Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Level 1 user

coatings

Hi,
New to this site and have a lot of questions.
I am starting to make some metal type work such as potracks, wine racks, and eventuall wall hangings. I need to start exploring better finishes for my work. Hand painting is too hard and would like to get some type of sprayer and different coatings that I can experiment with. I really dont know where to start but I'm willing to purchase a sprayer/compressor for a few hundred dollars and some type of kit. I noticed that have kits on sculpt nouveau but I dont know how good they are.

1. Does anyone have a suggestion as far as a sprayer setup so I can use it for different coatings on my metal work?
2. Are the kits they sell on sculpt nouveau a good place to start? I would like to experimet and see what types of other coats are out there besides black paint.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Ed
edmfs2000@yahoo.com
Old 08-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Level 10 user

Re: coatings

I would think a small aircompressor with a standard pint sprayer would do. I use a sprayer alot on louvered doors etc. You don't need a big compressor either my 5 hp nearly blew up my sprayer can. By the way someone had turned me on to ALSA Corp. coatings. They have some absolutely cool coatings.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Level 2 user

Check out Eastwood.com and Caswell Coatings.

Eastwood is geared towards autos, but they have nice selection of painting and powder coating equipment. I have one of thier PC kits and it is nice and easy to use.

Caswell has PC stuff as well as plating, anodizing, and just about any other coating you can think of for metal in DIY sized/priced kits.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Level 6 user

try bearair.com, star scenic in Florida, but get a compressor that pulls upto 100lbs and has a non-pulsing motor and a 5 gal tank at the least, or the stuff wont spray smooth. the compressors at homedepot will be best, you can get a pint gun there too, or a "jam" gun.

goodluck

Seth
www.forensicsculpting.com
www.realsculpt.com
Old 09-29-2005, 06:38 AM
Level 10 user

Whatever you do dont forget one of the most important components to laying down a nice finish,Water trap/water filter for your compressor,and they make a throw away that screaws on the end of the gun.Mosture will cause fish eyes and imperfections in automotive quality paint.Save yourself a headach,littlterly,go powdercoating......IA