting, if you note, still requires high oxy psi.....20 thru 40 psi, so no difference. the unit is bulky, awkward and i dont see the 340 dollar value.....just my thoughts