Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2005, 09:46 AM
ISC Member

Digital Imaging

Sculptors..stand aside..

Digital Michelangelo Project

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 01-07-2005, 04:37 PM

Re: Digital Imaging

Simply incredible. A person could get stuck in that site for days.

What I want to know is, when do I get to buy my own holographic projection of the works?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Sculptor

Re: Digital Imaging; restoring Michelangelo

My first impression is that I doubt the front top of the hair is what Michelangelo would have done. It is loosely formed and generic, and doesn't even match the hair toward the rear. This may be a case where it would have been better to let the subject, even in its current condition, speak for itself.

I donít want this remark to be taken out of context; in general I think I would prefer correction of such damage. However, he was very bold, and I donít think this restoration follows that example.

On another point, I seem to recall reading years ago that the top of Davidís head was left somewhat unfinished because the sculptor made the figure as large as physically possible, given the proffered block of marble. Perhaps that was imaginative thinking on the part of the [correctly unremembererd] author, given this new description.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:49 AM
ISC Member

Re: Digital Imaging

I just downloaded their ScanView software and images...if you have the computer power to run this it might be worth a look-see...the images are amazing

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006