Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 PM
ISC Member

happy, poor, old, city artists

I was working on some frames [for metal bas reliefs] this afternoon and listening to National Public Radio. They mentioned a study by Columbia Teachers College called Perfecting the Art of Frugal Living in NYC. They had studied a group of 213 NY artists 62 and over--average income $30,000. The thrust was that they had all sold something this year, had been artists for many years, and were extremely happy even if just getting by in a city where everyone else seems to deal in money. Being an artist was more important than gender, sex, or race. A couple of very happy profiles of some older artists who live to make art and will not stop.
You can find it at NPR.org.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Level 10 user

Re: happy, poor, old, city artists

Old artists, just getting-by in nyc (or anywhere else for that matter) selling somthing here and there, probably milking rent-contol...doesn't sound too great to me. I know there are a lot of them - and God bless em - but there something kinda pitiful about it. I've known (and still know) some artists in this "place" in their career. On one hand, they have enjoyed an entire life of artmaking...on the other, there seems to be a denying anti-climax to it all. there is no city or "routine" worth enough to squash or keep me in a 300 sq foot place or in any situation of perceived poverty. I'm not saying they aren't good artists...wouldn't know without seeing some work, but I suspect they could have been better.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Level 10 user

Happy, Poor, Old, city artists

I just listened to that NPR show from the furthest point of west Texas and thought about the time that I lived in N.Y. I went to High School there from 1972 to 1975. I enjoyed hearing that program and how content the artists were. I do not agree that they should have been better off. From what I heard, they derive pleasure in just getting by. And they enjoy what they do. A true assessment of the bulk of work they have accumulated through all those years may prove the opposite of poverty. If they are rewarded the true worth of what is already produced, I am sure they would be under the headline of a different story. One of them said that art was his therapy. I feel the same way. If I was not doing art I think I would be mentally and physically deprived. Not a bad state to be in but not one that I was born to live half a century in. Based on the income of the mentioned artists and their age group, I am not doing much better than they are financially. Like them, I keep the majority of what I create and I do not try to sell them. They have a value that is much more rewarding than a monetary one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00842.JPG
Views:	520
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	8632  
Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
ISC Member

Re: Happy, Poor, Old, city artists

Hi, I have 2 wonderful friends of mine living that life, she's a painter, he's a sculptor and they live in a dilapidated rent stabilized apartment in the city. No car, there bikes are kept in the kitchen and in order to open the oven door you've got to move a sculpture out of the way, no thanks!
Everything is a struggle especially for him, finding studio space that's somewhat secure and then where to put the sculptures when he's finished them, lugging sculpture around the city on the subway if he can't find a friend with a vehicle, no thanks!
Finding p/t teaching gigs to earn enough to get by.
Not to mention living in an expensive city and practically being in poverty all the time and they've been doing this for at least 25 years.
I love this couple, they're great friends but I wouldn't trade my life for theirs.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 06-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Level 10 user

happy, poor, old, city artists

On the other side of this fence is a third world country. Measurable with a measuring tape is the distance between a house in the United States, with running water and electricity and on the other side, a cardboard house with no running water and no electricity.
I admire this guy Rauschenberg. He donated millions to the causes of health and poverty. Some people are totally happy to live with the bare minimum. It may take an artist to survive this level of poverty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv reporter jesse chavez show how easy it is to penetrate us and mexico.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	8640  
Old 06-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Level 10 user

some people are happy anywhere and other people are miserable anywhere.

so surprising...not
Old 06-21-2008, 02:28 AM
Level 10 user

CoolJames......you hit the nail on the head. Finding ones place/places is a lifes work. What I find so compelling is how people set themselves up to create the contrasts that are needed to tell the difference between their happy and unhappy zones. Finding ones self and ones happiness may be easy for some but for many it takes alot of trial and error. Happiness and fullfillment may ultimately be found within but when it lines up with the outside world .......it is even more meaningful.

I like to think I take my bliss where ever I go, but I've found that some places make it easier to be me than others.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Level 10 user

I don't think happiness and money have much to do with eachother, if it did you wouldn't see jillionaire hollywood elitists all disfiguring themselves with plastic surgery. You'd think they had a better self-image.. I've been dirt poor and well off and that's all a matter of choice in a free country, not so everywhere..
Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblecutter View Post
On the other side of this fence is a third world country. Measurable with a measuring tape is the distance between a house in the United States, with running water and electricity and on the other side, a cardboard house with no running water and no electricity.
I admire this guy Rauschenberg. He donated millions to the causes of health and poverty. Some people are totally happy to live with the bare minimum. It may take an artist to survive this level of poverty.
This border since this photo has become a war zone. A Rabbit proof fence in Coyote time.