Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 AM
Level 7 user

Abstract stone carving book?

I would appreciate your recommendations for the purchase of a book on abstract stone carving.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Level 2 user

Re: Abstract stone carving book?

Hi, zazie;
i did a quick google search and found these. i hope it helps.

Unique Sculpture
http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/unique-sculpture

Arnold, Walter S. Staglieno - The Art of the Marble Carver
Cami, Josepmaria Teixido I Sculpture in Stone
Meilach, Dona Z. Contemporary Stonee Sculpture
Liebson, Milt Direct Stone Sculpture
Slobodkin, L. Sculpture, Principles & Practice
http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/books/book-stone.htm
Old 03-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Level 3 user

I would go to the library or a good art bookstore and check out artists who worked in stone. Whatever you choose to do with stone, figurative or abstract, the techniques are the same. Then study stone, which one crumbles easily, which one cracks along interior faults, which type of stone carves well and is also strong. (don't forget natural texture and colors) Get some stone and try it out.
Some abstract artists who worked in stone:
Philip Pavia
Wilfred Zogbaum
Noguchi
Saul Swarz

Denise
Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Level 7 user

Thank you both for your input. I also did some google searches but was hoping for some advice from the excellent stone carvers on this site. I guess they are too busy working right now.

Still, I found this most excellent book about three dimensional design:

"The Art of Three Dimensional Design" by Louis Wolchonok. First printed in 1959, and now in reprint. This book appears to cover all the abstract (stone, wood, ...) designs possibilities ever produced - A must read I think.

My question initially, and perhaps too limiting, was a desire to learn more about stone characteristics after not understanding a response on another post regarding the "45 degree angle ... vein..." (can't remember where the post is). It is this kind of inside knowledge that I was after.

Cheers
Old 03-14-2010, 10:46 AM
ISC Member

I have read and have most of those listed. I'd certainly suggest the Meilach book, because it has one of the best collections of pictures of various types of stone sculpture that I've seen. Includes very interesting stuff from some of the European stone carving symposiums. I'm always on the lookout for such books as well, but I don't think it's the subject of much current writing. I fear that the real heyday of abstract stone sculpture was 50's and 60's, and it doesn't appear to hold much current interest for the curators. There seems to be some continued interest in monumental stone which may be around for a good while, if only because it will outlast painted metal. A renovation of the Naguchi museum in Long Island City opened recently--mostly abstract stone. The Times liked it but said that his work doesn't seem to have--I think the word was-- the "urgency", that it once did.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Level 10 user

It is, of course, well beyond the intellectual capabilities of the art-scribbling Times folks to grasp the strengths of Noguchi's work. "It doesnt seem the have the urgency it once had"? HAH! Guess what, the work hasnt changed. Whatever it once possessed it still possesses. That is one of the great things about stone.

Remember, the Art models the culture, NOT the other way 'round.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Level 10 user

The thing about this world of art vis a vis the human consciousness is that you are not permitted to rest on your laurels. Same with God*. Whatever wonders you have already created are not enough. Its about "what can you do for me now?"

How many times have you been asked, having just expended all of your energy on the latest big project, " What are you working on next?"

*Creating a universe is a tough act to follow, however many people won't believe there is a God unless some new minor miracle occurs directly in their face. And then, its still a 50-50 proposition.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
How many times have you been asked, having just expended all of your energy on the latest big project, " What are you working on next?"
I always ask myself that mid-way through projects.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Level 10 user

The "resting" is insisted-upon. Which is why we must be selective about where we apply our BEST efforts; which is why we must know the difference between things we do to sustain and things we do to advance. Sustenance does not require an inspired engagement (the energy for that is made availabe by your meals and a decent immune system). But the energy that drives the Art, the REAL Art, must be drawn courageously from unusual sources. As it comes-to-be against the grain of necessity it becomes the MOST necessary act. Episodic, charged visitations of motivation that yield the least servicable yet most important results of "being". Its no secret, everyone will know this eventually, and the grubbers will be ignored, staring at their fortunes wondering why things just dont seem worth-it.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazie View Post
My question initially, and perhaps too limiting, was a desire to learn more about stone characteristics after not understanding a response on another post regarding the "45 degree angle ... vein..." (can't remember where the post is). It is this kind of inside knowledge that I was after.

Cheers
Hi Zazie, the vein at a 45 degree angle is usually ideal for carving marble because of the strength of the bond between the individual crystals in the overall matrix. Carving marble with the vein running straight up vertically is not preferred for instance because it will eventually split that way, particularly if it is exposed to the elements and thus shorten the life-span of the sculpture. There are also aesthetic reasons for carving on a bias, but to me they are instinctual and this is the kind of thing any first year carver should learn.

