Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 PM
ISC Professional Member

FRAGMENTS EXHIBITION

Fellow artists:
I have been planning a series of exhibitions for several years and now I would like to tell you, my colleagues, about the project.

The idea began while visiting Vietnam in 2003 where I witnessed the devastating impact that unexploded weapons have on a local population, ensuring that a war long over can to live on for decades. This troubling realization inspired me to try to help change this reality and I am offering the “Fragments” collection of sculpture for sale, with 75 percent of the sale price to fund landmine clearance.

“Fragments” were original inspired by the archaeological remnants of sculptures that I saw in museums and like those ancient remains, “Fragments” speak of the tragic nature within us, and the continuous cycles of war that makes up our history. These sculptures have remained hidden in my studio for many years as I considered that they lacked authenticity and remained unfinished. Only in witnessing the tragedy caused by landmines did I realize that these works of art had a purpose, and they were to push my sculpture past social commentary, for they could actually work to change this terrible reality on a practical and tangible level.

Through “Fragments” we have begun to make a difference, and I am presenting this body of sculpture in order to continue to manifest this difference. Since July of this year, “Fragments” have been removing unexploded weapons in Vietnam as well as having mapped a minefield in Angola.

The campaign continues at:
The Canterbury Festival October 13-25
Chapter House, Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury, Kent CT1 2EE

And again
November 1-17
The Fragments Exhibition
Royal Opera Arcade
5 Pall Mall
London SW1Y 4UY
England

Along with finding this purpose for my art, a group of artists have helped me to create a website ( www.motive-art.org ) for artists who want to help victims of war, poverty and disease by raising money for charities supporting the victims of human injustice. The site will feature artists who wish to donate their work or time to charitable projects.

For centuries, artists have used their work to make political and social statements. We believe this is not enough.
We want to turn talk and art into positive action.
Our aim is simple but huge.
We want artists to help create a better world.

The “Fragments” collection represent 20 sculptures created over the last decade, and now having found their meaning, they will fund The No More Landmines Trust in order to continue their mine clearance work across the developing world.

We do not expect other artists to give away all their work. I felt that to launch Motive, I needed to make a dramatic gesture, we are only asking you to help where you can and to assist the charity that is close to your heart.
Motive would like to help you where we can.
Motive invites artists to visit the website, register and get involved with the debate on how artists can change the world for the better.
Motive. art for life's sake.
Please join us. www.motive-art.org
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adbwwv2lifesakeweb.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	6978