I haven't read many books in the last several years because years of rock dust make reading on paper like looking through cement glasses, but I have heard good things about Walter Arnold's book and I know Walter knows his rock. It may be just another introductory text for all I know, but I have a hunch he included some profound observations and the kind of knowledge you seek.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Level 10 user

I would suggest that it is not going to be easy to learn to carve stone from a book. Not that there aren't lots of great books out there just that it's pretty difficult to sum up such a phisical process on paper.
I would suggest you go take a course or go to one of the many carving symposia.
After having carved lots of sculpture in lots of different stone I can tell you that there are very different techniques and tools for most stones. They can be explained in a book but not very well. Even within stone familys the technique can differ.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Level 7 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
I haven't read many books in the last several years because years of rock dust make reading on paper like looking through cement glasses, .
Hum, Steven you make me want to reconsider.

Tobias, I am taking a course and I love it but it is strictly hands on and so I wanted a bit more knowledge perhaps as a result of my bookish past.

I am used to adding and subtracting with clay and so working with stone is a different problem. Also working on an abstract piece forces me to consider design is new ways and will improve, I think, my figurative work. A most enjoyable experience - though the flying bits and the dust have to be endured.

Thanks for all the comments.

Oh, one more thing, after chipping at my rock I have a heightened admiration for the work of the stone carvers and what they are able to achieve. Kudos.

Last edited by zazie : 03-25-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Hum, Steven you make me want to reconsider..
Don't be silly, books are way overrated and they stopped writing good ones toward the end of the sixties anyway. I'd much rather read a stone tablet.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Level 3 user

I don't know of any particular book for stone carving, but a good artist must know their material well, so I suggest reading up on the nature of various stones that are used for carving. Find books about sculptors who worked in stone, make note of what stone they chose, then read about that stone- it all comes down to geology. Sedimentary, metamorphic, hardness, grain, how a stone chips. Look up Noguchi, Pavia, Rodin, Moore, Arp.
And take a class if possible, you can learn some good tricks and not have to reinvent ancient methods.
Denise
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM
ISC Member

Hey Zazie,

Sorry I have not been on Sculpture Community lately (as a stone carver/etc.) . . . as far as the books on stone there are many, but to get the info you want you need to work on it. No free lunch! <grin>

Dona Meilach is good (lots of examples to take you into further research), as is Milt Liebson (good for a number of techniques), but perhaps my favorite is the general book by Jack C. Rich "Sculpture Materials and Methods". He doesn't describe 'abstract' per se, but he does go into a good bit of (slightly dated - 1947) technical observations.

To find your way perhaps instead of a book you could ask the 'about' stone list some questions. Free sign-up, online archives, world-wide members working in many aspects of stone ready and able to reply. Aboutstone.org

If you have a specific question I'll be happy to address it. My library includes the books listed here (with personal descriptions): http://www.dondougan.com/Bibliography.html

www.dondougan.com
Old 04-12-2010, 01:05 AM
ISC Member

For great authority and sensitivity I recommend the sculptures and ideas about carving of Jose de Creeft, Spanish sculptor of the 1940's/'50's. He advocated and practised "direct" carving, without sketches, modeling, or drawings (though he also produced bronzes and weldments and constructions). Truly obsessive, he carved a huge body of work from every kind of stone and wood, using manual labor and simple tools, and expressed his opinions about it freely. Both abstract and figurative work, some of it heartbreakingly beautiful in my eye.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Level 1 user

Quote:
I would appreciate your recommendations for the purchase of a book on abstract stone carving.

Thanks!
Stone carving form of art has been around from decades, it is one of the finest forms of art. Even today stone carving has got its own value and importance. There are people even today who love stone carving. If you are looking for stone carving book to learn that art, then only a book will not help you in any way. You need good tools for better stone carving.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Level 10 user

Delbert, a book is a means by which an author can pass on to others some degree of their accumulated knowledge and wisdom from experience. Your response indicates that you are all for personal experience but have little respect for the wisdom of others.
It is natural for someone who wants to learn and grow to take in information from those who are more experienced, which can then be selectively applied as one experiments on their own.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Delbert, a book is a means by which an author can pass on to others some degree of their accumulated knowledge and wisdom from experience. Your response indicates that you are all for personal experience but have little respect for the wisdom of others.
It is natural for someone who wants to learn and grow to take in information from those who are more experienced, which can then be selectively applied as one experiments on their own.
GlennT, thank you for your honest reply. I completely agree with you that a book is a means by which an author can pass on some degrees of their knowledge to others, but what I meant was about a practical experience.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Level 10 user

Learning from those doing is the best learning I think. Many parts of the country have carving studios if you can afford the time. Stone Carving associations, art shows etc, met a lot of people that way as well. All the books quoted are good. I became so obsessed that I ended up in and around quarries!! Finally went to Carrara Italy. Suppliers in Barre Vermont is a good source for hand chisels, points etc. Get stone and get chipping!!